Computers can be weird

Celery

Golden Master
Case in point:

You know that I've built a Ryzen 3 2200G system a few weeks ago. Ok, it works fine except for a couple of quirks. One, the sound was bad in my dos ported to Windows game Duke Nukem 3D. Two, the iGPU of this chip was as good as the HD7770 video card I have so I didn't put it in.

You may remember when I bought a 4 gig stick memory to add to my 8 gig stick. This is when I set up a ramdisk for the page file and I allocated two gigs for this.

All is well til I decided I want to use my video card and see how it goes. I put it in and hell broke loose. In a good way and the bad way.

My video was better with the card. My screen was smoother and more clarity. I was surprised as they were both 128 bit video but the card has DDR5 memory so that may be the difference though it's a 1 gig card.

My ramdisk quit working. No matter what I could not get it to work as a page file anymore so it's gone and Windows is managing it. Bummer.

I decided to play Duke Nukem (I love this game and I have 1000s of maps) and it wouldn't load. I tried again and it still wouldn't load.

Now WTF is this? So I ran setup and reconfigured everything and the sound is working correctly. The sound used to have a lot of static and now it's clean. I never could get it right before.

Weird right? So how weird did your computer get? :lol:

How are your running Duke3D? I use source port like EDuke32 and it does wonders. It can runt eh games as an exact copy of the original along side with other enhancements like image filtering and mouse aiming. This should take care of all Dos problems since it will be running on Windows natively. The Dos executable and other related stuff won't be used at all. The .GRP files (if I remember the name correctly) are needed. Maybe some other files are needed but not the executables.

Even the other similar popular games at the time like Doom, Shadow Warrior and Blood received such source ports. It revived them for ages to come. Even now Doom gets modes and maps on with new additions thanks to the new stuff support of those source ports.

My video was better with the card. My screen was smoother and more clarity. I was surprised as they were both 128 bit video but the card has DDR5 memory so that may be the difference though it's a 1 gig card.

Proving yourself wrong that memory bandwidth affects image quality?

:angel:

Last edited:
I'm using Eduke32 and no I did not prove myself wrong. Bandwidth does affect picture quality. It only proved that the video card is better than the iGPU.

There's more to video than just bandwidth and memory. Maybe my card had more cudas.

Now I have to go back to those old games and play them.

Speak of weirdness, with major updates all internal storage drives become unaccessable (if this is a word) except the OS and one other (I have six in total). I have to run several diagnosis and they suddenly work without applying any fixes as if nothing happened.

LOL. I just had a weirdness when none of my DVDs would play in MPC. It keeps throwing "copy protect fail". Took me a moment to realize that I haven't installed the video card drivers. DUH!

Now I have to go back to those old games and play them.

Speak of weirdness, with major updates all internal storage drives become unaccessable (if this is a word) except the OS and one other (I have six in total). I have to run several diagnosis and they suddenly work without applying any fixes as if nothing happened.

Stuff like this makes me nervous about the really advanced AI. One glitch like that and we'll be gonezo. haha

Since I've put in my new Ryzen 5 2600 I was getting freezes/lockups at random. Took me a while to find out that the CPU firmware needed an update. I found that I had my Windows Update on manual so I ran it.

Problem solved. Weird.

Yo SG, I did research on video card functions and it turned out it's a combination of memory and bandwidth (and what else) that produce the quality of the picture. The higher the bandwidth the better. Same with the memory.

I thought firmware needed to be flashed into the the CPU with special software/methods, not thru a Windows update. Hmm... My life has been a lie all this time!!!

Yes, that's what I know too. What I wanted to say is that bus width (called interface width too); e.g. 128-bit, has no sole impact on image quality. Bandwidth is a different thing which is measured in GB/sec. and accordingly memory speed which measures in MHz. Yet even those affect reaching ending image quality faster, not the image quality itself. Lower bandwidth video cards cause high quality images to pop-up starting with a low quality images at first.

I might have confused using terminologies bus/interface width with bandwidth before.

GTX 1080 Ti uses 352-bit and the newer RTX 2080 uses 256-bit. I have difficulty seeing the latter having lower image quality because of the sole reason of using 256-bit.

That's what I wanted to say back then before deciding you know better than me in this.

Stuff like this makes me nervous about the really advanced AI. One glitch like that and we'll be gonezo. haha

Wait until you hear this: some people had some files deleted after updates and some others Windows license removed after a blue screen. Guess it's better to tie Windows license with the email account.

Apparently Windows can write to the CPU. :eek:

I've read that more bandwidth means better performance but others comes to play. Maybe that's what improved the picture quality. It's all about performance.

Back
Top Bottom