Constantly being yelled at for messing with family Computer...

I used to get yelled at by certain members of my family when they wanted my help to fix something on their computer however when I'd go to fix something they'd freak out and be all like what are you doing that is going to mess it up. then after it's all fixed hours later they complain that it is screwed up worse than before when they really just went and undid what I did to fix the issue in the first place.

My dad doesn't have to worry about me screwing up his rig. I fix it more than anything and he screws it up. He just gets a little frustrated when there is a new learning curve involved ie. going from windows xp to windows 7. He'll have some real fun when/if he ever gets windows 8
I do get a little paranoid when we are out on the road for a few days and at a hotel with only my laptop and my dad wants to check his email. He hits the keys and especially the touchpad quite hard.

as for linux I now have 4 computers 2 of which are old and I screw around with. My old athlon xp 1800 rig is my linux/messing around rig with 2 200gb hard drives and recently found out it can go up to 3 gb of ram. Not bad for a 2002 era rig!

Pretty soon though i will retire this rig (in sig) to my screwing around rig if I build a new one this summer like I plan

I'm the one doing the yelling because I'm the one who has to fix it when it gets all screwed up.

Wonder if junior realized dad is member of this forum? If he didn't I'm certain he does now...

setishock said:
Wonder if junior realized dad is member of this forum? If he didn't I'm certain he does now...
No junior here, just other members of the household.

Last edited:
The only time my parents ever had to have a go at me was when I killed our first completer by accidentally shorting the power supply with a screw driver. it killed the processor.

That was at the time when I was adding a new 200MB hard drive to compliment the existing 812MB hard drive that we had.

I feel old saying that!!

^^ that reminds me ot 2 good stories from before I really knew what I was doing inside a computer.

The first one was when my dad messed up windows with a virus back in like 2002. He had windows 98 but I thought it would be good to put windows xp on it. So he left for the weekend and I got to installing it but part way through I got a BSOD and tried again same thing happened over and over. He came home and was a little frustrated but in the end it wasn't my fault it turned out the cpu fan was so clogged it had stopped entirely but for some reason still ran windows 98 in that state. He ended up getting a new mobo and processor and windows xp installed by my cousin who had a computer business.

The other story is when I was putting a dvd player in my rig in 2003. I got my dads help because I had no real idea what I was doing (neither did he) but together we managed to install it properly but since we didn't unplug the computer from the wall it killed the mobo. My dad was mad since he thought i was blaming him for what happened. neither of us were really too careful when working in the computer.

The only time my parents ever had to have a go at me was when I killed our first completer by accidentally shorting the power supply with a screw driver. it killed the processor. ...
My parents never got on my case about messing with the family computer because we never had one when I was growing up. The most technologically advanced item my parents ever used was a microwave oven. However, my daughter has a similar story to tell.

In 1991, a buddy of mine built his first computer but couldn't get it to power up so he brought it to my house for me to look at. We set it up on the kitchen table and after some tinkering, I got it working. We were sitting there admiring our handiwork when the machine suddenly died. I heard a noise so I stood up and peered over the top of the tower case to see my 2-yr old daughter sitting there with a screwdriver in her hand. Apparently, she had shorted out something with the screwdriver. I thought my friend was going to insist that I replace the motherboard but instead he took it back to where he bought it and they exchanged it for another.

When I was a kid, my mother never trusted me with her computer, and... well... now I could build her a new one faster and more efficient than any computer she's ever and will ever have, so... yeah... VICTORY, BIATCH! xD

Back
Top Bottom