Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-09-2010, 05:18 AM   #1
Daemon Poster
 
Fanatic4Christ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,351
Default College, Financial Aid and the works.

So pretty much at the end of this month I'm going to be jobless (company is closing) and I want to take this time to be able to go back to school for an obvious reason, I mean I'm 20 years old and the economy is terrible. I would love to be able to make this time as being useful. My current career path is and has been to be a police officer. In 2008 I lost 100 pounds and then started training so I could be in good enough physical health. Plan was to go by the end of this year but obviously that is not the field to be in right now and the academy is closed for now. I would love to have a fall back plan that's going to have similar pay because of the risk of being injured on the job is a lot higher.


Pretty much I want to be financially stable because I will be on my own on paying for everything so what do you guy's all think about this?

Thanks.
__________________

__________________
Jesus died for me and you.
AMD Athlon II 250 3.6ghz | ASRock N68C-S | Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 3850 PCI-E 512MB | SteelSeries Siberia USB Soundcard | Western Digital 250GB | LOGISYS 575watt PSU | Crucial 2GB ram DDR3
Fanatic4Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 12:47 PM   #2
Golden Master
 
superman22x's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,903
Send a message via MSN to superman22x Send a message via Yahoo to superman22x
Default Re: College, Financial Aid and the works.

Just keep searching for jobs... If you want high risk, high pay jobs... Go out to North Dakota and work on an oil rig.
If you want High education high pay jobs, the highest 4 year degree you can get(besides a mining concentration) is chemical engineering.

If you want all 3, mining engineering. Pays a lot, plenty of jobs, and risky business.

Basically, it's hard to choose a career for you. Take one of those career tests for some help though. I'm sure you can find them all over the net.
Look into cheaper and good schools also. I don't know many good schools other than for engineering, but South Dakota School of Mines and Tech is extremely cheap, and you can get a good engineering education there or a mining concentration as well. Only 14k a year for out of staters... And you pretty much automatically get a 2k a year scholarship for the first two years.
__________________

__________________
“Adults are just obsolete children and the hell with them.” - Dr. Suess
superman22x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:49 PM   #3
Daemon Poster
 
Legodude522's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,303
Default Re: College, Financial Aid and the works.

Join the military? You seem to have the self determination to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman22x View Post
Just keep searching for jobs... If you want high risk, high pay jobs... Go out to North Dakota and work on an oil rig.
If you want High education high pay jobs, the highest 4 year degree you can get(besides a mining concentration) is chemical engineering.

If you want all 3, mining engineering. Pays a lot, plenty of jobs, and risky business.

Basically, it's hard to choose a career for you. Take one of those career tests for some help though. I'm sure you can find them all over the net.
Look into cheaper and good schools also. I don't know many good schools other than for engineering, but South Dakota School of Mines and Tech is extremely cheap, and you can get a good engineering education there or a mining concentration as well. Only 14k a year for out of staters... And you pretty much automatically get a 2k a year scholarship for the first two years.
Makes me want to get MSA certification.
__________________
PC: Intel i7 4790K, 16gb RAM, MSI R7 250 2gb
Phone: Apple iPhone 6s 64gb
Handheld Games: Nintendo 3DS XL, Tapwave Zodiac 2, GamePark Holdings GP2X F100
Legodude522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:51 PM   #4
Daemon Poster
 
CrackerJacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 987
Send a message via Skype™ to CrackerJacker
Default Re: College, Financial Aid and the works.

Hm you can go reserves, I wish I did that instead :/ Work part time military
__________________
USAF KC-135R Crew Chief
i7 2770 @ 3.4ghz, Geforce GTX 560 ti, 8GB DDR3 1600, SSD 120gb, cup holder
I would imagine if you could understand Morse Code, a tap dancer would drive you crazy
CrackerJacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 07:29 PM   #5
Golden Master
 
superman22x's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,903
Send a message via MSN to superman22x Send a message via Yahoo to superman22x
Default Re: College, Financial Aid and the works.

Military isn't taking many newbies anymore...
__________________
“Adults are just obsolete children and the hell with them.” - Dr. Suess
superman22x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 07:35 PM   #6
Daemon Poster
 
CrackerJacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 987
Send a message via Skype™ to CrackerJacker
Default Re: College, Financial Aid and the works.

Iduno about that.. heh
__________________
USAF KC-135R Crew Chief
i7 2770 @ 3.4ghz, Geforce GTX 560 ti, 8GB DDR3 1600, SSD 120gb, cup holder
I would imagine if you could understand Morse Code, a tap dancer would drive you crazy
CrackerJacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:10 PM   #7
Daemon Poster
 
Fanatic4Christ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,351
Default Re: College, Financial Aid and the works.

I honestly don't feel that I would be able to be committed to joining the army. I already took the test to see what career they would let me choose and I can do pretty much anything I want. Just doesn't seem like the life style for me, being away from friends / family. I don't think I could do that.

Hmm I'm going to have to take one of those tests... I wanted to do computers back in high school but I ended up seeing that I like to do that as a hobby, same with working on cars. Kind of difficult to choose a back up plan.
__________________
Jesus died for me and you.
AMD Athlon II 250 3.6ghz | ASRock N68C-S | Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 3850 PCI-E 512MB | SteelSeries Siberia USB Soundcard | Western Digital 250GB | LOGISYS 575watt PSU | Crucial 2GB ram DDR3
Fanatic4Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:27 PM   #8
Golden Master
 
superman22x's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,903
Send a message via MSN to superman22x Send a message via Yahoo to superman22x
Default Re: College, Financial Aid and the works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackerJacker View Post
Iduno about that.. heh
My friend just tried and he is one of the most fit guys I know, they denied him and said they weren't accepting that many new soldiers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanatic4Christ View Post
Hmm I'm going to have to take one of those tests... I wanted to do computers back in high school but I ended up seeing that I like to do that as a hobby, same with working on cars. Kind of difficult to choose a back up plan.
Same hobbies as me! Go into Mechanical Engineering, haha
__________________
“Adults are just obsolete children and the hell with them.” - Dr. Suess
superman22x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:41 PM   #9
Daemon Poster
 
Legodude522's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,303
Default Re: College, Financial Aid and the works.

I love working with computers. Hardware and software, I'm good at it. But I'm absolutely terrible at programming. Never took and computer courses because it would be a waste if I already know the stuff. I'm not trying to brag, most of the people here should know what I mean. I like to learn. I eventually figured out it's not technology that I love, it's problem solving. Put anything in front of me and I'll fix it. I can build stuff too.

Right now I'm working as an environmental technician. I spend my whole day troubleshooting equipment. I feel accomplished when I fix something.
__________________
PC: Intel i7 4790K, 16gb RAM, MSI R7 250 2gb
Phone: Apple iPhone 6s 64gb
Handheld Games: Nintendo 3DS XL, Tapwave Zodiac 2, GamePark Holdings GP2X F100
Legodude522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:04 PM   #10
Golden Master
 
superman22x's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,903
Send a message via MSN to superman22x Send a message via Yahoo to superman22x
Default Re: College, Financial Aid and the works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legodude522 View Post
I love working with computers. Hardware and software, I'm good at it. But I'm absolutely terrible at programming. Never took and computer courses because it would be a waste if I already know the stuff. I'm not trying to brag, most of the people here should know what I mean. I like to learn. I eventually figured out it's not technology that I love, it's problem solving. Put anything in front of me and I'll fix it. I can build stuff too.

Right now I'm working as an environmental technician. I spend my whole day troubleshooting equipment. I feel accomplished when I fix something.
That's kind of how I am. I like to work with things...
__________________

__________________
“Adults are just obsolete children and the hell with them.” - Dr. Suess
superman22x is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0