Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Join Computer forums Today

Old 06-16-2010, 11:48 AM   #1
In Runtime
Smile Crazy Computer Stories

I currently work at a University computer tech desk and help students remove viruses, get their computer registered to our network or fi hardware issues. Their have been many interesting stories that have ran into in our office. I would like to share one with you that will always make my day. I was also wishing that I could hear some stories from you.

Here's my story:

An Asian guy brought his laptop and asking us to try get his computer to turn on. Well I took in laptop and told the guy that I would give him a call when it was done.

Well he was right, the computer would not just turn on. So like every tech (at least I would think), I started hardware removal just to try narrowing down the issue. Well I flipped over the computer and there was rust all over the bottom the computer including around the battery and its terminals. It kinda raised my eye about that and stopped troubleshooting because it could of been a fire hazard.

Well I gave the guy a call asking if he could come in and talk about the issue. He came in and I showed him the bottom of his computer explaining that it was a fire hazard. Well then I asked, "Do you know how this would have happened?" And he very directly told me, "I set my laptop in a tub of water because it got too hot."

I about busted out laughing because I just didn't believe he told me that. But, me being nice, I told him we couldn't work on his computer because of the fire hazard and he understood were I was coming from.

From this day on, this story is going to pass on till I graduate.

thompatry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:53 AM   #2
Site Team
Default Re: Crazy Computer Stories

OMFG lmao

Humans are the only creatures that won't live up to the their potential. Give everything your all. When you die, die on E.

So I ask you, what do you intend to do now?
iPwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:13 PM   #3
Fully Optimized

i commend you, Sir. you've made my day :L

i heard something similar in a PC store once, dude assumed he could clean his iphone in the sink.
EVGA SLI Micro Z68 // Intel i5-2500k // 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz // Overclocked 2GB MSI R9 270X // Corsair Carbide SPEC-03 // Kingston Hyper-X 120GB // 2TB WD Green + 500GB WD Black
~Darkseeker~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:46 PM   #4
Fully Optimized
Send a message via MSN to tom-knox

^ I'm sure there's an app for that
New laptop:
2.1 Ghz Core 2 Duo processor :: nVidia GT150m :: 15.6" HD LCD :: 4gb RAM :: 320gb HDD

New player: iPhone 4 32gb
tom-knox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:17 PM   #5
Fully Optimized
Send a message via AIM to eslfish Send a message via MSN to eslfish Send a message via Yahoo to eslfish

Lmfao. That story....lolol...
XFIRE: Lindmando STEAM: Lindmando
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
4094MB RAM 500 GB HD ATI Radeon™ HD 5850 8800 GT
Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate
eslfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:44 PM   #6
Daemon Poster

Originally Posted by thompatry View Post
"I set my laptop in a tub of water because it got too hot."
Do not trifle with dragons, for you are small and crunchy and taste good with ketchup
MetalOverlord76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:46 PM   #7
Daemon Poster

I had a guy come in to my best buy yesterday with his laptop cuz his keyboard wasnt working. It smelled like someone had just pissed on it. I got him out of there as fast as I could. It amazes me how stupid some people are when it comes to computers...
My Desktop: Intel Core i7-970@4.5GHz 1.39V Stable--ASUS P6X58D-E--6GB Supertalent Chrome (Elpida Hyper) 1800MHz 6-6-6-24--eVGA GTX 580--Intel 510 120GB--WD 2TB Caviar Black--Silverstone RV03-EK Supreme HF w/ Black Ice GTX 480--Koolance VID-NX580

My Laptop: Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.4GHz--4GB DDR2 800MHz RAM--NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT-320GB hard drive
shozzking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:25 AM   #8
Site Team

There's water cooling, and there's "water cooling".

still wonder how the guy didn't get zapped a little.

Anyways, pretty good story there.

There's this site here:

Which is full of things like that, from the user AND technicians.
lhuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:07 AM   #9
Site Team

When I worked at a local Tech Store, the boss and I were standing in the front when an 'older' woman walked in with her computer. She sat it on the counter and the boss asked her what was wrong with it. Without hesitation she looked up at both of us and said her cup holder broke. I looked at him and he looked at me and we were both kind of confused. He asked her what she meant and she spun the computer around on the counter so the front of it was facing us and as she pointed to the CD Tray, repeated 'my cup holder broke when I put my coffee mug on it this morning'. I had to run to the back of the store to keep from laughing. I was still in earshot and got to listen as the boss tried his best to keep from laughing while he explained that the CD Tray isn't a cup holder and that it's for CD's. He then of course had to explain what a CD was. Once she left, he came back and we both had a good laugh about it and he was ragging on me for leaving him stranded up there by himself explaining all that too her.
Don't take life too seriously -- no one gets out alive. Plus, who wants to arrive to the hereafter in pristine condition wearing a suit and tie?
I want to slide in sideways, worn out, used up, hair a mess, clothes tattered, & screaming, "Whooo! What a ride!"
jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:02 AM   #10
Fully Optimized

I've had people tell me all sorts of BS when it comes to computers.

I was discussing AV software and was told that my rig was more open to viruses because I use Avast! instead of Nortorn 360...

And the discussion move on to hard ware where I was sworn to that the RAM on a machine holds data after power to it is removed! Therefore I was told that the RAM has to be changed if you have a virus! WTF?

After trying to educate them about basic hardware and it's purposes I gave up after he tried telling me that the hard drive doens't retain it's data after power is removed to it.

But hey, they also 'rely' on these 'free' registry editors/fixers to 'repair' their machine...

Lenovo ThinkPad T410 - i7 620M - 8GB RAM - Crucial M4 120GB SSD - 250GB 2nd drive - Intel HD 3000 GPU - 1440x900 - Windows 7/8
REMENIZ Computers
Remeniz is offline   Reply With Quote