The Big Bang Theory

It's pretty much the same deal in america. You can get a few channels for free with an antenna. To get more you have to buy a cable or satellite subscription, but all you get then is a ton of crap with so many ads it's not even worth watching usually. I don't think I've watched anything on cable in several months now, even though we have it.

Ahh ok. We've had pay TV a few times but got it cut off.

I live in a fairly rural area where there isn't much in the way of channels you can pickup with a regular antenna for free and there is no cable TV available so we have a satellite subscription and have a couple of hundred channels available.

Some of the channels are "premium" which means we pay extra over the regular subscription price to have them. These premium channels are things like HBO and Showtime which predominately show movies but also have their own series that they developed. The premium channels are ad free in that you won't see ads for laundry detergent or beer but they have ads for their series and such.

Even with so many channels available I still run into situations where there is nothing on that I want to watch!

We dropped our cable subscription about 1.5 years ago. We still get all the major network channels. No extra channels though. With Netflix and my parents online cable account, I haven't missed it at all. And we save about $60 a month.

in our country we have about 15 channels on freeVeiw

but how can it be free when you have to pay for the set top box and have to wait 1 year for a new US program to come here?

i'll just torrent - if you know what i mean (and most people here do) :)

in our country we have about 15 channels on freeVeiw

but how can it be free when you have to pay for the set top box and have to wait 1 year for a new US program to come here?

i'll just torrent - if you know what i mean (and most people here do) :)
Yeah, I was gutted when I had to pay for my TV.

I heard that radio was free to, but I was still made to pay for my receiver...

Oh wait, the free in free view means free to receive, not that you are given a receiver for free.

Yeah, I was gutted when I had to pay for my TV.

I heard that radio was free to, but I was still made to pay for my receiver...

Oh wait, the free in free view means free to receive, not that you are given a receiver for free.

Hold on here, do you mean, that TV is supposed to be free where you live? Where do you live?? Over here, you'd be lucky to get away with $30 a month for 50 channels. plus $100 with labor and the receiver.

I considered getting cable TV when I switched from Clear internet to Time Warner (night and day difference as far as internet reliability and connection is concerned BTW), but I decided I'd never actually watch it when I had Netflix and other ways to watch TV shows online. Most of the time I wouldn't be home to watch the TV show when it aired anyway. Yeah, I know that's what DVRs are for, but you can get the same thing online anyway without paying for cable.

That's interesting. We have Netflix in addition to our satellite subscription and I'd give up Netflix before I'd give up anything else. Netflix has an extremely limited amount of content to the point that I have trouble ever finding anything I want to watch from there.

Back
Top Bottom