Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 03-01-2007, 03:14 PM   #1
Golden Master

Default Dam floods town in Pennsylvania

At the moment I am watching Sky3, & it is showing old movies of the day in 1889, when the South Fork dam burst in Pennsylvania flooding the town of Johnstown with 200 million tons of water from Lake Conemaugh, killing over 2200 people.
Do any members who live in the area, have grandparents or greatgrandparents who can recall this, or perhaps members have read about about it in libraries?

Brookfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 07:39 PM   #2
Daemon Poster

Default Re: Dam floods town in Pennsylvania

As a matter of fact my great great grandfather lived there when he moved here from Germany. Dunno a whole lot concerning him and the dam though.

◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲◤
PCNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 08:11 PM   #3
Fully Optimized

Send a message via ICQ to ^Mike^ Send a message via AIM to ^Mike^ Send a message via MSN to ^Mike^ Send a message via Yahoo to ^Mike^

My dad was born in Johnstown and grew up there, and we visit the town all the time when we visit relatives. That is why they built the incline plane. You can still find items stuck in the mountain bank.
^Mike^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:35 AM   #4
Golden Master

Send a message via Yahoo to Tommy Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookfield
At the moment I am watching Sky3, & it is showing old movies of the day in 1889, when the South Fork dam burst in Pennsylvania flooding the town of Johnstown with 200 million tons of water from Lake Conemaugh, killing over 2200 people.
Do any members who live in the area, have grandparents or greatgrandparents who can recall this, or perhaps members have read about about it in libraries?
You sure it was 1889?

My boss used to live in Ebensburg (right near Johnstown) back in the 70's and when he first moved there he talked about the big Johnstown flood. He said things like he had to live in a pop up camper for a while because there was no place to stay. He moved down there for a teaching job.

Or maybe there were 2 big floods down there, I really don't know.

Edit: I just did some research and it was 1977 that it happened again. Not as bad as the first time though. That is the one that my boss was involved in.

I still have the same old HP DV9700T laptop I've had for years...still kickin'
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 10:38 AM   #5
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Boy
You sure it was 1889?

My boss used to live in Ebensburg (right near Johnstown) back in the 70's and when he first moved there he talked about the big Johnstown flood. He said things like he had to live in a pop up camper for a while because there was no place to stay. He moved down there for a teaching job.

Or maybe there were 2 big floods down there, I really don't know.

Edit: I just did some research and it was 1977 that it happened again. Not as bad as the first time though. That is the one that my boss was involved in.
Yep as you found out, there was another one in 1977, when I was 46, no where near as bad, go here;

www.johnstonpa.com/History/hist21.html
Brookfield is offline   Reply With Quote