Battery low in the fast lane

I think Hydrogen is by far the best answer.
It'll also please the environmentalists.

Maybe the oil going will be the best thing for us in the long term, since we won't be damaging the planet as much

I know very well that Hydrogen needs Oxygen to ignite as do almost all combustibles in order to either explode or catch fire, it is elementary chemistry.

I One suffers from a myriad of practical non-starters and the other from a safety issue which is more demanding than trying to prevent one enormous BANG when there is a catastrophic leak in the liquid Hydrogen circuits of an orbital rocket

Im having a bit of trouble reconciling the points you are making here . Surely there is no risk of one enormous BANG when an orbital rockets fuel lines leak as there is not sufficient oxygen up there to create the environment in which it could go boom

Whilst it might be too expensive now to research and implement a new system be that batteries/electric cars or hydrogen or whatever other sustainable methods of powering a car there are just you wait till the oil reserves actually do start running out and the prices of oil start dramatically rising , youll soon see a rush too implement whatever the new soloution is going to be

Without wishing to turn this interesting and vitally important thread into a personal opinion exercise, I would stress that it is a matter that will have to be seriously resolved fairly quickly.

We are told by the egg-heads that global oil supplies will start to decline around 2020. Well, that sure `aint far away. Alternative means of power will have to be studied and put into practice very soon. Mind you, the scientists often forecast Armageddon and it never happens, they are prone to coming up with stupid and irresponsible statements that forecast the end of mankind will occur tomorrow.
They do not yet know why the Dinosaurs died out, without turning any scientific debate into a bun-fight.

I do not know the answer, if I did I would become a multi-millionaire overnight. One thing is certain - Electric or Hydrogen powered vehicles will never happen. One suffers from a myriad of practical non-starters and the other from a safety issue which is more demanding than trying to prevent one enormous BANG when there is a catastrophic leak in the liquid Hydrogen circuits of an orbital rocket

Electric cars - think again, they are totally impractical.
Hydrogen power - forget it unless we wish to place the entire population in a situation of immediate extinction.
Both of these ideas are credible but nothing more than Jules Verne fantasies.

Solution ? Have`nt a clue, but good luck to those who are searching for a satisfactory alternative. I reckon you are going to have to earn that PhD in real terms.

Perhaps we will all have to revert back to the reliable and trusted two wheel bike, hoop or roller skates. I will not be around to see this transformation from modern rapid and efficient mobility back to the Stone Age.

Excuse me, I have to dash off and fill my tank with a time proven good old petroleum product. Sleep well tonight ? I sure will.

John Bull

Your negativity is annoying. It seems you have no faith in man to keep himself going. We tend to get pretty creative when the chips are down or there's a goal. It would behoove you to look closer at what we done so far and where that is going.

Your negativity is annoying. It seems you have no faith in man to keep himself going. We tend to get pretty creative when the chips are down or there's a goal. It would behoove you to look closer at what we done so far and where that is going.

I agree and well said Setishock.

I just wish all the car companies would focus their engineering and resources in one direction so we can get further ahead with it.
This. Once they've got the tech out there they can start competing - but getting it into the mainstream is a job that they'll need to do together, putting aside differences.

NEGATIVITY ! What a condescending insulting remark to make. You do not know what you are talking about. This thread was not posted to get abusive comments from the likes of you. I suggest that instead of insulting people who know far more than you do about the subject or "Backs to the Wall" philosophy, it would be more educational for you to appreciate the points of view and experiences of others that you have never had the fortune or misfortune to personally experience. GURU ? It`s a joke surely. I can get a better "Guru" comment from Goofy in Disneyland.

As an ex-parachute soldier I don`t need your irrelevant advice on what to do when the chips are down. What a disgusting remark from a total nondescript, we were taught it in very hard terms by guys who knew what they were talking about AND we never did much retreating. Para`s don`t walk backwards very often. "Chips are down", from you that is a big laugh.

So please refrain from making provocative and insulting statements that are not justified against people who have been exposed to life situations you have never even dreamed of and have no qualifications to criticize.

This is a nice thread, so regard it as such and stop making personal abusive comments. Try another thread more in line with your muck-raking and insulting attitude.

If I annoy you, then be my guest, I find it somewhat pleasing. I can see that you have never had your back to the wall in your life and do not have the slightest respect for others that have. Just to sit back with your computer and poke fun at people who have earned their spurs in both education and life`s rich pattern of events.

Face it man - any alternative cobble-up to natural oil reserves is a hypothetical and irrational pipe dream. The oil supplies gobbled up from Mother Earth`s vast supplies by colossal demand after millions of years being created will NEVER be matched by man-made equivalents. The prospect of compensating for the Earth`s massive oil reserves by man-made solutions is impossible - the astronomic demand will outstrip production in seconds.

John Bull

Without wishing to turn this interesting and vitally important thread into a personal opinion exercise, I would stress that it is a matter that will have to be seriously resolved fairly quickly.

We are told by the egg-heads that global oil supplies will start to decline around 2020. Well, that sure `aint far away. Alternative means of power will have to be studied and put into practice very soon. Mind you, the scientists often forecast Armageddon and it never happens, they are prone to coming up with stupid and irresponsible statements that forecast the end of mankind will occur tomorrow.
They do not yet know why the Dinosaurs died out, without turning any scientific debate into a bun-fight.

I do not know the answer, if I did I would become a multi-millionaire overnight. One thing is certain - Electric or Hydrogen powered vehicles will never happen. One suffers from a myriad of practical non-starters and the other from a safety issue which is more demanding than trying to prevent one enormous BANG when there is a catastrophic leak in the liquid Hydrogen circuits of an orbital rocket

Electric cars - think again, they are totally impractical.
Hydrogen power - forget it unless we wish to place the entire population in a situation of immediate extinction.
Both of these ideas are credible but nothing more than Jules Verne fantasies.

Solution ? Have`nt a clue, but good luck to those who are searching for a satisfactory alternative. I reckon you are going to have to earn that PhD in real terms.

Perhaps we will all have to revert back to the reliable and trusted two wheel bike, hoop or roller skates. I will not be around to see this transformation from modern rapid and efficient mobility back to the Stone Age.

Excuse me, I have to dash off and fill my tank with a time proven good old petroleum product. Sleep well tonight ? I sure will.

John Bull

It sounds like you are not actually educated on this subject and just talking out of your ass as they say. Some of your ideas are so freaking retarded. Hydrgen cars wiping out humans?!?! jesus man....ROFL

Backwards thinking people like you annoy the hell out of me.

Here is some reading material for you:

http://alternativefuels.about.com/od/hydrogen/a/safehydrogen.htm - Click me to learn something

The Basic Nature and Characteristics of Hydrogen

* Hydrogen is non-toxic.
It is a naturally occurring, basically benign element found freely in the atmosphere. By comparison, petroleum fuels are extremely toxic.

* Hydrogen is less flammable than gasoline.
The auto-ignition temperature of hydrogen is 932 degrees Fahrenheit. Compare that to gasoline's auto-ignition temperature of 536 degrees Fahrenheit (auto-ignition temperature is the minimum temperature at which a fuel will ignite without a spark or flame). Yes, it's actually easier for gasoline to spontaneously combust.

* Hydrogen disperses quickly in the atmosphere.
Because hydrogen is so light (about 15 time lighter than air) it easily dissipates and if a leak or spill does occur, the hydrogen becomes rapidly sparse and difficult to ignite. And even if it does catch fire, it burns itself out very quickly. By contrast, heavier fuels such as diesel oil and gasoline do not rapidly dissipate and remain a fire threat for a longer period of time.

* Hydrogen stores safely.
The tanks used to store hydrogen, whether in its gaseous or liquid form, undergo demanding testing procedures. They must endure extreme heat and external pressure forces as well as collision impacts. Conventional gasoline and diesel fuel tanks are, in most instances, simple stamped steel shells that do not undergo these stringent stress tests.

* Hydrogen is clean.
The single emission from burned hydrogen is water vapor—that's it. Compare that to particulate matter (soot), NOx, CO, CO2 and—among other toxic emissions—from burned petroleum fuels.

ENDGAME

I gratefully thank every one of you for your detailed and constructive responses to this thread, but most of all for the personal tributes showered upon me.

Well, we shall see who wins.

John Bull

ENDGAME

I gratefully thank every one of you for your detailed and constructive responses to this thread, but most of all for the personal tributes showered upon me.

Well, we shall see who wins.

John Bull

So you have no response to my response? I post facts and all you can do is chicken out and run away?

Typical, very typical.

NEGATIVITY ! What a condescending insulting remark to make. You do not know what you are talking about. This thread was not posted to get abusive comments from the likes of you. I suggest that instead of insulting people who know far more than you do about the subject or "Backs to the Wall" philosophy, it would be more educational for you to appreciate the points of view and experiences of others that you have never had the fortune or misfortune to personally experience. GURU ? It`s a joke surely. I can get a better "Guru" comment from Goofy in Disneyland.

As an ex-parachute soldier I don`t need your irrelevant advice on what to do when the chips are down. What a disgusting remark from a total nondescript, we were taught it in very hard terms by guys who knew what they were talking about AND we never did much retreating. Para`s don`t walk backwards very often. "Chips are down", from you that is a big laugh.

So please refrain from making provocative and insulting statements that are not justified against people who have been exposed to life situations you have never even dreamed of and have no qualifications to criticize.

This is a nice thread, so regard it as such and stop making personal abusive comments. Try another thread more in line with your muck-raking and insulting attitude.

If I annoy you, then be my guest, I find it somewhat pleasing. I can see that you have never had your back to the wall in your life and do not have the slightest respect for others that have. Just to sit back with your computer and poke fun at people who have earned their spurs in both education and life`s rich pattern of events.

Face it man - any alternative cobble-up to natural oil reserves is a hypothetical and irrational pipe dream. The oil supplies gobbled up from Mother Earth`s vast supplies by colossal demand after millions of years being created will NEVER be matched by man-made equivalents. The prospect of compensating for the Earth`s massive oil reserves by man-made solutions is impossible - the astronomic demand will outstrip production in seconds.

John Bull

Mr. Bull, I think it's time for you to stop s****** on the internet. We are all tired of the Bull S***

Back
Top Bottom