car engine swap question

Can you specify what year this Stratus is and if it's a coupe or sedan?

1996 sedan

EDIT:

i think im just going to pull the engine out and get it rebuilt, clean it up. you no, a clean engine is a good engine, then ill try to find a turbo or super charger, add a cold air intake, headers, new exhaust etc.

i no a place where i could get a stratus fairly cheap, so ill prob get one and do little stuff make it a bit faster, ill probably swap out the auto trany for a standard. anyone no how much that would cost? im guessing it would depend where you go tho...

Join a car forum, they are better for these questions. Not trying to be a jerk but a Stratus forum would really be a lot of help.

If you get a turbo you need to intercool it, cold air intake by itself is worthless because it would just get hot going through the turbo. If you get a SC, depending on the type it might not like a cold air intake. Roots blowers hate to work to get air and usually perform best with a shorter intake, especially small ones.

Transmission swap might be expensive. They usually involve switching out electronics and adding a bunch of parts you don't already have. But it would be cheaper than a whole engine swap to a different engine, that's for sure.

wtf i swear i just wrote a reply like an hour ago, it hasnt shown up lol.

D-lew - Cold air intakes usually only have piping in the engine bay and then the filter is located in the fender/wheel well etc so they don't usually take in warm air, your thinking of a short ram intake which is in the engine bay and if it doesnt have a heat sheild can suck it more heat then cold.

Building the engine is a good idea. Get the head ported and polished etc. Upgrade your cams, smaller and lighter pulleys, other lighter parts etc. Bigger injectors. If you going to go manual get a upgraded clutch, this should aid in shifting etc. Just research some car forums and on the net you should be able to find some good info on mods.

You could also consider building your own turbo kit, this would include getting all the parts, welding and bending piping to fit etc. It can sometimes be cheaper but is usually harder. But if you cant find a kit and want to go turbo that is an option.

Trans swap to manual would probably be expensive. It would involve quite a bit of modification. Install of clutch pedal, manual gear box. It wouldn't be bolt on and go.

also if your going to go turbo you going to need to eventually upgrade stock internals as the stock internals are not made to withstand the extra stress a turbo would put on them. And if you add lots of power then its a good idea to upgrade brakes, with all that extra power you going to need some extra stopping power.

Uh-uh... if he has a turbo then no matter how cold that air is he takes in, it's still going to be rather warm after going through a turbo - that's why you need an intercooler... I guess unless you're talking about winter in Siberia. If it's a roots supercharger than a longer intake tube makes it harder to push air, so it's also working against power in that configuration.

Uh-uh... if he has a turbo then no matter how cold that air is he takes in, it's still going to be rather warm after going through a turbo - that's why you need an intercooler. If it's a roots supercharger than a longer intake tube makes it harder to push air, so it's also working against power in that configuration.

Ah i didn't realise you meant with a turbo, lol i thought you just meant a cold air intake on it own lol my badd :D

Yeah I believe he's talking about boost plus a cold air intake... which is generally a bad idea and usually impossible unless it's something custom.

I've seen a couple of Turbo'd cars with intakes, but it was basically a cone filter pretty much connect directly onto the turbo. And very close to the engine, i can imagine that took in a lot of warm air, you've may be ok with a heat shield and some small ducting leading from somewhere that got cold air then to the filter.

I just realized how much I don't know about cars. To me all that matters is HP, Torque, Weight, and Handling.

edit: Nowadays aerodynamics and gas mileage =]

All it takes is hanging around people who know their stuff, and taking little steps by doing your own maintenance and maybe some little mods to start out. Then the knowledge pours in. The longer you poke around under the engine bay the more you get to know.

All it takes is hanging around people who know their stuff, and taking little steps by doing your own maintenance and maybe some little mods to start out. Then the knowledge pours in. The longer you poke around under the engine bay the more you get to know.

x2... thats how i learnt too. just hanging about with my family who are all mechanics or interested in cars, research, trial and error and buying service manuals for my car and trying some basic maintenence and anything else i feel i can do etc. You'll be surprised how much you pick up in such a little time.

Back
Top Bottom