Coast Guard to set oil spill on fire

Sure, im fully expecting it to be positioned correctly.

If it was an easy 'quick fix' solution such as this, why didnt they do it a week ago?

Maybe the construction of the funnel? Then theres probably a lot of problems that arise with the pressure / oil etc etc.

As I say though im confident. I mean can you imagine the scientists / head of operations being asked:

'So when you decided to drop a 100 tonne piece of concrete into the sea, did you not think of X, Y and Z'

We will see how it develops..

The thing is, nothing of this magnitude has even been engineered before. EVER. They've made a ton of these funnel things, but never for an application this extreme. So they needed a team of engineers on it to make sure it'd work. And it will. Its just that its a band-aid, not a fix.

They should round up all those who chanted "Drill baby, drill" to go clean up this mess. Unsurprisingly they're all quiet now that this happened... :rolleyes:

Such a shame.

That is the plan, but I cannot see them getting it in place.

I wish we would do it the russian way, and just nuke it. That is how they deal with their oils spills.

Btw it should be called the kraken. Release the Kraken!!!!!

why can't they get it into place? they have submersible equipment to guide the dome to the leak.

And I agree, burning it may just be negligible. I remember in the 90's, the Kuwait war, oil fields were burning for days and the country was engulfed entirely in black smoke.

As an environmental technician, BURN IT! It would be a lot better.

I think >>THINK<< they are basically going to put this huge dome thing ontop to act as a 'funnel' to funnel the oil all out of 1 specific point, rather than huge holes (or whetever its coming out at the moment). Then it should be easier to control / maintain / block up / divert / Whatever they plan on doing with it.
Any how do they plan on sealing it after they have it in this funnel? I don't understand it at all.

The giant concrete outhouse will have 5000 feet of tubing, running up to an oil tanker, which will have the oil pumped into it. It looks like they just cannot let go of this well.

The giant concrete outhouse will have 5000 feet of tubing, running up to an oil tanker, which will have the oil pumped into it. It looks like they just cannot let go of this well.

That's not why they are doing this. First off the oil they do get will be full of some chemical they are adding to keep it from clogging (which didn't work). Second off they are doing this because they need to drill a relief well before they can cap this one. So until that's done this will continue to leak. So they are trying this to help keep the leak minimal.

SO no, its not all being done to BP's benefit, but rather they are trying to make use of what otherwise would go to waste. Which in a situation like this, when they are screwed, is a pretty smart thing to do.

Back
Top Bottom