bye bye xp

esa193

Fully Optimized
May 26, 2008 (Computerworld) Even though it has had its own problems of late, Windows XP remains the most-used version of Windows. The newest data from Web metrics vendor Net Applications Inc., for example, pegs XP as driving 73% of the personal computers that went online last month, five times the nearest competitor, Microsoft Corp.'s own Windows Vista.
Which is why an impending deadline five weeks from today is important.
According to Microsoft, June 30 is the last day it will permit retailers and OEMs to sell the nearly-seven-year-old operating system.
You'll have questions as that date approaches, including whether the deadline will drive up prices (gouging, anyone?). And we plan to have the answers, starting with this FAQ and continuing through the end of next month.

http://www.computerworld.com/action...ArticleBasic&articleId=9089198&intsrc=hm_list

more to read on the link

LOL! In my opinion microsoft are being stupid,XP is still one step ahead of vista.

Well,now is the time to pick up an installation disc or two.

you could always d/l a copy if you really needed it
i think vista is just as good or better

I laugh at all the Vista naysayers. Especially those who have never even used Vista at all or for an extended period of time. I've used Vista almost since it came out and I can easily say that it's way more intuitive and superior compared to XP. Just the features and everything that it gives you is way smoother and works well.

Sure, Vista had it's bugs and glitches, but any OS including Linux or Mac OS has them and thats why they have patches. Now that Service Pack 1 has been released, there really is no reason not to upgrade to Vista. Pretty much all the initial bugs have been fixed and any new bugs or ones that are newly discovered end up getting patched anyways.

Yes, Vista may use a bit of RAM especially if you use Aero Glass, but you don't have to use it. If you're actually open minded enough, there are plenty of other features to use. Besides, even since it came out Vista has been far superior to XP when it comes to memory management. That's why when you minimize and maximize windows it's a lot smoother compared to XP. Let's face it...XP is just outdated. Sure, it may have use for server and enterprise usage, but if you're a consumer and just use a desktop or laptop, Vista is the new standard.

To be honest, I really get a good laugh when I see people complaining about Vista and how you should "upgrade" back to XP. All the naysayers did back when XP came out in 2001 was how it was all glitchy, full of bugs, annoying to use, etc etc. Now look at them...Microsoft is dropping support of XP and now they're all collectively crying about it. Oh the irony...:rolleyes:

I'll probobly get 2 new 400GB HD's, keep XP64bit on one, and Vista 64 bit on the other.

I have personally used Vista from the start of it as well. I remember getting the 250 dollars to run out and buy my copy of Vista Ultimate. It was worth it, because I knew even before Vista came out, it would be a lot better than XP. Sure, for some it was buggy (some more than others) but that comes with EVERY os. What was it, Windows 95 that blue screened when Bill Gates was presenting it to the public? I personally have never had a problem with Vista. Even though mine wasn't buggy, SP1 was a god send because it made it run incredibly faster, and also fixed possibly the only "nuisance" that I had with Vista, the trustedinstaller.exe bug, in which it would take up 50% or more CPU power for no reason at all. It was a simple ctrl+alt+del fix, but it was annoying. SP1 ended that.

To anyone that has never even tried Vista: get out from underneath the rock you live. Vista is much better than XP. Sure, you may need to upgrade some hardware, but in the long run it will be worth it because then your PC is somewhat future proof. I am tired of you arrogant people who believe that XP is the ONLY way for personal computing. It's not. A hardcore gamer might prefer XP over Vista because it uses less resources, but Vista can accommodate them too. Now, some people may be waiting for SP2 to be released, and that I can respect because XP wasn't that great until SP2, so I've heard.

when 98 came out, a ton of people hated it, and called 95 the better os, When 2000 came out, they called 98 the best, when XP came out, they called 2000 the best, and now with vista, xp is called the best.

It's just a cycle I suppose.

XP was the buggiest piece of shit when it first came out, but I think it was pretty nice with SP1. Vista's SP1 I have yet to see for myself so I don't know about that one.

I continue to use XP because it still does it's job fine. When I build my next computer, I might go with vista.

I might have used some stupid logic before in justifying my anti-vistaness.. but in hind-sight, my only real experience with Vista was on another machine that didn't belong to me... and vista or xp, I find most other people's computers run like shit.

I'll form a real opinion on vista when I finally start using it for myself.

And to all of you who say Vista is better, please, explain why it is better. What is it that Vista can do that is so amazing that it leaves XP completely outdated? And no, DX10 is not a reason to me.

i find the os much more stable the the experience a much faster productive time

I laugh at all the Vista naysayers. Especially those who have never even used Vista at all or for an extended period of time. I've used Vista almost since it came out and I can easily say that it's way more intuitive and superior compared to XP. Just the features and everything that it gives you is way smoother and works well.

Sure, Vista had it's bugs and glitches, but any OS including Linux or Mac OS has them and thats why they have patches. Now that Service Pack 1 has been released, there really is no reason not to upgrade to Vista. Pretty much all the initial bugs have been fixed and any new bugs or ones that are newly discovered end up getting patched anyways.

Yes, Vista may use a bit of RAM especially if you use Aero Glass, but you don't have to use it. If you're actually open minded enough, there are plenty of other features to use. Besides, even since it came out Vista has been far superior to XP when it comes to memory management. That's why when you minimize and maximize windows it's a lot smoother compared to XP. Let's face it...XP is just outdated. Sure, it may have use for server and enterprise usage, but if you're a consumer and just use a desktop or laptop, Vista is the new standard.

To be honest, I really get a good laugh when I see people complaining about Vista and how you should "upgrade" back to XP. All the naysayers did back when XP came out in 2001 was how it was all glitchy, full of bugs, annoying to use, etc etc. Now look at them...Microsoft is dropping support of XP and now they're all collectively crying about it. Oh the irony...:rolleyes:
I couldn't agree more. Vista definitely has it's flaws (as does every other operating system) but I've been using it since March 2007 and I haven't looked back.

Back
Top Bottom