Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-22-2008, 09:13 PM   #1
Daemon Poster

Default better mpg than hybrids ????

http://www.cars.com/go/crp/research....=&aff=national
a 1992-1995 honda civic gets better gas milage than probaly all of the hybrids out right now! dont think this is bs either lol cuz my dad and friend has one and wow, yeah drove like 100 miles and it dident even dent the meter down lol how many of you guys actualy knew this?

Old 04-22-2008, 09:17 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to esa193
Default Re: better mpg than hybrids ????

cars could be getting even better then that
but they dont because then ud buy less oil and they would make less money
air power cars are looking to be the future of automobiles
125 miles on a single tank of air
can get up to 90mph
3 dolors to fill up!!!!

MacArthur wrestling pwns!
esa193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:17 PM   #3
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS

51 mpg is impressive, but a hybrid will still do better. Heck, some people have got 120mpg on some cars.
DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:18 PM   #4
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ-CHRIS View Post
Heck, some people have got 120mpg on some cars.

Show me! I'll take two. One for me, One for my woman.
AmericanSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:24 PM   #5
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to D-Lew

To get high mileage out of ordinary cars people will go to extremes...
Inflate tires to 40's psi
Draft behind semi-trucks and other large vehicles, which means get up like <100 ft.
Modify engine control computer and other engine parts
Coast down hills in neutral or with clutch disengaged (Which is actually illegal in Alabama I know for a fact)

etc...

Hypermilers is what they are called. Crazy stuff though.
D-Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:25 PM   #6
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanSensei View Post
I read that somewhere, but with quick searching this is all I found

http://www.hybridcars.com/forums/tdi...eage-t413.html

Yeah going down hills in neutral does help, when I go downhill or don't need to accelerate, often throw the car in neutral.
DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:27 PM   #7
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanSensei View Post
shoot x9999999999999999999
haha hybrids get average of 50 city and 45 highway, and then you have to worry about the battery thing getting changed every couple of years! those things costs a couple thousand to do it! =\ cant wait till i get my honda, ughh im driving my brothers car right now and it gets like 20mpg between city and highway haha, yeah now that sux!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ-CHRIS View Post
I read that somewhere, but with quick searching this is all I found

http://www.hybridcars.com/forums/tdi...eage-t413.html

Yeah going down hills in neutral does help, when I go downhill or don't need to accelerate, often throw the car in neutral.
dang that car is crazy! haha yeah well i can tune a car to get better gas milage than its stock times ez, just throw a couple things on it (exuast, and cold air intake) then tune the chip and i could get 65 highway on one of those hondas, i wouldent do it though cuz it wouldent be very fast........ hahaha and yes, neutral is crazy good in saving gas i use it all the time, just hold that clutch in haha
Old 04-22-2008, 10:16 PM   #8
In Runtime

learn about fuel efficiency before you talk. efficiency is the thermal efficiency of the engine and seeing as how we run most cars at about 30 percent efficiency we get garbage. so basically almost floor it all the time. hybrids are owning right now due to regenerative braking so we're not wasting all the kinetic energy when we stop, also have the electric motor powering everything when you're at idle saves you fuel consumption unlike our crap cars now that just waste all kinds of energy. the only problem is that the electric cars mix with an atkinson cycle engine thus almost no real power comes from it and we get little HP. the air cars are ok but from what ive seen they will be very inefficient because air isn't the best gas and whenever you run out a gas generator runs the motor making you rely on fuel again. the electric cars are the best thus far, but it comes down to if were are will to bring in more nuclear power to drive our vehicles instead of oil. basically we will always be f***ed when it comes to vehicles and there is nothing you can do about it unless you yourself make a new car.
My setup: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+, 2Gb A-data ddr800, MSI K9A2 CF 790X, MSI 2600XT T2D512EZ, Samsung DVD-RW, Ultra 500W PS Vseries, Maxtor 80Gb, Aspire Mid-tower case, Windows xp Home, Westinghouse 19" LCD
kostonbleeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:46 PM   #9
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to borat_sagdiyev Send a message via MSN to borat_sagdiyev

on this show on discovery channel called daily planet, there was this guy who is like the most efficient driver in the world, and he did 178 miles per gallon in a hybrid. now THATS insane. He doesn't use brakes around corners, goes like under the speed limit usually, and doesn't hold the gas alot.
evga geforce 7600GT overclocked
borat_sagdiyev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 11:51 PM   #10
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostonbleeds View Post
learn about fuel efficiency before you talk. efficiency is the thermal efficiency of the engine and seeing as how we run most cars at about 30 percent efficiency we get garbage. so basically almost floor it all the time. hybrids are owning right now due to regenerative braking so we're not wasting all the kinetic energy when we stop, also have the electric motor powering everything when you're at idle saves you fuel consumption unlike our crap cars now that just waste all kinds of energy. the only problem is that the electric cars mix with an atkinson cycle engine thus almost no real power comes from it and we get little HP. the air cars are ok but from what ive seen they will be very inefficient because air isn't the best gas and whenever you run out a gas generator runs the motor making you rely on fuel again. the electric cars are the best thus far, but it comes down to if were are will to bring in more nuclear power to drive our vehicles instead of oil. basically we will always be f***ed when it comes to vehicles and there is nothing you can do about it unless you yourself make a new car.
hey 420 was the other day, its not today anymore stop smoking so much cuz you sir, are tripin! hybrids suck, there slow as hell and they get 40-50's in gas milage, the most ive saw was around 59 from a toyota i belive. So you go ahead and take those 2 motors thats slower that the 1 and get the same gas milage cept pay 20k more for it.... gj!