CF's Wealth Distribution

Lets say you earned x dollars this month. You also worked y hours. x/y would give an hourly wage regardless of how you earned that money. I mean..this is basic math. This is all I want to know. Is it that hard to understand this simple concept?

FYI:

What if your annual income was $40,000 (from your wiki quote) and didn't work at all?

What if your annual income was $40,000 (from your wiki quote) and didn't work at all?

I can't believe that anyone doesn't understand this.

If you earn $40k a year, then, because there are 12 months in a year you just divide that by 12 to get your monthly income.
If you need to know your weekly income then you should just divide by 52.

If some weeks you work 20 hours, other weeks you work 40 hours then just work out a rough average. like 30 hours.

Do some of you honestly have no idea what you work in a year, or how much you earn in a year?

I know that overtime can confuse the situation adding more money and more hours.

and if you get $40k but do no work then your hourly wage is nothing, because you do no work. you don't get paid for working.

It's the fact that most salary jobs involve more than 40 hours a week. And it's unpaid overtime. That's one reason why it's salary pay, not hourly... Hourly pay has hardly any reflection on overall income. Just ask what our monthly, weekly, or yearly income is.

In case you are interested, there was a poll on my employers website(GM) this week asking what "your average work day" is. 9 and 10 hours were the most popular answers. With around 2,000 responses each. There was a few hundred for 8 hours, as well as a few hundred for 12 hours. When you get to be a higher level, like a Plant Manager, you are essentially on call 24/7. And all engineers often have to come in early to meet with 3rd shift, or stay over to meet with 2nd shift, or something similar if on a different shift. Extending the work day.
Teachers complain that they work 60 hours a week... Almost every salary job has a lot of 60-70 hour weeks, while you are being paid for 40.

It's the fact that most salary jobs involve more than 40 hours a week. And it's unpaid overtime. That's one reason why it's salary pay, not hourly... Hourly pay has hardly any reflection on overall income. Just ask what our monthly, weekly, or yearly income is.

In case you are interested, there was a poll on my employers website(GM) this week asking what "your average work day" is. 9 and 10 hours were the most popular answers. With around 2,000 responses each. There was a few hundred for 8 hours, as well as a few hundred for 12 hours. When you get to be a higher level, like a Plant Manager, you are essentially on call 24/7. And all engineers often have to come in early to meet with 3rd shift, or stay over to meet with 2nd shift, or something similar if on a different shift. Extending the work day.
Teachers complain that they work 60 hours a week... Almost every salary job has a lot of 60-70 hour weeks, while you are being paid for 40.

I don't know where you got your figures, but my previous job and my current job are both salary and each paid overtime for hours worked over 40 in a week. If anything I got paid the same salary for working less than 40 hours some weeks at my last job (I used to be a field tech, so there was always the possibility of getting off early if I could finish the service call early).

I don't know where you got your figures, but my previous job and my current job are both salary and each paid overtime for hours worked over 40 in a week. If anything I got paid the same salary for working less than 40 hours some weeks at my last job (I used to be a field tech, so there was always the possibility of getting off early if I could finish the service call early).
If you have a salaried position that pays OT I believe you're the exception rather than the rule. I've worked as a salaried employee for the past 25 years at a number of different companies and have not been paid OT for excess hours. I have certain advantages over hourly employees that I feel even things out so the fact that I don't get paid OT is irrelevant.

I'll have to agree with strollin on the minor point that many if not most salary workers do unpaid overtime. For a lot of companies, it's a way to save money on mid-level management-- if they have to pay overtime hours to their managers, they'd go broke in a hurry.

Same as the military-- if the government had to pay an hourly wage, then the going rate would be below minimum wage.

I did 21 years in the Navy, and was getting paid fairly well at the end of that career. Unfortunately, not all specialties translate into real jobs in the civilian sector, and even though I am doing almost exactly the same thing now as I was ten years ago, I am only getting wage parity because I get a pension.

Now if only I could get the wife to stop spending money...
rolleyes.gif

I'm still finding it hard to conceive that you guys have no idea what you're time is worth.

Some of you are talking about working 40 - 60 hour weeks, away from home, being on call 24x7 and seem to have no idea what your time is worth.

I have no idea how much your job fulfils you, but with no idea of your remuneration how do you know that you're not better off working down at the golden arches? working fixed hour days, of less time, with less stress, having more free time to spend with your family, and with no idea of what your take home is.

How do you know whether you'd get paid more or less for this much simpler life?

On the point of overtime, it's not the case that salaried workers cannot work overtime.
I would assume that everyone here has a contract, and inside that contract would be a section on contracted hours.

If you choose to come into the office early, and if you choose to stay late, and if you choose to check your mails at home or at the weekend, that's not overtime.
That's volunteering or being really committed.

And when you go to your boss and say that you worked all weekend can you be paid for it, they are going to say no, because they didn't authorise it, they didn't budget for it, and you can't just choose when to work overtime... -seriously, how many of us if we could just choose to stay later at work and get paid more would just to earn a little more money? -and how is any company going to forecast this?

If you find that there aren't enough hours in the day to do your job then that's something that you should take up with your managers, if you're too scared to do that, or you don't want to do that then you can choose to spend all your free time working.

staff shortages should be the companies problem, not yours!

Before anyone gets smart about it.
Yes, in most contracts there will be a clause that allows for some unpaid overtime.

This is covered in the complying to any reasonable request.

It would not be unreasonable for your boss to ask you to stay 10 minutes late one day to finish a project rather than waiting till the next day. it's even not unreasonable to ask you to work a 12 hour day one day rather than an 8 hour day, and work a 4 hour day the next to give you back the time.

It is unreasonable to expect you to work 4 hours extra a day, everyday.

It might be that you have to go very far above and beyond the call of duty if someone else has left, filling in for them, and this may be for an extended period of time, but it shouldn't be forever!

Back
Top Bottom