Car keeps revving forever video..

The first rotary engine was invented by a guy called Felix Wankel, a German engineer several others have made various spin-offs, [no pun intended!] years ago I became fascinated by these engines, & now I'm wondering that, if they are as efficient as they claim to be, why don't all cars have them??:confused:

They usually aren't very efficient motors, at least the older ones weren't.

My guess is 10K+ RPM.

if it were a four stroke, I think, the revvs are something like this.

25s: 5k
35s: 10k
44s: 12 k

that's judging by ear.
the sound at 35seconds is much the same as the sound generated just before I redline my bike at11k, (so about 10k).

to put it into perspective...

the 91 le mans winner was a wrankel (rotary) engine, it red lined at 9000 rpm.

that's average cruising engine speed when I'm on my bike, (and similar for my dads bike also). and I still have a few thousand revs to go before I red line the machine, (my dad bike has a few more thousand revs before redlining...

rotary engines are significantly different from regular otto engines (4 stroke otto has 1 combustion every 4 rotations,
rotary engines have a combustion every single rotation of the main shaft, (though this is geared up from 3 combustions for each rotation of the large rotor that compresses the fuel...
so it ounds like it's revving a lot higher, cause most of us are basing our perceptions on what an ordinary car sounds like.

it is possible to make a rotary engine that revs up to 20krpm, but that's pretty much the maximum from what I've been reading...

The first rotary engine was invented by a guy called Felix Wankel, a German engineer several others have made various spin-offs, [no pun intended!] years ago I became fascinated by these engines, & now I'm wondering that, if they are as efficient as they claim to be, why don't all cars have them??:confused:

They are great because they have very little moving parts. However, they are not as "efficient" as standard piston engines I think. Primarily because of the way it's different. If you've ever seen the insides of them, they are basically triangular rotors which always have one side sealed off with a wall of the oval-shaped combustion chamber. The volume in the sealed part (where combustion takes place) is rather large, making for a low compression ratio. Also, the air and fuel don't have much room to mix in the combustion chamber, so you get worse emissions.

It is a good, simple, lightweight engine, but you need to rev it to insane levels to make decent power, which it happens to do quite well.

Here's an animation, click it and there's a whole page describing each part of the combustion process.

Back
Top Bottom