Buy a laptop now or wait a year?

i want a laptop

In Runtime
I'm going off to college in about a year, and obviously need a laptop. I'm debating on when I should purchase one, I've always wanted one, hence the name, and just recently have gotten enough money to buy one. For college I want it to be light and have good battery life, so I'm thinking of an HP, 14", with an additional 9cell battery. But anyway, should I buy it now or wait a year? i3, DDR3 1066, etc, is good now, but maybe a year from now there will be something else big that makes i3 and ddr3 look like crap. So I know it's hard to answer, but should I get one now or wait?

Thanks.

i3, DDR3 1066, etc, is good now, but maybe a year from now there will be something else big that makes i3 and ddr3 look like crap.

Technology progresses. We can't predict the future. If you need a notebook now, go ahead and buy one. If you can wait, go ahead and hold off.

Yes, something will be out that will make something now look less impressive. However, it will be more expensive and will be surpassed again within 6 months buy some new tech standard. Just get it now and enjoy yourself! You shouldn't need some ultra hardcore machine for College anyways.

i would get if u need it now... and if you get a good one like you have chose maybe when microsoft releases another os you can upgrade... hopefully

I wouldn't buy it unless you need it.

My concern with laptops in this case wouldn't have to be with technology but the fact that they wear our quicker then normal pcs.

If your going buy a laptop for all 4 yrs of college wait until you go to college then buy. That way it'll last longer and be newer

^ Word

Laptops in general wear pretty quickly so you'll want to wait until you're in college. If the RAM is your concern, then it will be cheaper and laptops will come standard with more of it in a year. Or they might move to DD4 or DDR5 in that time. Who knows. Save your money and watch the market. Check out Newegg.com in a little less than a year and start watching for deals. They can sometimes have some pretty good steals on there, so if you watch Newegg.com for a couple months before you start College, you're bound to get a good laptop.

Edit: I just started college and will be purchasing a laptop in August for school, I'll let you know what specs I get and for how much.

A year ago, what were laptop specs? DDR2 and Core 2 Duo? I might just buy a netbook now and wait for the laptop...but I really want a laptop now...ugh decisions decisions.

I'd just go with something new. Don't listen to the "technology progresses" saying.

I know what he means.. I think. If you always go by the "Don't buy that, a better one will be out in a months time" logic, then you will end up not buying ANYTHING.

Back
Top Bottom