Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-01-2013, 07:52 AM   #71
Fully Optimized
 
jmacavali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,867
Default Re: banning a traditional event??



Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart_Guy View Post
.....It teaches the children that lying (I mean telling lies, not something like going to bed haha) is okay. ....
Sorry but I have to here. Simply because english is such a stupid language. Those of us who speak it would have known exactly what you meant, but because it's not your native language, you felt the need to explain it. I was trying to explain the concept of ours (yours and mine) to my son a few days go and my wife said 'you should say it 'hours' and I said 'it's not the time of day' and she said 'but you're saying it like 'ares'' at which point I said 'english is so stupid'.
__________________

__________________
****************************************
Don't take life too seriously -- no one gets out alive. Plus, who wants to arrive to the hereafter in pristine condition wearing a suit and tie?
I want to slide in sideways, worn out, used up, hair a mess, clothes tattered, & screaming, "Whooo! What a ride!"
****************************************
jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:55 AM   #72
Site Team
 
berry120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: England, UK
Posts: 3,425
Default Re: banning a traditional event??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart_Guy View Post
Honestly tho, don't you think some events should really be stopped? Or maybe just some of their sub-events?

Something like April's Fools day? It teaches the children that lying (I mean telling lies, not something like going to bed haha) is okay. Not to mention the possible harmful results practicing it.

Or maybe the "trick" part of Trick and Treat.

Just thinking out loud here, no offense intended.
Actually yes, I think if there's a real practical reason to stop something then there should be a case for that - personally I'm probably a bit biased because I hate halloween (hate dressing up, hate that for 1 day in the year it's fine to knock on stranger's doors and ask for sweets) but I really wouldn't be sad if that went!

April fool's day is, I think less of an issue - but I can see why some would think it's a bad idea.

Quote:
I honestly don't believe it is the refugees who are advocating the removal of events, it is the Authorities of your own country sucking up to them not wanting to upset them, well that is how we saw things in our own country.
Yeah, this. The vast majority of refugees, and even non-refugees who may be of another religion, are absolutely fine with the customs and traditions and respect them fully even if they don't practice them. Where you do see opposition it's usually from the government wanting to somehow up their broken political correctness agenda.
__________________

__________________
Save the whales, feed the hungry, free the mallocs.
berry120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:18 AM   #73
..m.0,0.m..
Site Team
 
iPwn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 3,870
Default Re: banning a traditional event??

Quote:
Originally Posted by berry120 View Post
April fool's day is, I think less of an issue - but I can see why some would think it's a bad idea.
I get pranked about every year on April Fools. The only time I was truly upset was in Iraq. See, when you're in war, you completely lose track of time or date. So one morning, LT. gathers us around and says "Listen up Marines, our mission was a success... Nuclear weapons were found in a Mosque down near [some town]..." and we all started cheering because that meant we were there fighting for a legitimate cause. He then drops the line "April Fools f****rs."

That sucked.


Quote:
Originally Posted by berry120 View Post
Where you do see opposition it's usually from the government wanting to somehow up their broken political correctness agenda.
Refugees = future voters. That's probably what's going on here.
__________________
Me: You'd think as the dominant species we wouldn't be so effing stupid.
J: We're just intelligent enough to be completely effing stupid.
iPwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:21 AM   #74
Site Team
 
berry120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: England, UK
Posts: 3,425
Default Re: banning a traditional event??

Quote:
I get pranked about every year on April Fools. The only time I was truly upset was in Iraq. See, when you're in war, you completely lose track of time or date. So one morning, LT. gathers us around and says "Listen up Marines, our mission was a success... Nuclear weapons were found in a Mosque down near [some town]..." and we all started cheering because that meant we were there fighting for a legitimate cause. He then drops the line "April Fools f****rs."
Yeah.. that doesn't sound like the greatest one ever I must admit. Usually if I do prank someone it's always telling them something bad then seeing the relief on their face when it turns out to be false, rather than hyping them up over something good then leaving them miserable for the rest of the day when they find out it's not true!
__________________
Save the whales, feed the hungry, free the mallocs.
berry120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:12 PM   #75
Fully Optimized
 
Smart_Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Saudi Arabia
Posts: 3,227
Default Re: banning a traditional event??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacavali View Post

Sorry but I have to here. Simply because english is such a stupid language. Those of us who speak it would have known exactly what you meant, but because it's not your native language, you felt the need to explain it. I was trying to explain the concept of ours (yours and mine) to my son a few days go and my wife said 'you should say it 'hours' and I said 'it's not the time of day' and she said 'but you're saying it like 'ares'' at which point I said 'english is so stupid'.
I actually love English for that. It is full of pun and word play opportunities. We do have ambiguous words in Arabic too, but not even as half as much.

I do pronounce "ours and our" as if they are almost "R's and R" sometimes. At work westerners seem to have no problem with similar cases, but Indians and others often go like "what?" I have to speak English with them as I have no choice. "He's gone out side" as in " He has gone out side" (when I was asked about the manager once) really blew up the mind of one of them that day.

And btw, I did the explanation above as a joke. I knew it was clear. I was thinking someone might think "Oh, that's right, the two "lyings" do spell like each other haha".

Quote:
Originally Posted by berry120 View Post
Actually yes, I think if there's a real practical reason to stop something then there should be a case for that - personally I'm probably a bit biased because I hate halloween (hate dressing up, hate that for 1 day in the year it's fine to knock on stranger's doors and ask for sweets) but I really wouldn't be sad if that went!

April fool's day is, I think less of an issue - but I can see why some would think it's a bad idea.
I heard that if no sweets were given, the "trick" part could get ugly. No experience with it, but I can imagine what a child might do getting mad. Specially if they get the impression that "trick" is a part of it so it's okay to perform a prank on those don't give sweets. Not sure, just my thoughts.

April Fools is probably less of an issue, but it's indeed questionable to some on the theoretical moral side. I just don't like the idea of having a possible encouragement to lie. That could seriously affect the community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPwn View Post
I get pranked about every year on April Fools. The only time I was truly upset was in Iraq. See, when you're in war, you completely lose track of time or date. So one morning, LT. gathers us around and says "Listen up Marines, our mission was a success... Nuclear weapons were found in a Mosque down near [some town]..." and we all started cheering because that meant we were there fighting for a legitimate cause. He then drops the line "April Fools f****rs."

That sucked.
Did he actually call you guys f*****s?

Did you report him

It really does hurt to know that some good news weren't really true.
__________________
My main rig (click here).
Smart_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:56 PM   #76
Baseband Member
 
zeezeiler99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: netherlands
Posts: 91
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPwn View Post

Huh? Why?
not anymore ( it almost was on the unesco list but a person from the VN.

i have a website (dont know if it is real) that u know that europe is changing :/
http://ejbron.wordpress.com/2013/10/...n-heel-europa/

it is dutch, translation is avilible in Google Chrome in case you didn't know
zeezeiler99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:05 PM   #77
..m.0,0.m..
Site Team
 
iPwn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 3,870
Default Re: banning a traditional event??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart_Guy View Post
Did he actually call you guys f*****s?

Did you report him
... You must not understand Marines... we're not the most elite fighting force (outside of special forces) on the planet because we get offended when someone calls us names

When you make the rank of E4, you get a blood stripe on your dress blues. You pay for that with your own blood.
__________________
Me: You'd think as the dominant species we wouldn't be so effing stupid.
J: We're just intelligent enough to be completely effing stupid.
iPwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:33 PM   #78
Daemon Poster
 
YoungIT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 661
Default

If they banned Christmas, I'd move to Germany/Luxembourg/France/England, even though I'm gonna do it someday anyways :P
__________________
"Difficulties mastered are opportunities won" -Sir Winston S. Churchill
YoungIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:42 AM   #79
Fully Optimized
 
OhSnapWord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 1,853
Default Re: banning a traditional event??

I like how nobody cares about offending Christians to avoid offending others.
__________________
FX-8350 @ 4.7 cooled by H80, 32GB Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 2133, Asus Sabertooth 990FX, 2x Radeon HD 7850 2GB in X-fire, 500GB Samsung 850 Evo, 4TB Seagate, 3TB WD Black, 2x 1TB WD RED in RAID 0
OhSnapWord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:49 AM   #80
Daemon Poster
 
YoungIT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 661
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhSnapWord View Post
I like how nobody cares about offending Christians to avoid offending others.
What do you mean?
__________________

__________________
"Difficulties mastered are opportunities won" -Sir Winston S. Churchill
YoungIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0