a blackberry question.

LukaszR1

Fully Optimized
Ok so i have the BlackBerry Smartphone with the built in GPS device. Now i don't have an unlimited data plan, just unlimited email. the software that comes on the blackberry requires the usage of data...which in my case is out of question for now.

My question is, is there a program out there for the blackberry that can be used with my gps device...just like the car ones?

Probably not because the blackberry gets charged to use the data, while another may not charge, but the actual unit is more expensive depending on how often you use it.

I'm pretty sure it'll use your data plan because most of those GPS programs use your carrier's network as the GPS.

it's depend what OS is was running.

since you've given so little information I'll have to assume some things.

first, if your GPS uses data transfer to help position it, then frankly it's crap. really really crap.

get a cheap GPS unit that's separate from the phone that you'll be able to connect to with blue tooth.
http://shop.ebay.com/items/_W0QQ_nkwZbluetoothQ20gpsQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZR40QQ_mdoZ

of course if your phone has real GPS then this step is unnecessary.

if it is one of th newer blackberries that do have real GPS built in then it's likely running some kind of version of windows mobile.
so go get a copy of the tom tom mobile software, and this will give you the GPS you want for a (relativity) cheap price.

you *can* pirate tom tom. however I advise that you don't.

mostly because they actually stopped letting devices use the software without a uniquely generated device code, so if you try to pirate you'll be stuck with version 5, (about 5 years old now).
without the ability to upgrade to new maps.

to be fair you won't get a much better price that just buying it anyway, having looked on www.tomtom.com detailed maps of the entire of western Europe cost only £87, you could spend more than that on paper map books.

sadly there are no prices on the US version of the site.

I have had the troubles with getting messages on the MSN on blackberry. So it is only blackberry related issue?

it's depend what OS is was running.

since you've given so little information I'll have to assume some things.

first, if your GPS uses data transfer to help position it, then frankly it's crap. really really crap.

get a cheap GPS unit that's separate from the phone that you'll be able to connect to with blue tooth.
http://shop.ebay.com/items/_W0QQ_nkwZbluetoothQ20gpsQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZR40QQ_mdoZ

of course if your phone has real GPS then this step is unnecessary.

if it is one of th newer blackberries that do have real GPS built in then it's likely running some kind of version of windows mobile.
so go get a copy of the tom tom mobile software, and this will give you the GPS you want for a (relativity) cheap price.

you *can* pirate tom tom. however I advise that you don't.

mostly because they actually stopped letting devices use the software without a uniquely generated device code, so if you try to pirate you'll be stuck with version 5, (about 5 years old now).
without the ability to upgrade to new maps.

to be fair you won't get a much better price that just buying it anyway, having looked on www.tomtom.com detailed maps of the entire of western Europe cost only £87, you could spend more than that on paper map books.

sadly there are no prices on the US version of the site.
lol blackberries run blackberry OS. I tried helping him but I couldn't find a program that did GPS with pre-downloaded maps.

I can't believe that some people actually think that GPS in itself, uses data. (not root, but other people in this thread)

I'm pretty sure it'll use your data plan because most of those GPS programs use your carrier's network as the GPS.

Nah, That's not GPS, so to speak. I think it's triangulation, because they work out which phone masts you're connected to.

lol blackberries run blackberry OS. I tried helping him but I couldn't find a program that did GPS with pre-downloaded maps.

I can't believe that some people actually think that GPS in itself, uses data. (not root, but other people in this thread)

yes, my bad.

it's windows devices that can run blackberry OS emulator/virtualisations not the other way around.

well with my looking around...my best bet is to just get the unlimited data plan for $30 from Bell. Would mean only $15.00 more then what i'm paying now...no biggy.

Thank you everyone for you help :)

Back
Top Bottom