car engine swap question

personally this guy is in dreamland you can't do what you wanna do with the car you wanna do it with.
cut your losses and buy a rice rocket

that is very untrue, anything with wheels is modifiable if you want it enough. i respect your opinion, but it is not welcome in this thread. ill take criticism but not flat out insults

people here have told you from the start exactly what i told you that what you want to do is expensive and inpractical.
i didnt think what i said was insulting at all.

personally this guy is in dreamland you can't do what you wanna do with the car you wanna do it with.
cut your losses and buy a rice rocket

buy a rice rocket, and what? have a car that is the same or slower than what he has. You can mod anything that has an engine in it for more power. quite being such a close minded person. I just have to say, even if they don't make a turbo kit for the car you can custom make one, but it's not for someone who doesn't have a clue what they are doing with a car.

mongoman - I think you should start small with some simple mods and learn about your car if your serious about modding it. This isn't something you can just jump into. On top of the 3-4 grand you'll easily pay in parts for turbocharging it you are going to need some type of tuning and lots of dyno time to make sure you aren't going to blow up the motor.

D-lew - +1 cuz I agree with you 100%.

i was telling him to start small and build up as he goes along i wasnt trying to insult him i just think he should crawl before running

Going back to adding a turbo, your going to have to upgrade engine internals. The stock engine internals are not made to handle the extra stress a turbo would put on them, not for long anyway. I'd recommend buying all the parts before installing any of them.

And please remember adding that extra power whether it be 50hp or 200hp you need to look at a brake upgrade, with all the extra power your going to need extra stopping power. Your stock brakes are not designed to handle stopping the extra power you will be adding.

Also you need to remember your car will have a limited top speed and all the parts on your car are designed to be able to perform at the restricted speed in the event that the car was pushed to its limit. When you start adding power you need to start upgrading these parts to be able to handle this extra power.

But remember if you added 200hp the car would still not go any faster then its limited top speed it would just get there faster.

i was telling him to start small and build up as he goes along i wasnt trying to insult him i just think he should crawl before running

the way you worded at, i interpretted it as "you no nothing so y r u even trying this....moron"

Going back to adding a turbo, your going to have to upgrade engine internals. The stock engine internals are not made to handle the extra stress a turbo would put on them, not for long anyway. I'd recommend buying all the parts before installing any of them.

And please remember adding that extra power whether it be 50hp or 200hp you need to look at a brake upgrade, with all the extra power your going to need extra stopping power. Your stock brakes are not designed to handle stopping the extra power you will be adding.

Also you need to remember your car will have a limited top speed and all the parts on your car are designed to be able to perform at the restricted speed in the event that the car was pushed to its limit. When you start adding power you need to start upgrading these parts to be able to handle this extra power.

But remember if you added 200hp the car would still not go any faster then its limited top speed it would just get there faster.

isnt that limited thru the ECU? cant you unlock it somehow?

and as for internals r u talking new pistons, camshafts and crankshafts and gaskets? if i could i would add headers too i think instead of the manifold, but is it even worth it?

EDIT:best site i could find for parts, not much as far as the stratus goes, but on some dodge forums these people have some pretty beefed up stratuses: http://www.andysautosport.com/dodge/1995_2000_stratus/

Header=exhaust manifold, that's what they are called on 4-cylinders.

As for the ECU, you could do standalone fuel management like Megasquirt. It takes engine control away from the stock ECU to a different computer that is tuned through a laptop. You will need a wideband air/fuel ratio gauge and eventually a place to dyno tune it.

the way you worded at, i interpretted it as "you no nothing so y r u even trying this....moron"

isnt that limited thru the ECU? cant you unlock it somehow?

and as for internals r u talking new pistons, camshafts and crankshafts and gaskets? if i could i would add headers too i think instead of the manifold, but is it even worth it?

EDIT:best site i could find for parts, not much as far as the stratus goes, but on some dodge forums these people have some pretty beefed up stratuses: http://www.andysautosport.com/dodge/1995_2000_stratus/

Yes it is possible to remove the top speed limiter, how.. i honestly have no idea. But i know it is possible and yes i believe it is something to do with the ecu etc.

As for interals yeah i mean things like pistons, cams etc.
Header and full exhaust is a good idea too, if you add a turbo, the engine needs to breath better so the full exhaust and header allows it to do so properly. I would have said it was definatly a good idea to do exhaust system and definatly build up at least some of the internals, as i said the stock cams, pistons etc aren't able to put up with the extra stress the turbo would put on them. at least not for a long time. You may get away with it for a while.

You reprogram the ECU to delete it. Not like you really need to unless you take it to the track... Acceleration is king.

You may or may not have to upgrade internals. A Zetec engine out of a Focus and a ZX2 for instance will hold 10 psi easy, making about 100 extra horsepower. Again, something better to ask on a stratus forum.

top speed is limited by the ECU yes,
the ECU is also responsible for the acceleration curve.

moveover, top speed is limited by the power, gearing, and wheel size (and max RPM).

for example, if your engine max rev is 6000, then at max rev you're going to see 6000 RPM, geared down to the wheels, which turn at a certain rate.
moving the circumference of the type along the road at a set distance, (the circumference of the wheel) for every given turn of the wheel...

if you put bigger wheels on, obvisouly for each turn of the wheel you'll travel slightly further, if ou're still reaching the max RPM, it's still geared down in the gear box, to the wheels, but the larger wheels are turning at the same pace and going the same dinstance.

you could also try a different gear box fo more speed., (obvisouly transfering more engine speed to the wheels). but less power because the gearing has changed...

as someone pointed out earlier, modding the engine will change the power and theus the amount of time taken to reach top speed, you're unlikely to be able to change the mechanical limits of the engine far enough to get an appreciable amount of extra speed from it.

Back
Top Bottom