Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-23-2008, 02:07 PM   #1
Baseband Member
Default Car Radio Trouble

Hello. As you can guess I am having trouble with my car radio. I just bought a new car radio last night and I just wired it up today. Everything looks in place but there is no sound. The car is a Pontiac Bonneville 94. There is 2 green wires, a grey wire, and a yellow wire that are unhooked. I believe those may power an amp but im not sure. Anyone have experience with this?

OS: Win XP PRO SP2 | RAM: 2GB | COOLING: Heatsink and fans, not factory | MOBO: Biostar 6100-m9 | GFX: GeForce 8400GS | SOUND: SB Audigy SE | NET: RTL8201 | CPU: AMD Athlon64X2 3800+ 2.0Ghz (current highest OC at 2.15, its a work in progress, will finish during spare time)
---90% of teens today would die if Myspace had a system failure and was completely destroyed. If you are one of the 10% that would be laughing, copy and paste this to your signature.---
Metalwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:48 PM   #2
Golden Master
Send a message via Yahoo to Tommy Boy
Default Re: Car Radio Trouble

What did you use to connect the factory harness to the radio harness? Did you use one of those connectors that you have to wire to the radio's wires? What kind of radio is it, aftermarket or a stock one from another car?

Make sure you have good connections on the speaker wires. Are you sure the radio isn't dead? Have you tried different sources?

I've done this a number of times on GM cars, my 90 pontiac grand am and my 97 Lumina, as well as my first car, an 87 cavalier. The wiring harness I used in the 90 grand am was compatible with my 97 lumina that I have now, gm connectors are the same up until like 99 or something.

When all else fails...Ham Radio!

I still have the same old HP DV9700T laptop I've had for years...still kickin'
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:24 PM   #3
Fully Optimized
Default Re: Car Radio Trouble

When I replaced my radio with an aftermarket, I just bought a wire harness that connected right into my factory harness as not to hack into the actual harness. The wires were color coded and labeled right on the wire, so it was pretty self explanatory. I'm not sure what you did, but you need to buy some kind of harness that connects into your factory harness. If you hacked into your factory harness, that wasn't the greatest idea, but it should still work if wired up correctly.

Try to find a wiring diagram for your radio and car. That helped me some. On mine, I think there's some wires I didn't use, not sure where they came from (radio or car harness). One was blue for sure, one was orange or yellow, there may have been more...
Jesusfrk611 is offline   Reply With Quote