banning a traditional event??

I dont particularly think that there is anything wrong with blacking up in context , I mean If I was to black up and get on stage and do a stereotypically racist of a black man then that is racist but not because of me being blacked up its because of what im implying with my impression

In the context of the black and white minstrel show it was pretty racist.
(The most famous person who "blacked up" was actually black though.

But that's not to say the character he portrayed (water Mellon loving, uneducated, etc) wasn't racist.

Re golliewogs my daughter has one. It's the one I had as a child, a free gift from the marmilade people (robertsons).

yeah for me the black and white minstrel show is racist because of the stereotypical manner in which the blacked up people are acting .

yeah we have a golliwog too . One of my parents got from the marmalade people . it sits on top of a wardrobe next to a zippy doll

I dont think that traditional events should be banned because if as a migrant you decide to settle in a country you should be willing to accept that countries practices and traditions weather that be religious in the sense that a Muslim settling in a christian country should accept that the indigenous population celebrate Christmas and easter , or a christian going to live in a Muslim country accepting that they couldnt drink any more

Call me old fashioned, but I agree. Christmas (here in the UK anyway) is a non-threatening, peaceful and hugely traditional celebration; while it's roots are certainly in a Christian context it's in no way alienating to people who aren't religious - I would imagine most people that celebrate it these days actually aren't. Now don't get me wrong, if you don't want to celebrate it, if you want to celebrate something else, or if you choose to celebrate it at some other point in the year, I have no problem with that whatever. But to demand that such a deep-seated event is removed from the public face of society simply because some have religious beliefs that don't agree with its origins? That in my mind is insane.

For me this goes to a couple of deeper issues, such as do people have the right to be offended - and I honestly think that unless it can be clearly seen that something has taken on a deliberately offensive context, or was designed to offend in the first place, then there should be no ground whatsoever to alter it.

A festivus for the rest of us!!!

Not quite as powerful when the all-caps is taken off. In this case I did want to shout it! :lol:

...Ok I realize that has nothing to do with the topic at hand, but I don't really have anything to add. And based on the last couple of posts about XMas and celebrating a non-threatening holiday, I couldn't resist.

Last edited:
Black peter is now on the unesco list :) so he wont dissapear

Huh? Why?

unesco.org said:
The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) seeks to encourage the identification, protection and preservation of cultural and natural heritage around the world considered to be of outstanding value to humanity

I'm all for the preservation of Black Peter's role in your Holiday, but not because he provides outstanding value to humanity. That's just odd for an elf to make that list...

I think it's irrational and stupid to let some refuges come in to your country and dictate to you what you will have and not have. Kick their pompous asses back to where they came from and let them see how far they get with that garbage.
Stand up for what you believe in. If you don't then you can stand idly by while that right is the first of many you will loose.

I think it's irrational and stupid to let some refuges come in to your country and dictate to you what you will have and not have. Kick their pompous asses back to where they came from and let them see how far they get with that garbage.
Stand up for what you believe in. If you don't then you can stand idly by while that right is the first of many you will loose.

I honestly don't believe it is the refugees who are advocating the removal of events, it is the Authorities of your own country sucking up to them not wanting to upset them, well that is how we saw things in our own country.

I don't mind Refugees following their own traditions as long as they respect our own, if not then you can say it is Racism.

I don't mind Refugees following their own traditions as long as they respect our own, if not then you can say it is Racism.

That is how I feel aswell. I don't like how they go to another country and expect everyone to follow their traditions, religions and beliefs just to suit themselves.

Honestly tho, don't you think some events should really be stopped? Or maybe just some of their sub-events?

Something like April's Fools day? It teaches the children that lying (I mean telling lies, not something like going to bed haha) is okay. Not to mention the possible harmful results practicing it.

Or maybe the "trick" part of Trick and Treat.

Just thinking out loud here, no offense intended.

Back
Top Bottom