Car guys...

Umm, turbos do burn gas. Couple mpg for a small turbo and more for a larger turbo... Thats how they work. If you dont put bigger fuel injectors, you will burn holes right into your pistons. I know someone who has a ranger, twin turbo set up, at first, he did not put bigger injectors in. Ran great at 5 pounds, then they put it up to 10, and it ran great... for a day. After that, the engine was shot. Took it apart and there were holes burn right into the pistons... Now he has #40 injectors and it runs good at like 15+ pounds.

So basically, you need to get bigger injectors which means more gas flow, which means lower mpg. The subaru outback with the normal H-4 will get like 26mpg, the turbo H-4 gets 20mpg. Turbos will waste more gas.

A slight amount but not 10mpg worth unless you race everywhere you go. If you're at low rpm and low throttle you're barely pushing any psi. That's the advantage of turbos since they are xhaust driven and not belt driven that low rpm is low boost and better economy. They are not linear, the power/tq curves grow exponentially and the amount of gas you are burning is proportional. If you really know how to tune a turbo car (not necessarily for speed) and can lay off the gas you can actually make an engine more efficient.

Either way the fuel injectors are pumping in the same amount though, the turbos just push in more O2 to burn with the gas.

No, they are not. If the injectors pumped in the same amount of fuel as it did under full boost, you would be running extremely rick and attracting cops from across the city. The injectors put more fuel in as boost pressure rises.

Yeah, they will add more as pressure increases, but if you have installed bigger fuel injectors, which are needed if you get a larger turbo, they will put in more fuel all the time. If I were to stick #24 injectors on my truck engine, vs the stock #15 or w/e they are, I would get less gas mileage, as they are putting in more fuel even with out any boost.

how much boost on that turbo? do you know? im just wondering, i heard they get decent boost, but nothing compared to a vdub.

Yeah, they will add more as pressure increases, but if you have installed bigger fuel injectors, which are needed if you get a larger turbo, they will put in more fuel all the time. If I were to stick #24 injectors on my truck engine, vs the stock #15 or w/e they are, I would get less gas mileage, as they are putting in more fuel even with out any boost.

Not necessarily... the amount of fuel injected is adjusted by the computer for several factors such as air volume, temperature, humidity, etc... basically what the MAF and O2 sensors are telling the engine to do. You don't dump more fuel in than you have air available to burn under those circumstances, otherwise you're running rich and robbing power and gas mileage.

how much boost on that turbo? do you know? im just wondering, i heard they get decent boost, but nothing compared to a vdub.

I'm pretty sure it's in the ballpark of 11 psi or so. I have a couple of friends who upgrade them, one of them who was running the stock turbo with modified exhaust, a boost controller, and some other goodies saw spikes of up to 15 psi. He recently upgraded to a Stg 2 turbo which is nearly twice the size, and probably shooting for like 18 psi or something.

20-30mpg for a stock SRT4... This is a turbo SRT4 with 400HP... So probably like 15-20mpg, and a mustang 5.0 can get about 22 driving normaly, and 28 or so on the freeway. So thats not a whole lot worse. And it has that V8 sound, compared to a turbo 4. And if you wanted to do a little tuning, you could always turbo that 302, and then you could get double the power of that SRT4

We arent talking about how fast you can go, its about how fast you can get to 65mph.

Uh correction all SRT4's are turboed, the modded one probably has mods on the turbo and its pushing more boost.

I wouldn't buy anything that has any extensive mods.

The SRT-4 will be quicker than a WRX stock for stock. SRT-4's put down 220-230 WHP, while the WRX makes that at the crank. Add more rotating mass from AWD and you have even less power to the wheels. You can't beat the launch of an AWD when both are on street tires though.

Since you have a M3 avatar, why not look for a E36?

either your not talking about the wrx sti or you've been smoking some of the best grass around lol 300 hp to the wheel's stock for the wrx, plus the 2007 ones have it where you can put all the power to the front, back or in the middle. really its like a wheel looking thing and you just move it but i can bet anything that the wrx sti will take any srt-4 stock for stock haha

Back
Top Bottom