Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-22-2010, 09:08 PM   #31
Site Team
 
root's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 8,004
Default Re: closed-minded 'experts'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan23 View Post
Other than price, what more do you have against Apple products?

You don't have shit.
and other than?

well, PCs are cheaper faster, just as reliable and have pretty much all the same programs...

so other than ummm nothing what more do you have against PC's

just as you said: you don't have shit...


and in answer to your previous question.

yes, compare a $2000 Mac with a $2000 PC and you will find that on specifications the mac looses, badly.

whilst you may have no need for an i7 processor, lots of memory, a large disk, crossfire, a high resolution screen. or indeed a right mouse button

other people do, which is why they save their money and instead of buying a Mac, they buy a PC.

FYI macs are also made of plastic and assembled in china, so I don't understand where you get the idea that they are build a lot better than a pc/notebook/laptop... -aside from anything else that rather depends on the manufacturer.

as I said earlier, there is so little difference between Macs that all it comes down to now is personal choice.


Personally I find windows nicer and easier than mac OS I also find it far more configurable.

and lets face it, the adverts lied, there are viruses for mac, so you have to run AV on both, you have to be careful about spy ware on both etc...


so climb down off your fan boi high horse and tell me:
Aside from price, what is the difference between a Mac and a PC?
__________________

__________________
I didnt fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian
Im sick of people saying 'dont waste paper'. If trees wanted to live, they'd all carry guns.
"The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; The inherent vice of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries."
root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:19 PM   #32
Fully Optimized
 
vampist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 2,404
Default Re: closed-minded 'experts'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ߧ∩H♠H䎀 View Post
I own both a Desktop PC and a MacBook Pro. I honestly use my MacBook Pro more now that I've got a Mini Display port to DVI adapter and a blue tooth keyboard/magic mouse combo.

The main reason I bought a Mac was because I wanted to develop applications for the iPhone. Try doing that on a PC. O wait you can't because you need OSX to do it.

TimeMachine is a really great backup tool making it extremely easy to backup to my 1TB external drive. It's also very easy to sift through many backups with a virtual screen of each stored backup copy.

I'm really haven't had mine for to long so I can't comment on a lot of the stuff. I also run a dual boot with Windows Vista installed through there bootcamp. Another thing Mac does that Windows doesn't (Legally) & without tons of compatibility issues.

The construction is second to none. All aluminum case with a magnetized screen for shutting it as well as a magnetized power connecter & everything is just so seamless. Not to mention the gorgeous LED screen.

If you want to complain about price so be it. I admit they are more than a comparable PC. But when my MBP boots about 5-6 seconds faster than my superior desktop that says something. That's 5400rpm HDD vs 7200rpm HDD, c2d 2.16Ghz vs 3.2Ghz, DDR3 1066Mhz vs PC DDR2 1066Mhz.

In the end by whatever the hell floats your boat honestly. Don't like Mac well that sucks for you because your really missing out. How many of the members here criticizing apple have used the latest offerings from Apple? If I was buying something just to use for basic stuff I would have never bothered getting one. But I needed one for what I do and couldn't be happier. And if you haven't used a Mac compare it to using an iPhone for the first time. There just on another level much like Ford vs BMW are on 2 different levels.
I just stopped and didn't bother to read beyond the bold. I found you to not really have much of a backboard for your claims. Mainly because Mac and the Iphone are both made by Apple. Which is why you can't program the Iphone on the PC. It's a marketing ploy to keep you buying their products...
__________________

__________________
Everyone's Favorite Turd xD
ET: "Phone home!"
Geek: "ping 127.0.0.1"

"If that guy knew half the $h*t that I know, his fuzzy little head would explode. " - Matthew Farrell
vampist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:26 PM   #33
Fully Optimized
 
Grantofhell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,762
Default Re: closed-minded 'experts'

/Thread.

lol.


I'm a hardcore fanboy. But I know when my <<company of choice>> has lost to another rising company or one that has momentarily stolen the spotlight. Classic example: ATi vs Nvidia.

I always prefer Nvidia products, and will recommend one before I recommend ATi. But as of late, I'm siding with ATi in the respect that they have DX11, and GDDR5.

Intel vs AMD? Intel. Always. No particular reason...
__________________
RD-PC -//- i7 950 // Evga x58 SLI // 3x2 OCZ PC3-12800 // 2x Evga GTX470 // Corsair HX850 // SilverStone TJ07
Grantofhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:29 PM   #34
Site Team
 
root's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 8,004
Default Re: closed-minded 'experts'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ߧ∩H♠H䎀 View Post
I own both a Desktop PC and a MacBook Pro. I honestly use my MacBook Pro more now that I've got a Mini Display port to DVI adapter and a blue tooth keyboard/magic mouse combo.

The main reason I bought a Mac was because I wanted to develop applications for the iPhone. Try doing that on a PC. O wait you can't because you need OSX to do it. ... I also run a dual boot with Windows Vista installed through there bootcamp. Another thing Mac does that Windows doesn't (Legally) & without tons of compatibility issues.
you can dual boot a PC running MAC OS, you can use a VM to run Mac OS inside of windows. you've pretty much ALWAYS been able to do this, even before macs started using intel. -I know, I've done it.
so you can design Iphone apps without the need to buy a mac.

legality is a weird one. it's perfectly possible to buy a license for OSX, but then apple restrict what hardware you;re allowed to use it on. (just like apple restrict what apps you can put onto the iphone -unless you go against their EULA for the device/OS etc and jail break.

basically the reason that you can't legally put Mac OSX on a PC is because Apple say so, practically the only reason for doing this is that if you were allowed to put OSX onto any hardware apple would practically fold overnight.

(basically apple make their money on the hardware, not on the software).

Quote:
The construction is second to none. All aluminum case with a magnetized screen for shutting it as well as a magnetized power connecter & everything is just so seamless. Not to mention the gorgeous LED screen.
I do really like the power connector...

I mean they could have put a simple plug like you find on every other laptop in the land, but th little magnetised plug is cool.

Quote:
If you want to complain about price so be it. I admit they are more than a comparable PC. But when my MBP boots about 5-6 seconds faster than my superior desktop that says something. That's 5400rpm HDD vs 7200rpm HDD, c2d 2.16Ghz vs 3.2Ghz, DDR3 1066Mhz vs PC DDR2 1066Mhz.
it says you need a stripped out version of BSD on your desktop to compare properly.

comparing windows boot time to MacOSX boot time is comparing apples to pears, different processes are starting, different UI component are starting. I'd also hazard a guess that you'll have a bunch of third party tools starting up as services or in the background at boot on the windows machine that just aren't on the Mac?

Quote:
Don't like Mac well that sucks for you because your really missing out. How many of the members here criticizing apple have used the latest offerings from Apple?
have you used the latest offerings from winows, (as in windows 7, have you used the latest [insert linux distro here] offering from [insert vendor here]... so how are you making the opinion that Macs are best..? -you're criticising an entire hardware platform from multiple vendors when you clearly haven't tried all possible operating systems, but then you say for a person that just says they don't like Macs based on their experience, they are wrong??

FYI I have used OSX, but not version 10.6, to be honest I found the whole experience a lot like going back to an earlier version of Linux, (think redhat 8 or redhat 9) in look and feel, I'm not just saying that, it honestly was like going back a decade. all the tools are ripped from linux -and still looked the same, to do anything meaningful I kept finding I was dropping into the system prompt and issuing commands. -though this was in the course of supporting Macs.

Quote:
And if you haven't used a Mac compare it to using an iPhone for the first time. There just on another level much like Ford vs BMW are on 2 different levels.
I finally got used to my iphone, and finally like it.
however, I still recognise it's problems, (of which there are many). but over all I like the package and the device wins out purely on screen size over the windows mobile (HTC Touch Pro) that I got at the same time... thus the touch pro has replaced my cheap nokia work phone, and my iphone has become my phone, (I was posting in this thread earlier from the phone.

I think that the comparison (if using cars) would be ford/nissan. they are essentially almost the same company producing the same cars, they just look a little different, but function in much the same way.
__________________
I didnt fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian
Im sick of people saying 'dont waste paper'. If trees wanted to live, they'd all carry guns.
"The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; The inherent vice of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries."
root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:31 PM   #35
Fully Optimized
 
Grantofhell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,762
Default Re: closed-minded 'experts'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ߧ∩†H♠HŽ€ View Post
The construction is second to none. All aluminum case with a magnetized screen for shutting it as well as a magnetized power connecter & everything is just so seamless. Not to mention the gorgeous LED screen.
Sounds nice. At least you don't have to use something like CCleaner for the PF and TEMP. Looks like the screen and power adapter take care of that for you

xD.
__________________
RD-PC -//- i7 950 // Evga x58 SLI // 3x2 OCZ PC3-12800 // 2x Evga GTX470 // Corsair HX850 // SilverStone TJ07
Grantofhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:33 PM   #36
Site Team
 
root's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 8,004
Default Re: closed-minded 'experts'

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampist View Post
I just stopped and didn't bother to read beyond the bold. I found you to not really have much of a backboard for your claims. Mainly because Mac and the Iphone are both made by Apple. Which is why you can't program the Iphone on the PC. It's a marketing ploy to keep you buying their products...
actually, it's much the same that you can only program applications for windows mobile using programs like visual studio.

you may be able to make apps in C or c++ (I haven't tred) but in any case you'd sill need libraries specific to windows mobile for compiling. and there is probably a clause in there somewhere that says that you're only allowed to use a PC...


much like apple devices come with apple stickers because the EULA for itunes (that you need to work the devices) comes, (or used to come) with the clause that you weren't allowed to load itunes nto a non-apple branded PC -hence they helpfully provide stickers so you can apple brand your PC.
__________________
I didnt fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian
Im sick of people saying 'dont waste paper'. If trees wanted to live, they'd all carry guns.
"The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; The inherent vice of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries."
root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:46 PM   #37
Fully Optimized
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,629
Send a message via AIM to ߧ∩H♠H䎀
Default Re: closed-minded 'experts'

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampist View Post
I just stopped and didn't bother to read beyond the bold. I found you to not really have much of a backboard for your claims. Mainly because Mac and the Iphone are both made by Apple. Which is why you can't program the Iphone on the PC. It's a marketing ploy to keep you buying their products...
Funny how something that can't be disputed isn't valid in this little debate. I'm done trying to point out great Mac features because 95% of this forum are anti Mac and only have the argument of Price vs Spec's or it's not a valid argument when I make a point.

Btw: Mac RESALE VALUE IS GREAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantofhell View Post
Sounds nice. At least you don't have to use something like CCleaner for the PF and TEMP. Looks like the screen and power adapter take care of that for you

xD.
That would be around the outside of the screen to help it close. No chance of a magnet actually coming in contact with the screen. And same applies for the power connector.
ߧ∩H♠H䎀 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:51 PM   #38
Fully Optimized
 
vampist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 2,404
Default Re: closed-minded 'experts'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ߧ∩H♠H䎀 View Post
Funny how something that can't be disputed isn't valid in this little debate. I'm done trying to point out great Mac features because 95% of this forum are anti Mac and only have the argument of Price vs Spec's or it's not a valid argument when I make a point.
Dude.. There isn't much else to do with a computer than that.
__________________
Everyone's Favorite Turd xD
ET: "Phone home!"
Geek: "ping 127.0.0.1"

"If that guy knew half the $h*t that I know, his fuzzy little head would explode. " - Matthew Farrell
vampist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:56 PM   #39
Fully Optimized
 
jmacavali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,867
Default Re: closed-minded 'experts'

Boy this turned into a MAC vs PC thread pretty quick....

So I've rarely used MAC but have never felt the need too. I tell people who ask that in truth, the MAC OS is going to be completely different then what they are used to (as most users are Windows users) and that for what they will be doing, they are only going to be overpaying for a MAC. Just my opinion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ߧ∩H♠H䎀 View Post
And if you haven't used a Mac compare it to using an iPhone for the first time.
Hmm...
I wasn't all that impressed with the iPhone the first time I used it so...



Back on the actual topic of this thread, my definition: An expert in anything only gets that way by never assuming they are an expert and continues learning and evolving to keep up with whatever field they are in.
__________________
****************************************
Don't take life too seriously -- no one gets out alive. Plus, who wants to arrive to the hereafter in pristine condition wearing a suit and tie?
I want to slide in sideways, worn out, used up, hair a mess, clothes tattered, & screaming, "Whooo! What a ride!"
****************************************
jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:07 PM   #40
Fully Optimized
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,629
Send a message via AIM to ߧ∩H♠H䎀
Default Re: closed-minded 'experts'

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampist View Post
Dude.. There isn't much else to do with a computer than that.
So we buy a computer based on Spec's alone? Hmm, Interesting, I thought we bought computers to perform tasks, run/design software & use various external,internal hardware. Sorry I guess I'm not an expert on the subject.

As far as I'm concerned your post is the best so far of 2010. We buy computers because of the spec's. Nobody takes into account what they can actually do with those spec's.
__________________

ߧ∩H♠H䎀 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0