Broken Freezer - DIY project

mayorredbeard

Daemon Poster
Well my mom called me earlier today because our freezer door won't stay closed. So I put my other projects aside and drove home from campus.

Theres nothing blocking it and I can't figure it out. It just won't stay closed. Our house is kinda falling apart so a proper fix is not mandatory; I just need to find a realistic manner to keep the door closed when I want it closed. Any ideas?

Buy some new thin magnets and attach one polarity to the door, and the other polarity to the body. That should keep it closed if you get maybe 4 of them across the length?

Buy some new thin magnets and attach one polarity to the door, and the other polarity to the body. That should keep it closed if you get maybe 4 of them across the length?

You don't think it would make it too hard to open for my frail little ma' ?

Not really no.
I'm talking about those thin frige magnet type of things, but of course, not a fridge magnet, but that kind of strenth, that'd just about hold it closed until you wanted to open it.

Anyway, the magnets holding it closed before would have been stronger and harder to open

Another suggestion might be that the magnets in place already to keep it shut (if there are any), might have warn down, and can probably be reactivated again using the magnet trick.

Not really no.
I'm talking about those thin frige magnet type of things, but of course, not a fridge magnet, but that kind of strenth, that'd just about hold it closed until you wanted to open it.

Anyway, the magnets holding it closed before would have been stronger and harder to open

Another suggestion might be that the magnets in place already to keep it shut (if there are any), might have warn down, and can probably be reactivated again using the magnet trick.

I looked and honestly could not figure out how it was held closed before. I'm going to run down to home depot and see what I can pick up.

some sort of catch stuck to the side of it that will keep it closed and when you lift it up the door will spring open

I got some strip magnets, and I tried cutting them down to size to fit on the trim of the fridge. But its either too wide that it won't close, or too thin and not enough surface area to hold the door closed.

Back
Top Bottom