Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-23-2008, 07:27 PM   #31
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to superman22x Send a message via Yahoo to superman22x
Default Re: Car guys...

Umm, turbos do burn gas. Couple mpg for a small turbo and more for a larger turbo... Thats how they work. If you dont put bigger fuel injectors, you will burn holes right into your pistons. I know someone who has a ranger, twin turbo set up, at first, he did not put bigger injectors in. Ran great at 5 pounds, then they put it up to 10, and it ran great... for a day. After that, the engine was shot. Took it apart and there were holes burn right into the pistons... Now he has #40 injectors and it runs good at like 15+ pounds.

So basically, you need to get bigger injectors which means more gas flow, which means lower mpg. The subaru outback with the normal H-4 will get like 26mpg, the turbo H-4 gets 20mpg. Turbos will waste more gas.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:01 PM   #32
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to D-Lew

A slight amount but not 10mpg worth unless you race everywhere you go. If you're at low rpm and low throttle you're barely pushing any psi. That's the advantage of turbos since they are xhaust driven and not belt driven that low rpm is low boost and better economy. They are not linear, the power/tq curves grow exponentially and the amount of gas you are burning is proportional. If you really know how to tune a turbo car (not necessarily for speed) and can lay off the gas you can actually make an engine more efficient.

D-Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 08:39 PM   #33
Golden Master

Either way the fuel injectors are pumping in the same amount though, the turbos just push in more O2 to burn with the gas.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:11 PM   #34
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Cabbs

No, they are not. If the injectors pumped in the same amount of fuel as it did under full boost, you would be running extremely rick and attracting cops from across the city. The injectors put more fuel in as boost pressure rises.
Cabbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 10:17 PM   #35
Golden Master

Yeah, they will add more as pressure increases, but if you have installed bigger fuel injectors, which are needed if you get a larger turbo, they will put in more fuel all the time. If I were to stick #24 injectors on my truck engine, vs the stock #15 or w/e they are, I would get less gas mileage, as they are putting in more fuel even with out any boost.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:17 PM   #36
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to culexor

how much boost on that turbo? do you know? im just wondering, i heard they get decent boost, but nothing compared to a vdub.

Laptop: i5 430M 2.26Ghz, 4GB DDR3 1066, 500GB WD Blue, Mobility Radeon HD 5650 1GB (discrete)
culexor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 11:54 PM   #37
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to D-Lew

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman22x View Post
Yeah, they will add more as pressure increases, but if you have installed bigger fuel injectors, which are needed if you get a larger turbo, they will put in more fuel all the time. If I were to stick #24 injectors on my truck engine, vs the stock #15 or w/e they are, I would get less gas mileage, as they are putting in more fuel even with out any boost.
Not necessarily... the amount of fuel injected is adjusted by the computer for several factors such as air volume, temperature, humidity, etc... basically what the MAF and O2 sensors are telling the engine to do. You don't dump more fuel in than you have air available to burn under those circumstances, otherwise you're running rich and robbing power and gas mileage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornholio101 View Post
how much boost on that turbo? do you know? im just wondering, i heard they get decent boost, but nothing compared to a vdub.
I'm pretty sure it's in the ballpark of 11 psi or so. I have a couple of friends who upgrade them, one of them who was running the stock turbo with modified exhaust, a boost controller, and some other goodies saw spikes of up to 15 psi. He recently upgraded to a Stg 2 turbo which is nearly twice the size, and probably shooting for like 18 psi or something.
D-Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 12:25 AM   #38
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman22x View Post
20-30mpg for a stock SRT4... This is a turbo SRT4 with 400HP... So probably like 15-20mpg, and a mustang 5.0 can get about 22 driving normaly, and 28 or so on the freeway. So thats not a whole lot worse. And it has that V8 sound, compared to a turbo 4. And if you wanted to do a little tuning, you could always turbo that 302, and then you could get double the power of that SRT4

We arent talking about how fast you can go, its about how fast you can get to 65mph.
Uh correction all SRT4's are turboed, the modded one probably has mods on the turbo and its pushing more boost.
//Antec 902 V3 Case, Intel i7-2600K (@4.5GHz 1.280V watercooled w/ Antec H2O Kuhler 920), 8GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz, ASUS P8P67 PRO B3, MSI 3GB N580 GTX Lightning Xtreme (@850MHz/2100MHz), 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3, Corsair HX850W Pro Series//
//XPS 410 C2D E6400 @ 2.13GHz, 2GB DDR2 667MHz, 250GB HD, eVGA 320mb 8800GTS(605/1900MHz)//
//AMD Athlon XP +2000, Socket A MSI-6390, 768 mb of PC 2100 RAM, AGP ATI RADEON 9600SE//

I <3 TrancE
NeXuS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 12:37 AM   #39
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabbs View Post
I wouldn't buy anything that has any extensive mods.

The SRT-4 will be quicker than a WRX stock for stock. SRT-4's put down 220-230 WHP, while the WRX makes that at the crank. Add more rotating mass from AWD and you have even less power to the wheels. You can't beat the launch of an AWD when both are on street tires though.

Since you have a M3 avatar, why not look for a E36?
either your not talking about the wrx sti or you've been smoking some of the best grass around lol 300 hp to the wheel's stock for the wrx, plus the 2007 ones have it where you can put all the power to the front, back or in the middle. really its like a wheel looking thing and you just move it but i can bet anything that the wrx sti will take any srt-4 stock for stock haha
Old 05-24-2008, 02:18 AM   #40
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Cabbs

Nobody said anything about the STI, it was the WRX.

Cabbs is offline   Reply With Quote