bye bye xp

I noticed when I had XP, COD4 would have this little stutter that doesn't occur in Vista. I really like using it though.

I love on vista when you use ctrl_alt-dlt to close a program it actually closes it every time. I hate when I go back to xp on one of my other computers and you do that with xp and it does nothing. I find vista faster at everything generally except rebooting but I don't reboot often enough to make that an issue. I have had vista since the very first day it was released in Australia and I would never go back to XP. Sure you need more memory to make it run fast but you need a shitload of memory to play any newish games these days so most people would be upgrading with that extra bit of memory anyway.

generally in my experience 95% of the people who bag vista have never used it or have only used it very briefly.

I don't find the extra mem usage to be a con with vista, You have ram, it's constantly taking power whether it's being used or not, so I say let it get filled up if it speeds up loading times in certain things.

I don't think I've ever had an issue with a program not closing when I tell it to close with the task manager, however... I have had XP be stuck like a dumbass when I try to shut it down. I remember telling it to shut down, going out for a few hours, coming back, and it would be trying to close winamp and it wouldn't close, so it would just hang until I clicked 'close'... so stupid.

But I would never say that XP is unstable. I have had so few crashes with this OS.

I think the only thing seriously intimidating me from vista right now is three things: 1. Bloat, I don't want to have a bunch of junk I'll never use installed.
2. The constant nagging every time I try to do something. Will that go away if I disable UAC?
3. Performance. I don't want performance in any of my games or the overall speed of the OS to take a dive at all. Including boot up time.

My installation of XP boots rather quickly, and all i've seen of vista is boot times that take well over twice as much time.

1. Define bloat? I have heard you say you use the classic theme so if you consider themes bloat then yes..but so does XP. Other than Media centre i can't see much that would be called bloat. If you don't want anything you don't use consider getting Vista Basic.

2. YES

3. I find performance faster with Vista in general everyday use. I don't really play all that many of the newest games so I can't answer the game speed too much but I haven't noticed a difference with the games I play. With boot speed is 2 minutes bootup rather than 60 seconds a huge impact on anyones life? Personally if anyone uses that as a reason not to want Vista then they are being a bit nitpicky and maybe just looking for reasons.I mean how often do you boot up?. I use Aero with the sidebar so that probably adds a fair bit on. Never tried booting without that turned on.

1. Define bloat? I have heard you say you use the classic theme so if you consider themes bloat then yes..but so does XP. Other than Media centre i can't see much that would be called bloat. If you don't want anything you don't use consider getting Vista Basic.

2. YES

3. I find performance faster with Vista in general everyday use. I don't really play all that many of the newest games so I can't answer the game speed too much but I haven't noticed a difference with the games I play. With boot speed is 2 minutes bootup rather than 60 seconds a huge impact on anyones life? Personally if anyone uses that as a reason not to want Vista then they are being a bit nitpicky and maybe just looking for reasons.I mean how often do you boot up?. I use Aero with the sidebar so that probably adds a fair bit on. Never tried booting without that turned on.

I'm not referring to themes, but rather a ton of programs that I never asked for. Also the sheer number of services..

My XP is configured to not start any programs at all when I boot up. If I want it, I'll start it myself. Given the sheer number of processes and programs that startup with a typical vista installation, I suppose I could manage to get that sped up quite a bit with some tweaking.

To be honest I'm a bit of a tweak nut, my XP install boots and functions faster than most others, because there is so little going on. nlite I have to thank for that, and also there is vlite, a vista counter-part.. so I suppose with some work vista could get up to the speed I want out of it.

I love on vista when you use ctrl_alt-dlt to close a program it actually closes it every time. I hate when I go back to xp on one of my other computers and you do that with xp and it does nothing. I find vista faster at everything generally except rebooting but I don't reboot often enough to make that an issue. I have had vista since the very first day it was released in Australia and I would never go back to XP. Sure you need more memory to make it run fast but you need a shitload of memory to play any newish games these days so most people would be upgrading with that extra bit of memory anyway.

generally in my experience 95% of the people who bag vista have never used it or have only used it very briefly.

Lol, thats why you "GoToProcess" and end that, noob ;) <3

For me XP has a harder time getting out of a frozen full-screen game compared to Vista.

I think Vista is pretty nice overall, as long as you have system that can handle it. I've tried Vista by a "free" copy I obtained :rolleyes: and can say that it was definitely glitchy with some programs I used.

Here's my reasoning behind not upgrading to Vista:

1. COST- I'm not made of money, I get like $100 a week on average at work, and ~$35-$40 of that goes to gas... Plus I'm saving money for a newer car, if I go out and spend a bunch of money on an OS, I'm down more money I have to save up again...

2. GLITCHYNESS- The version I tried didn't work with UltraMon (multi monitor program) correctly. UltraMon extends the taskbar to other monitors, well, it did that fine, but when I went to change the theme, only the main taskbar changed, the extended ones were still default. Also, it messed up the arrangement of the 3 monitor desktop I had. FOr other programs, I couldn't ever get Firefox to open up in the center monitor, it always opened in the right one. XP works where you can open a window and drag it to a different monitor and close it there and it will open again in the monitor it was closed in...didn't work w/ Vista. Overall, it just isn't very multi-monitor capable, and for me to really like it, it needs to be.

3. XP works find for my needs, so I really don't need Vista atm. In time I will upgrade, or just go with XP until the new OS comes out so I'm not shelling out money for an OS that will be outdated in not long... But I'm definitely not spending that kinda money on something I don't need.

Back
Top Bottom