Defrag and cleaning, and updating...stuffs.

Kage

Golden Master
I just defragged my entire drive after a while (I was too low on space to defrag on the C drive using Windows built in defragger, so I cleaned up the drive a bit, deleting and moving what I wanted onto the E drive).

Result? I can feel its faster, but to explain that feeling?... I cannot.
But it sure hell feels faster, so thats good enough for me.

I actually used the JKDefragger instead of the usual Windows one that has been linked on this here site before, and I love it. It even has a nice little GUI box that shows you what its doing (sort of. A big mass of green, some yellow, and hopefully not much red...)

Amazing what a difference (or the feel....) it can make to the computer.

I am now proceeding to update all drivers, and to update software (Winamp for instance, which went well, as its been asking me for about 2 weeks), before heading to bed to sleep for the...morning.

I actually sort of enjoy doing these little routines as it sort of pleases me to know I'm doing the best I can to ensure I get the best experience I can while doing what I want to do.

So, if you are reading this terribly long thread, I insist you do the same :)

JK Defrag link:
http://www.kessels.com/Jkdefrag/

Enjoy fellow CFer's.

EDIT:

I do this sort of thing kinda regulary, but my X-FI drivers are terribly out of date, but won't be for long, as is my graphics driver, which again, won't be for long (but I find doing that a lot more daunting than updating sound)

EDIT 2 (The end of the rant):

Have you ever downloaded an update file, only to then forget about it, and when you do finally come to update the said program, there is another new update to replace the one you were going to put on? It'd be great if there was a said downloader that could find an older update installation file and replace it with a new one.

Haha, you know you want to... (even though my computer is now clean, I feel kind of sorry for my room...)

It definietly has.

I have now updated sound drivers. No more will I have to keep de-selecting Digital out and then selecting it again after starting up the PC.

Startup has definietly increased in speed. Dare I say doubled.

The Windows defragger though doesn't do the hard drive any justice at all.

Nice, not heard of that defragger before. I'll try it :) It's strange how a new program can become all the rage so fast :p

As for the update checker, Filehippo doesn't tend to have the up to date versions of all software, but thats certainly interesting an I'll try it, thanks :)

EDIT:

The defragger seems to be working well! Its defragging files JK Defragger couldn't by the looks of it, unless the programs use an algrorithm that can swap around each time you run it.
Speed increased by 3% apparently, haha, defragging an extra 180 files on the C drive, and 49 on the E drive.
I'm impressed :D

Back
Top Bottom