better mpg than hybrids ????

Hybrids are overrated. It really depends what type of driving you're doing. If you live in a busy city or you're a taxi driver making lots of stops, then having a hybrid is a good idea. If you're a commuter and take the freeway anyways, forget it...it'll be running on the petrol engine rather than the electric motor.

Don't even get me started on the Prius. I don't know what Toyota was smoking when they designed that thing...I've never seen such an obscene piece of automotive design in my life (other than Chris Bangle's designs).

I also have a certain hate for most Prius drivers...most of them either don't know:
1.) How to drive.
2.) Don't understand the concept of an accelerator.
3.) Don't know that an expressway or freeway actually has faster speed limits than standard roads.
4.) Or they don't understand the concept of the left lane rule.

Yet I'm sure most of them also buy it because they think that somehow being "environmentally friendly" will somehow increase the number of friends they have or increase their social status. Why do you think all the Hollywood celebrities have them? So it looks like they give a shit! That's why! :rolleyes: How pathetic.

As for fuel mileage...puhlease. Like I said, it depends how you drive it. Hell, even a BMW 520d got better fuel mileage and emissions than the Prius. A DIESEL!!

Readers of London's Sunday Times kept telling the auto reporters that the official mileage numbers for the Prius were overstated by about 15 imperial mpg. Intrigued, the Times decided to test things out by running a Prius against a BMW 520d with regenerative braking from London to Geneva, a 460-mile trip. Then they added 100 miles of urban running to give the Prius a chance to recover ground on its proper turf.

The verdict: the conventional diesel with Efficient Dynamics beat the full hybrid by 2.2 imperial mpg, or 1.8 US mpg. This means that an executive sedan with all the mod-cons and 500 extra pounds beat the mollusk-shaped sip-tastic wunderkind known as the Prius. And the diesel's CO2 emissions are just 32 g/km higher than the hybrid poster-child, to boot.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/03/23/bmw-520d-beats-prius-in-gas-mileage/

I'll keep my proper petrol-engined car for now, thank very much.

Hybrids are definitely overrated, and for some of their pricetags, you can easily spend that money on extra gas with another car.

The one thing I *despise* is when people will go out and BUY a hybrid as a second car in order to cut down on gas money.

"Hey dude, you got a hybrid?"

"Yeah, as a second car to save gas money!"

"Wow...um, how much did you pay for it?"

"Only $22,000!"

Hybrids are definitely overrated, and for some of their pricetags, you can easily spend that money on extra gas with another car.

The one thing I *despise* is when people will go out and BUY a hybrid as a second car in order to cut down on gas money.

"Hey dude, you got a hybrid?"

"Yeah, as a second car to save gas money!"

"Wow...um, how much did you pay for it?"

"Only $22,000!"

wow exactly what i meant... lol! only 22k hahahahaha, they want to save money in gas but they prbly get like 30 avrg currently hybrid is like 45 avrg so they get 15 more miles but are actualy paying more.... and the air thats let outta the honda's isent bad, the emissions rating was rated at 3.5 (best)

Lets say you drive 650 miles a week, which is very common for a commuter living in my city. You get 30 miles per gallon, meaning it would take you 22+ gallons to drive every week. In Canada, 22 gallons of gas would be 100 litres. At $1.20 per litre, thats 120$ worth of gas weekly, which equates to $6,200 per year worth of gas.

Now, you can see where the savings are. I based the distance on driving Hamilton to Toronto daily (as well as a small activity), and a fuel efficient SUV.

My only problem with hybrids is that they are all ugly. I don't understand why auto manufacturers can't make a nice looking hybrid car?

Lets say you drive 650 miles a week, which is very common for a commuter living in my city. You get 30 miles per gallon, meaning it would take you 22+ gallons to drive every week. In Canada, 22 gallons of gas would be 100 litres. At $1.20 per litre, thats 120$ worth of gas weekly, which equates to $6,200 per year worth of gas.

Now, you can see where the savings are. I based the distance on driving Hamilton to Toronto daily (as well as a small activity), and a fuel efficient SUV.

Yeah, thats if you live in the city. The difference between a hybrid and a petrol car on the highway isn't very noticeable since you're running on the petrol engine. rather than your electric motor.

My only problem with hybrids is that they are all ugly. I don't understand why auto manufacturers can't make a nice looking hybrid car?

I agree. The Prius is hideous...of course you could get other hybrids like the Honda Civic Hybrid etc..

shoot x9999999999999999999
haha hybrids get average of 50 city and 45 highway, and then you have to worry about the battery thing getting changed every couple of years! those things costs a couple thousand to do it! =\ cant wait till i get my honda, ughh im driving my brothers car right now and it gets like 20mpg between city and highway haha, yeah now that sux!

dang that car is crazy! haha yeah well i can tune a car to get better gas milage than its stock times ez, just throw a couple things on it (exuast, and cold air intake) then tune the chip and i could get 65 highway on one of those hondas, i wouldent do it though cuz it wouldent be very fast........ hahaha and yes, neutral is crazy good in saving gas i use it all the time, just hold that clutch in haha

Im curious how you would increase mileage by increasing the air you intake thus you need more fuel to balance the ratio and when your releasing more exhause. I could understand if it was a smaller exhause and smaller piping but not what they have out now

I agree. The Prius is hideous...of course you could get other hybrids like the Honda Civic Hybrid etc..

....... you cant put the civic up as an alternative for an ugly car, civics are horrible things.. especially the new style ones...

Back
Top Bottom