Check this......

Ahhh..I'd say we pay around 3.60 a gallon. Which doesn't sound bad compared to the price of other fuels but tractors and other equipment that use it typically get horrible fuel economy's. We typically buy it in bulk, around 500 gallons or so at a time we put in an underground tank. We may use 150-200 gallons doing the day to day stuff through the year but during this time of year and in the fall is when we burn the most more fuel though, during the peak of hay season when we are cutting/raking/bailing hay we may burn over 100 gallons a day between 2-3 tractors over 8-9 hours of field work. And in the fall we may burn about that much if slightly more plowing.

Lol tractors measure their fuel consumption in hours instead of mpg:eek:

lol..

all i can say is i wish diesel was that cheap over here!!

nearly $10 a gallon over here

our red diesel (farmers diesel) is about 75p/l, which is about $5.60 a gallon, so our farmers would still love those prices ;)

True. It's not bad compared to those numbers but we barely scrape by at farming and with profit margins slipping more and more each year it hurts more than it used to.

Also, over there how much land does the average farmer own? folks typically farm on smaller pieces of land don't they?

no idea how big farms are over here.. but a couple i found websites for were about 150-250 acres, so i would assume thats about an average for over here..

Ah, ok. That's still a pretty good sized farm now a days, I imagine it's probably best suited for livestock over there?

They are mixed farms normally, cattle/sheep/pigs/goats seem to be normal animals kept, but there is a huuuge amount of oil seed rape grown around here (does my hayfever no favours.. lol..)

Back
Top Bottom