Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 06-28-2007, 01:23 AM   #11
BSOD

Default Re: Dell owns alienware?

yea like my aunts

Dark Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 01:52 AM   #12
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to alvino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelis View Post
Ahh whatever, a dell is a dell. If you want performance and looks, go for Sony VAIOs. Especially good are their SZ or TX lines.

As for Dell owning Alienware, it doesn't really impact either company, except that Dell gets better revenues now, and Alienware gets money from dell to make their comps.
They're not that bad. Now I would take the XPS M1330. It's priced cheaper and I think it looks nice. Maybe not AS nice, but it's still nice.

alvino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 02:11 AM   #13
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to D-Lew

Eh, my Dell was around $800 and it's still running strong about 6 years later.
D-Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 02:15 AM   #14
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm

Yeah, the old dells are great, I would pick one up if I could. But these newer low-end ones... Maybe if they got some competent TS people who know that a clicking hard drive is not normal (I had a dell tech support person tell me that) I would consider a lower end one.

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 02:19 AM   #15
BSOD

but even if its a $300 dell if it fits ur needs its a good computer. ppl waste money on $1500 when the dont use it. i need more parts, and compman is helping, so my dell fits my needs. now it runs a little slow for wat i want.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:09 AM   #16
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to alvino

Quote:
Originally Posted by celegorm View Post
Yeah, the old dells are great, I would pick one up if I could. But these newer low-end ones... Maybe if they got some competent TS people who know that a clicking hard drive is not normal (I had a dell tech support person tell me that) I would consider a lower end one.
The new ones aren't bad either.

Just a hint: If you're dying for better customer support, you're better off buying from the Small Office/Business department of Dell. Chances the tech support are domestic rather than outsourced, which means you won't be facing any language barriers.
alvino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 05:19 AM   #17
muz
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by celegorm View Post
Only true if you get a high end Dell. The lower-end ones (about $900 and cheaper) are crap. I see them in with dead motherboards or failing hard drives all the time after about two years of use if not less.
mine cost around 280 so $560 and its still going good after about 18 months , not a single problem other then the ammount of dust that it sucks in so it needs cleaning every few months but we do have a dog and my parents smoke so i suppose it is bad cos before we got a dog it could go 4-5 months before a clean

another thing HD's can go bad in any brand of computer so you ant realy count a failed hard drive as dells fault
and yeah in the budget comps the mobos are pretty cheap for instance i bought mine when socet 775 was about and it has a celeron D which can be bought in socet 775 varient but instead i ended up with a socket 478 board and ddr ram the board has no agp or pci e slot just 3 pci slots so but it aint failed yet
Old 06-28-2007, 10:11 AM   #18
BSOD

^^^because they prob fit you needs. your not using it for 20 diferent things. Y wastse money on a computer you wont even use.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:38 AM   #19
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvino View Post
The new ones aren't bad either.

Just a hint: If you're dying for better customer support, you're better off buying from the Small Office/Business department of Dell. Chances the tech support are domestic rather than outsourced, which means you won't be facing any language barriers.
No my Dad's work had a contract with Dell, so they had a million Dell's GX280's, and 270's, if you called the tech support line you could barely understand a bit of what the tech had to stay(not like you wanted to hear it anyways it was probably wrong). And if you talked to them online my Dad had gotten so good he could just get them to realise that the part was gone and he needed a new one in one sentence lol! Its was funny.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:37 PM   #20
BSOD

lol... i rather have a custom built one but my dads company pays for our computer so.