Cleaning corroded PCBs?

D-Lew

Fully Optimized
A little random but... Anyone work with archaic tech here and know how to clean a PCB? Reason I'm asking is that I need to crack open my gauges in my car to clean one, I believe it's corroded according to a bunch of similar incidents on the internet.

Someone said spray it down with WD-40 but that sounds weird and I don't want to go get any if it isn't going to work. Is there a better product or home remedy for this out there?

A little random but... Anyone work with archaic tech here and know how to clean a PCB? Reason I'm asking is that I need to crack open my gauges in my car to clean one, I believe it's corroded according to a bunch of similar incidents on the internet.

Someone said spray it down with WD-40 but that sounds weird and I don't want to go get any if it isn't going to work. Is there a better product or home remedy for this out there?

Got a pic? I typically use methyl hydrate to clean PCB's

Don't have a picture, I haven't tapped into the assembly yet. I imagine it's the back of the board and/or the pin terminals used for the connection.

use ferric chloride crystals... make the solution about twice as strong as it says on the packaging!

:)

OK, don't really...

I imagine that some sort of solvent like acetone will work fine, depending on the surface area that you have to clean I think Acetone and cotton buds (Qtips) would work fine.

WD40 is supposed to work quite well, I saw on tv a guys car spedo stopped working and after sparying it with WD40 it worked for years after!

Back
Top Bottom