Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-09-2007, 01:17 PM   #1
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm
Default Big boost

Well, this could go in multiple sections, so i'm just going to plant it here.

My motherboard has dual on-board LAN ports and as part of the 680 chipset LAN drivers, you get the option to team the ports for double effectiveness.

Well, i Teamed my ports today expecting maybe a small differance in noticeable speed. I was wrong. Every thing flys! Evga's splash page thing used to take maybe three seconds to fully load because of the picture that changes every time you go to it. Now, its popped up before i've even released the mouse button.

I have tested to make sure its not just a low-activity in my area by going back to single, and have tested on many sites. And i must say i love it.

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 03:30 PM   #2
Golden Master

Default Re: Big boost

Um...shouldn't the speed be limited by your internet connection, not the LAN ports? Are you sure the pages aren't just getting cached or something??
Even if you had a 100 Mbps internet connection, doesn't your router connect to the modem with a single ethernet cable??

Or does it work so like the information is split into multiple parts as it comes through, letting the hard drive write the information faster or something..

Haha, I don't know what browser you're using, but I'm pretty sure the page doesn't start to come up until after you release the mouse button..

Old 05-09-2007, 03:39 PM   #3
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestyler105 View Post
Um...shouldn't the speed be limited by your internet connection, not the LAN ports? Are you sure the pages aren't just getting cached or something??
Even if you had a 100 Mbps internet connection, doesn't your router connect to the modem with a single ethernet cable??

Or does it work so like the information is split into multiple parts as it comes through, letting the hard drive write the information faster or something..

Haha, I don't know what browser you're using, but I'm pretty sure the page doesn't start to come up until after you release the mouse button..
Yeah unless you have an over 100 meg internet connection you shouldn't notice any difference at all. If you do their was something seriously wrong in the first place.
DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 04:51 PM   #4
Site Team

Most modern motherboards have Gigabit Nics now anyway so teaming them would still be useful for local purposes but unless you have an extremely fast net connection I can't see it making a difference.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:14 PM   #5
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to joxley1990 Send a message via MSN to joxley1990

I could see how it could be useful for a LAN connection between different computers, even for a server, but I wouldn't expect to see a difference in usage on the internet.
joxley1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 05:48 PM   #6
Golden Master

Well, that's awkward. Teaming up LANs is set to merge two ISPs in one. So unless you got two cables both connected to the net, I doubt that the speeds are going to change, unless you have a high speed internet.
lhuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 06:03 PM   #7
Site Team

ok, well maybe not before i press teh button, but it seams like that.

I too doubted that it would make a difference on the net. the only thing i can think of is i'm not getting signals too and from my router faster, which is in-turn getting things to and from the net faster.

to eliminate teh possiblity of casched images, i did clear it and re-visit teh sites before i posted this, and got the same performance.

Old 05-09-2007, 11:16 PM   #8
In Runtime

That is definently a very interesting result, you should invest it some more and do some research and let us know what you come up with!
Old 05-09-2007, 11:35 PM   #9
Site Team

what's that speed test program? that show's your internet speeds at download and upload? i can run that teamed and un-teamed to see what things turn out to be.

Old 05-10-2007, 07:36 AM   #10
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by celegorm View Post
what's that speed test program? that show's your internet speeds at download and upload? i can run that teamed and un-teamed to see what things turn out to be.
www.dslreports.com

DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote