Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-12-2009, 03:47 PM   #1
Solid State Member
Default deal went south on me.

Hi all, I would just like to get an opinion here about a problem I seem to have.
I upgraded to a newer used laptop computer from an older laptop and decided to sell the old one on Craigslist. I listed it for $350 and after much interest I sat down with a buyer at a coffee shop and she gave it the once over. The laptop worked fine for me all the time I had it and after 20 minutes to 1/2 hour we struck up a deal for $320. This was two Sundays ago and last Saturday a friend of hers calls me up and says that the laptop is not working nor has it worked since Tuesday and I have two options - I can either fix it or refund her money, I said she bought it as is and I am not a store it was a private sale. He then threatened to come to my house so I hung up. The next day I get an email from her saying she works in the legal field and I don't realize who I am dealing with and says either give her money back or she is taking me to small claims court telling me I shouldn't sell junk knowing it is no good. I feel that if she contacted me right away and asked what can we do about this I might feel differently. The way she initiated this with threats of coming to my home or taking me to court was wrong. I responded back telling her that I don't like being threatened and she had ample time to think this through and I would take some time to let her know.
I know I sold a good working laptop and she had ample time to make her decision, being able to walk away from the deal.
What are your thoughts on this?

wslctrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:54 PM   #2
Golden Master
Send a message via AIM to Rubber314Chicken
Default Re: deal went south on me.

You sold it to her and there was no warranty mentioned, or guarantee that it worked, so I don't think she can do much. She probably just wants her money back or something.

AMD Athlon 64X2 4200+, 2 GB ram, 2 TB HDD, Ubuntu+SAMBA ♫ Lenovo T410, i5@ 2.4 GHz, 4 GB ram, 7
Rubber314Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:55 PM   #3
Daemon Poster

I think she has no argument. When you buy from a private dealer, it usually is "buy as is". You have no guarantee or warranty and she knew that.
allendale2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:38 PM   #4
Site Team

If it was working when she bought it and then stopped working a couple of days later, then that is unfortunate for her, but that is part of buying something as is in a private sale.
1st Puter - Intel Pent D 3.4GHz, 2 GIG Ram, GeForce 9800GT, Windows 7 Home.
2nd Puter - AMD Athlon Dual Core 2.69GHz, 2 GIG Ram, GeForce 7600GT, XP Home.
Lappy - Intel Dual Core 1.73GHz, 2 GIG Ram, Vista Home Premium.
Piss off George Monks = gmcrepair? YES, YES it was.
Yeah he likes to boost his count.
T-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:08 PM   #5
Golden Master

yer i dont think there is any way she could pursue this in the small claims court as a private sale there is no regulation to cover the sale of your items
Desktop-AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+-2GB Elixer DDR2 800 250gb+500gb+500gb+120gb
Laptop-Apple Macbook Pro 13" Intel core i5(2.3ghz) 4gb Ram 320gb hard drive
muz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:25 PM   #6
Golden Master
Send a message via MSN to mark thorpe Send a message via Yahoo to mark thorpe

sold as seen.. you didnt offer a warranty.. she doesnt have a clue what shes on about, theres nothing she can do, let her take you to small claims.. she wont get anything if you didnt offer a warranty
'I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.'

Winston Churchill, 11/30/1874 - 01/24/1965
mark thorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:40 PM   #7
Daemon Poster

Exactly..it was a used, what-you-see-is-what-you-get deal and quite honestly that's the risk one should expect with buying a used laptop (not that was anything wrong with it in the first place). Hell, she should know this if she's in the legal field..
Ahyoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:56 PM   #8
Fully Optimized

Unless you signed a contract or gave her a guarantee, she has nothing on you. If that guy who threatened you calls again, you can call the cops on him.
Macook 13.3

2.13Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo-2GB DDR2 800 Mhz-500GB Western Digital Caviar Blue- Nvidia 9400M
rohan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:40 PM   #9
Daemon Poster

Yeah you have nothing to worry about...The fact that you even met the person and showed them that it worked makes it even more in your favor... Without taking it apart there is no way of telling if they spilled a soda on it, dropped it off their lap, their kid put it in a fish tank, ninjas came in at night and downloaded virus's...If you buy something a private sale and it works perfectly after your inspection and you purchase it anything that goes wrong from that point on is your own problem....Don't worry about small claims court, I'd be more worried about the guy coming and kicking your ass...Best option is send her a nice email stating that she checked it out and it worked fine when you sold it to her and there is no chance of her getting a refund for that reason and tell her if her or the other guy contacts you with any more threats that the police will get involved. Save a copy of ALL the emails that have been sent and received so far as proof to your case if she does decide to bring you to court.
Raidmax Smilodon Extreme Black Case -|-AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE @ 3829.50 Mhz (18.5 x 207, vcore 1.424, NB 2600 mhz, HT link 2200 mhz) -|- Xigmatek Dark Knight S1283V -|- Gigabyte MA790XT-UD4P Mobo -|- G. Skill 6Gb (3 x 2Gb) DDR3 1333 RAM 7-7-7-18-2t -|- WD Caviar 7200 RPM 1 TB HDD -|- OCZ GameXtreme 700W -|- Radeon 4870 1Gb @ 780/1050 -|- Asus VW202NR 20" wide-screen -|- Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit -|- Saitek Cyborg Keyboard -|- Razer Lachesis Mouse
PokerDegenerate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:46 PM   #10
Site Team

personally i would tell her to insert it into her rear end sideways

JogaBonito1502: I guess Microsoft is really not to blame. Sorry!

Lowndsey is offline   Reply With Quote