Cloud Storage Questions

alucard10

Baseband Member
Are there any cloud storage services that allow you to pay once by the gigabyte
not by time (like for example by the mounth)?

So you can for example, buy 5 GB of storage put a bunch of files on it then forget about it for tree years and it will all still be there.

Or do all cloud storage services involve some kind of continuous billing?

Are there any cloud storage services that allow you to pay once by the gigabyte
not by time (like for example by the mounth)?

So you can for example, buy 5 GB of storage put a bunch of files on it then forget about it for tree years and it will all still be there.

Or do all cloud storage services involve some kind of continuous billing?
Why do you want to pay a cloud service to store 5 GB of files.
Get a external USB and store your files. Get a 2TB External. That will take you a while to fill up. Why back up for a month, when you can back up for ever on a external??:D

I was simply wondering if there is a way you can pay once for some cloud storage have it forever and not have to continuous pay a bill for it.

Usually no, you pay per GB per month.

Anyone who is running a cloud storage place has to recover costs. simply put, you can't expect to keep disks spinning for five years, instant access to your data at no cost.

you should consider some other options that may be available:

if you've only got a few important docs that you want to keep (i.e you want your resume, or deeds to your house or something filing away, then you could email it to yourself.

if you've got a bunch of huge files that are not suited to being emailed, and your biggest concern is off site backup rather than instant access then you can use either a disk, or USB pen drive and a storage facility (something like Iron Mountain).

If you just want to backup a bunch of files, don't care how long it takes to get them back, you're only worried about risk of fire/flood etc for your backup, then put it on a pen drive and ask a friend (or parents) to look after it for you at their house (assuming you don't live with your parents.)

My guess is you used 5GB as an example and you actually have more data than that.

However, on the off chance that you aren't talking about substantially more data, you may be able to store your data at zero cost. I have free accounts with Google Drive, MS OneDrive and DropBox. I have 15GB of storage space on Drive, 40GB on OneDrive and 8GB on DropBox all of which are free accounts that I pay zero per month for.

strollin,
I was thinking about that after I looked in to google drive.

16 GB would be good.

You say
"all of which are free accounts that I pay zero per month for."

Does this mean that as long as you dont store more than the free 16GB you can forget google drive exist ,than 5 years later go to google drive and your files will still be accessible? (you don't have to continuously deal with any billing as long as you stay below the free 16GB?)

If so that would be convenient. plus I could get the free GBs from mutible site like you did.

I've had Google Drive for a long time, can't say how long. Stayed below the limit. Never had a problem.

I run an Owncloud server at home. If you have a spare PC, you can set one up, it's relatively simple. The PC doesn't need to be incredibly powerful and you can throw as much storage at it as you want. Just something for you to think about.

@OhSnapWord.
Cool.
Did you have to give billing info(credit card number or anything) to get the free 16GB?

I've had all my accounts for a number of years. To my knowledge and recollection I did not need to provide any credit card info for any of them.

I know I have never been charged anything.

@OhSnapWord.
Cool.
Did you have to give billing info(credit card number or anything) to get the free 16GB?

I did not You actually get it when you create a Google account. If you have a gmail address or an Android phone, chances are, you already have Google Drive.

Back
Top Bottom