Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-20-2006, 02:06 PM   #1
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to mammikoura
Default BOINC anyone?

Anyone using the BOINC software?
It's another distributed computing software, and well BOINC is the best one I've used. The client is nice and simple. The major advantage (atleast for me) is that u can participate in multiple different projects with just one client. Also has alot of options, like u can set it to only work during the night if u want to, and stuff like that.

I'm currently doing work for 3 projects, Seti@home (no need to explain), Rosetta@home (finding cures to diseases by folding protein structures) and ufluids (does research in how fluids act under different circumstances, could be used for example to improve nanotechnology etc)

If u are participating u can see ur stats (credit) from this webpage.
http://www.boincsynergy.com/stats/index.php
just scroll all the way down and put ur username in the box.
If anyone is interested, my username is mammikoura.

I just thought to share this with u guys, and give that idle cpu something to do! Some of the projects are for a very good cause and the researchers need computation power to get results!

mammikoura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 08:28 PM   #2
In Runtime

Send a message via ICQ to j.venning Send a message via MSN to j.venning
Default Re: BOINC anyone?

Used to use it but found it had a MAHUSIVE impact on CPU usage even when set to minimal or when pc not in use whatever! Had to stop the BBC Climate Change and Seti BOIC because I couldnt run anything else (this is with my old Celeron D 2.7 by the way, not the one in my sig!)

Do you notice it uses lots of CPU?

Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme Edition QX6800 (2.93GHz)
Intel Extreme D975XBX2KR Motherboard
BFG GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB GDDR3
Corsair 2GB DDR2 XMS2 Dominator RAM
Thermaltake VE2000SWA Armour LCS Super Tower
Western Digital Raptor X 150GB X2
j.venning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 11:43 PM   #3
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.venning
Used to use it but found it had a MAHUSIVE impact on CPU usage even when set to minimal or when pc not in use whatever! Had to stop the BBC Climate Change and Seti BOIC because I couldnt run anything else (this is with my old Celeron D 2.7 by the way, not the one in my sig!)

Do you notice it uses lots of CPU?
yes, well it uses all of the cpu power available. The only time I need to stop doing work in boinc is when I play some demanding games. Like oblivion starts to lag quite much when fighting if boinc is running. Other than that it's good.

And I have the preferences set so that when I'm using the computer boinc won't do any work. But usually I keep it at run always since it working doesn't bother unless I'm gaming.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:28 AM   #4
Site Team

I'll take a look at that. The seti one put me off where it said that it limits your cpu life
David Lindon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 07:30 AM   #5
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lindon
I'll take a look at that. The seti one put me off where it said that it limits your cpu life
well every second that ur computer is on limits the life of the cpu.
The only reason they say that is because the cpu will be running at 100% (also possible to use only one core from the processor, so in some cases u can have it running at 50%)

All of the projects and every other distributed computing thingy known to man shortens the cpu life by using it. But other than using the cpu the program does nothing to damage it, and even under 100% use a cpu should last for a very long time.