Best Mic for Recording

The OP has a guitar amp and want's to mic-it-up.

All that is initially needed is a dynamic mic with an adaptor for 3.5mm jack to plug into the mic-in on his sound card. The guitar plugs into the guitar amp.

d'oh! He could run the headphones out on the amp into the line in. its an amplified signal, so you don't wanna use the mic jack.

lol

Yea the mic-in isn't great and if the guitar amp has a line out it would be much better.

The best bet would be to try and budget for a small USB audio interface that has built-in mic-pre's and a SM57.

i think sound quality is going to take a hit with that. Since you are going mic'ing a amp, to a "sound board" and plugging into your sound card.

So you are relying on your sound card to carry the sound.

I would suggest this: http://www.zzounds.com/item--PRSFSMOBILE

Its a firebox, it is connected via FIREWIRE its pricey. but the sound quality is that of a studio.

I used an older model for a long time, and the sound quality was seriously CD.

and USB units are nice, but slow, and sound quality will take the hit. Use a firewire for the best.

i think sound quality is going to take a hit with that. Since you are going mic'ing a amp, to a "sound board" and plugging into your sound card.

So you are relying on your sound card to carry the sound.

I would suggest this: http://www.zzounds.com/item--PRSFSMOBILE

Its a firebox, it is connected via FIREWIRE its pricey. but the sound quality is that of a studio.

I used an older model for a long time, and the sound quality was seriously CD.

and USB units are nice, but slow, and sound quality will take the hit. Use a firewire for the best.

Don't know what a 'Sound Board' is. With any audio interface you would disable any onboard audio anyway as you wouldn't use it.

But as I said an audio interface together with a nice mic is the best bet whether it be a Firewire interface, like the one you linked or USB interface. I reckon a PCI/PCIE audio interface is a little too much here. USB is capable of sending/receiving multiple audio tracks despite it's speed and with nice ASIO drivers you'll get very low latencies with great performance.

USB units are nice, but slow, and sound quality will take the hit. Use a firewire for the best.
Not in this day and age. Firewire is pretty dead these days, especially now USB3 is out - and regardless, USB2 has been able to cope with external audio interfaces with no problem at all. I'd advise against firewire for those reasons - fewer and fewer PCs are coming with it as standard.

Back
Top Bottom