AVG, new free version out in January

Brookfield

Golden Master
Present version discontinued Jan 25th, being replaced by 7.5, the blurb about it seems promising, It doesn't seem we have to d/load anything.
What's the opinion on them not giving us a choice in the matter?

You will always be able to get the older version, (7), where's the article to back that up Brookfield?

Actually I like version 7.5 better than 7.1 so I upgraded as soon as 7.5 came out. 7.5 I've heard has better heuristics, but I like the new interface better and it seems to use even less memory than the previous version (only 2 processes and total they're about 1.3MB) I like the fact it uses such a small amount of memory and it can detect just as well as the paid products I've used.

EDIT: here's an article http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1 on that one it says the 15th of January, maybe in the UK it's the 25th or something? oh well, either way I'm still a huge fan of AVG! :D

Brookfield said:
Present version discontinued Jan 25th, being replaced by 7.5, the blurb about it seems promising, It doesn't seem we have to d/load anything.
What's the opinion on them not giving us a choice in the matter?
Use this LINK, the d/load is there, then when you install do a repair install. (as per instructions)

I've been running 7.5 (free version) for a week or so now, it is much the same as the old version (newer UI) though Grisoft states better detection rules.

This version was released because the old 7.1 was having problems when run on Vista, the 7.5 is Vista compatible (and works fine with Vista RC1)

DILLIGAF said:
Use this LINK, the d/load is there, then when you install do a repair install. (as per instructions)

I've been running 7.5 (free version) for a week or so now, it is much the same as the old version (newer UI) though Grisoft states better detection rules.

This version was released because the old 7.1 was having problems when run on Vista, the 7.5 is Vista compatible (and works fine with Vista RC1)

version 7.5 does (from what I've heard) have better heuristics which I think is long overdue because the old version was awful in the dept. Also, grisoft has acquired ewido and ewido anti-malware is now AVG anti-spyware. AVG anti-spyware free edition and AVG antivirus free edition go well together. I've used version 7.5 for about a month now and I really like it, especially since it uses less memory. If you haven't given AVG anti-spyware a shot you should try it, it's a great product and it just like AVG antivirus doesn't slow your system down.

troy272 said:
version 7.5 does (from what I've heard) have better heuristics which I think is long overdue because the old version was awful in the dept. Also, grisoft has acquired ewido and ewido anti-malware is now AVG anti-spyware. AVG anti-spyware free edition and AVG antivirus free edition go well together. I've used version 7.5 for about a month now and I really like it, especially since it uses less memory. If you haven't given AVG anti-spyware a shot you should try it, it's a great product and it just like AVG antivirus doesn't slow your system down.
I haven't had a virus or spyware (apart from the usual tracking cookies) in over four years, i only run an anti virus app as a back up on the off chance something may get through.

:D

DILLIGAF said:

I assumed that they will automatically replace it it in January, isn't that correct?, if it is, I'll wait for that.

Brookfield said:
I assumed that they will automatically replace it it in January, isn't that correct?, if it is, I'll wait for that.
As far as I can find you have to do the upgrade yourself, I can't find any mention of an "auto update" on the Grisoft website.

GRISOFT

New Free Anti-Virus

GRISOFT is announcing a new version of the AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition. This new 7.5 version with improved performance and full compatibility with the latest Windows Vista version is available. Users that are using AVG Free 7.1 will be provided with a specific dialog, within the next few weeks, with the opportunity to choose the right option fulfilling their needs. AVG Free 7.1 version will be discontinued on 15th of Jan 2007.
SOURCE

GRISOFT

Update of AVG 7.1 to 7.5

Run the AVG Free Edition 7.5 Setup program
Click "Next >" on the AVG "Welcome!" screen
Click "Accept" on the "License Agreement on Use of an AVG Free Edition" screen
Select "Repair installation" on the "Select Setup Type" screen and click "Next >"
Select "Restart the computer now" (pre-selected by the program automatically) and click "OK" on the "Installation Complete!" screen to restart your computer and complete the installation.
SOURCE

I think your assumption may be incorrect.

DILLIGAF said:
As far as I can find you have to do the upgrade yourself, I can't find any mention of an "auto update" on the Grisoft website, I think your assumption may be incorrect.
Thanks for your trouble, in the first of your AVG quotes headed "new free anti-virus" it states " users who are using AVG Free 7.1 will be provided with a specific dialog within the nxt few weeks" etc, I take it when I receive this, that is when I will be able to d/load 7.5?

Back
Top Bottom