The Consequences of Losing #NetNeutrality

Where was i during all this??? asleep at the switch i was....

That's what started the whole net neutrality thing.
trying to condense lots of information.

there are pretty much 3 types of providers to the internet.
Tier 1, these reach "most" places, they are people like GTT, NTT, cogent, Layer 3 etc, they have networks across the world.
these are the kind of players that will own the under sea cables. that connect continents.

Tier 2, these providers are like super regional providers, they may supply to a country, but not to the world, they will need to peer with tier 1 providers in order to "reach" everywhere in the world. these are guys like BT, Telus, Verizon, Comcast, and they will usually peer with multiple tier 1 providers.

Tier 3, these are regional providers, people like Kcom in the UK, or Cleveland one in the US. these guys serve only small areas, (i.e they don't personally have global reach.) they must peer to reach places outside their service area. they usually peer with a single higher tier ISP, basically just having the last mile, operating customer services etc.

Everybody has an expense in setting up and sorting out those connections, and obviously the more traffic you carry, the more (newer and faster) equipment you need.

Hence why at a residential model we have a situation where if you want a faster connection you pay more.

the same is true for Tier 3 providers, when they want to offer a better service to their customers, they pay more to their upstream providers.

the people in the middle, (large tier 1 Say GTT and Level3) they both sell services in datacenters, and both sell to tier 2 providers.
so A BT (T2) customer in the UK, may request data from a website hosted in the states on GTT, then connection path may go like this:

BT (t2) -> layer3 (T1) -> GTT (T1) -> servrer

but at the same time there is pobably a person in the US requesting something from a Layer 3 hosted server in the UK.
Comcast -> GTT -> Layer3

Rather than working out the exact billing between then ISPs of the same tier, usually have a gentlemans agreement to carry each others traffic fairly, in the incoming/outgoing byte counts are roughly the same, so this make sense.

GTT don't bill Layer 3 for 100Tb of traffic for November, and then also pay a bill for 100Tb of traffic in December.

And yes, that is actually a little dodgy, for the rest of use exchange of services and bartering is legally the same as being paid to trade, and therefore is mostly used as a for of tax evasion.

This became a problem in 2014/15 for Comcast and the other provider where netflix hosted their services.

the trouble is that because so many want to watch netflix the "balance of traffic" became very unbalanced.
now rather that ISP saying to comcast I guess we both owe each other the same. now if they were exchanging invoices at the end of the month it'd look more like 100Tb invoice one way, 10,000tb invoice the other way.

the service providers didn't want to break their agreements to not actually bill each other and exchange money, so instead one ISP too steps to redress the balance by slowing down traffic to the other provider.

in many cases actually making the netflix service unusable to the customer.
and that was crappy, because netflix were providing the service, their servers and networks were good enough, it wasn't their fault that the service was bad, so they wouldn't release people from contracts or give refunds or compensation.

AND the ISP could happily say that the traffic shaping was inside their network policy, they were still providing connectivity of "upto" whatever speed they sold. (and you could see that with online speed checks,

it was ONLY netflix that was affected.

the net neutrality law had meant that the service provider could not favour one provider over another, -stopping specific throttling of netflix.

Of course the "REAL" solution to the problem wasn't to throttle the traffic, it should be to introduce billing metrics, rather than assume symmetric peering. the real problem is that these peering agreements were setup way before video streaming, when residential ISPs setup a good enough network to serve proper fast broadband, but ignored that upstream they would need to request more traffic, the assumptions of the past no longer hold true today, and they should have been changed.

the other trouble (in the US) is that you have defacto regional monopolies,
if you have a provider that won't pay their upstream provider for a decent amount of bandwidth, and want to keep assuming symetrical peering, and they get throttled because of that, you cannot move to a different provider, because there likely is not one in your region.

this net neutrality basically isn't an issue in places with real competition.
If I don't like my BT service, I can change is to sky, or talk talk, Bee, or any other provider I like,

I guess as long as america online don't try and make a comeback by charging you for internet service we will survive
I believe that AOL still exist, charging old people with broadband for dialup, even though they have broadband as they don't known that they can cancel dialup and still get the internet.

Man I hope things stay the same or get better I don't want it to be like the people's republic of china!

(I post this video for informational and comparative purposes)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJUGbENK8OQ

again the guy in the video is an idiot.

Yes, people protest if ISPs throttle connections. they did in the past. - when the ISPs throttled connections.

Getting gone after by the government and sued didn't worry the ISPs before, both Comcast and Verizon lied to their customers about their activities to throttle the connections, then they lied to the FCC about their activities to throttle connections.

The idea that social media firms are not playing nice is this guys stupidity again.
he is AGAIN conflating the idea of the ISP not slowing access to legal services and his express wish to disseminate his view on the internet using other peoples services,
he wants to write whatever he wants on twitter, he wants to be able to say whatever he likes on YouTube, AND he wants to force google/YouTube to host that for him, not only that, using their bandwidth, HDD CPU and memory, but he then wants to force them to show his videos in searches, and put adverts onto those videos, so that he can make money from that someone else's service...

Here is a more balanced view,
he can record whatever he likes, he can upoad whatever he likes in line with the terms of service.
If YouTube don't like it, and it falls into what they have said that they don't want on the site, they are free to remove it from their site.
If you tube allow it to stay, but decide that it's in some way edgy, so they want to balance enabling a platform for his view, so he can direct link himself to it, but not return it in search results, that is their right, they can manage their service how they like.
If advertisers wish to associate their product with certain people, or disassociate their product with certain people and views, he may find that his videos don't attract quality advertisers, or any advertisers...

That is not censorship. it has nothing to do with net neutrality.

If services failing to air your content is censorship, then why does he not view it as censorship that his videos are not played in local theaters?

Are we censoring views on this forum when moderators close threads, or remove posts? or are we just managing the service so that most people can get something out of it?

after this rant he says that ISPs hardly abused their power before, but they did! since the mid nineties there is case after case of carries blocking high traffic applications, Comcast blocked all P2P traffic (even legal uses like downloading free software (linux distros etc) because it interfered with their other business interest (stakes in Hulu etc). AT&T blocked skype on the iphone, and google chat, consumers took them to court and they said they weren't blocking applications, google were, - then google said, "yes, because AT&T asked us to!" AT&T requested apple block facetime unless connected to Wifi, so that people couldn't get free calls using a data allowance, it was a requirement before they would even add the iphone to their line up.
-basically, he's just flat out wrong again.

He then says:
"The internet at this point is basically google Amazon, ebay, youtube facebook and twitter."
Which actually helps to understand a lot of his stupitity, he sees the internet as a bunch of high profile content hosts.
ignores any smaller hosting provider, seems to completely ignore actual service providers, (you know the one who actually make up the network.) When he sayd that it does at least help why he keeps confusing the idea of an open network (i.e the ability to reach content hosts,) with content hosts not wanting to have certain view aired on their sites.

He says, that he's a Comcast customer and they don't throttle him... the problem is they (Comcast in particular) DID throttle access to services.

lastly, he states that facebook and you tube are worried about ISP sensoring their opinions,
He knows that the ISP cannot selectivly filter certain tweets or certain videos, just as he said earilier that they could not selectivly ban /pol as it was just a page.

not only does he seem selectivly clueless about the technical capability, he also seems genuinly clueless about the motivation of youtube.
Youtube aren't woried about censorship of their opinion, they are worried about a slow speed being unable to delivery adverts effectivly.

Those of you who have been around here a while know that I work for a company that provides outsourced support to other companies, and I used to work on call.

We once had a customer, that was a commercial broadcaster (funded by advertisements), one day in the middle of a Saturday evening, the system they use for scheduling adverts failed, so they called our service desk, the service desk duly logged a ticket and put it on hold until 8am Monday morning, as this company, when they negotiated their contract decided that they did not need and out of hours on call service.

The long and the short of the conversation with their most senior person that they could muster, is that they just didn't care about the cost, they recognized not having on call support was probably a bad move, and they would put in writing that they were happy for any staff, any number of staff at any level to work for any amount of time at any overtime rate until it was fixed.

Youtube, just like the commercial broadcast company that I was providing support for, are not in the business of showing your home movies or political views, they are in the business of selling advertising space. and just like that commercial broadcaster, anything that might interfere with the scheduling, cuing and delivery of those adverts is a problem, that if unresolved would be the end of their business.

That guy is insane. I think people just take everything for granted nowadays. They think they "deserve" to have a place that is free, where they can make public their concerns or dislikes or whatever, but the truth is, they don't. This places exist just because someone wants them to exist, and can dissapear at any moment. If they don't want to be censored, then they can create their own server, get their own website, pay for everything that needs to be paid for, and post their crap there. But that's not good enough. It has to be seen and heard by the entire world, and for free, or it's useless. What an annoying person...

Back
Top Bottom