British people captured in Iran

Brookfield said:
Come on, there was never an intention to demand a ransom, it wasn't a band of rebels that captured them was it??, It was done under instructions from that country's government that's patently obvious to everybody, surely?, I just wonder what Bush would have done, had they been Americans, I dread to think!

Not going to disagree with you on the Bush thing. He probably would have sent in the whole Armored Division, started a new war, said, "9/11" and SOMEHOW justified it. :rolleyes: :eek:

Brookfield said:
Come on, there was never an intention to demand a ransom, it wasn't a band of rebels that captured them was it??, It was done under instructions from that country's government that's patently obvious to everybody, surely?, I just wonder what Bush would have done, had they been Americans, I dread to think!
I am in total agreement with you, but having said that, their still our biggest allies :)

Brookfield said:
As a general practice a phone call is made first, followed by an official letter, obviously you don't understand the politics involved here, I don't either really, but I expect Iran will regard this as one step short of massive sanctions being imposed, plus powerful nations showing their anger towards them, & that's the last thing they want, there will be no incursions of tanks etc, but as far as Iran is concerned there might as well be, the naval personnel will be released, probably within two months or sooner, mark my words.

Well what I'm really making at is a letter written in British-English sent to a middle eastern country. I tried reading a biography by Winston Churchill once and even though I could read it, I had no clue what he was saying. What I'm getting at is that your government sent a letter written in some already hard-to-understand English to a dominantly non-English speaking country. That, and it's a letter. You'd think telephones being the latest and greatest thing would have been used more then once then just a formal phone call. Tony Blair kind of seems like a push-over. *sigh*

Brookfield said:
As a general practice a phone call is made first, followed by an official letter, obviously you don't understand the politics involved here, I don't either really, but I expect Iran will regard this as one step short of massive sanctions being imposed, plus powerful nations showing their anger towards them, & that's the last thing they want, there will be no incursions of tanks etc, but as far as Iran is concerned there might as well be, the naval personnel will be released, probably within two months or sooner, mark my words.

The world will never stop trading with Iran. China likes oil from Iran, and unless the oil's gone Iran's got it made

a full scale ground war with Iran would seriously suck...i bet it'd be alot like the Afghan War the Soviet Union fought...in the first week or two they would crush the entire Iranian army, topple the capital and kill ole Ahmedimijiahd.

and you know if a ground war ensued you would have foreign islamic jihad fighters wanting to "crush the western armies". Then things would get bogged down with US forces engaging a bunch of small unit, islamic insurgent fighters...the US has always wins the war, but loses the peace...and in a way the insurgents fight in a non-conviential manner...plain clothes fighters, suicide bombers...they're tactics are effective but also cowardly.

but then again im still 17 so i aint got to sign up for the draft for another year :D

Jenox said:
Well what I'm really making at is a letter written in British-English sent to a middle eastern country. I tried reading a biography by Winston Churchill once and even though I could read it, I had no clue what he was saying. What I'm getting at is that your government sent a letter written in some already hard-to-understand English to a dominantly non-English speaking country. That, and it's a letter. You'd think telephones being the latest and greatest thing would have been used more then once then just a formal phone call. Tony Blair kind of seems like a push-over. *sigh*
All the world's governments have official interpreters, difficulty reading it would not be a problem, anyway, every country in the world has at least one person that speaks Engish, you can't say that for any other language.

Back
Top Bottom