Audio Question

Try and get one thats not boomy.
My Logitech Z-5500 subwoofer is boomy. Its great at powering trance, etc, but sometimes, it feels too heavy.

Yeah, subwoofers aren't supposed to be noticeable when you're listening to music or movies. It's all supposed to blend it.

Surprisingly, a lot of subwoofers on the market don't even rumble at frequencies lower than 35-45hz...
I'd prefer a subwoofer that could rumble at the very lowest of frequencies.

Heck, even most headphones can get down to 10hz...haha...

Okay, thanks for the link. Guess I still need to purchase a subwoofer.
yes they can
although tbh 37hz is in the range that people might not be able to hear as they get older
and i doubt most recording use frequencies as low as 37hz depends what the frequency response of the recording equipment was anyway
why37hz anyway ??

and i thought you already bought a subwoofer? just where waiting for delivery

Yes. why 37hz though?

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.co...ontrol-2Way-IndoorOutdoor-Speaker-?sku=600178

Surprisingly, a lot of subwoofers on the market don't even rumble at frequencies lower than 35-45hz....

From what I gathered so far, most home theater subwoofers above a certain price point can easily go below 35 Hz. Depends on what market you're looking at though.

and i thought you already bought a subwoofer? just where waiting for delivery

Funny story about that. I canceled at the last minute when I saw another speaker on sale.

yes, even if that speaker did go below 37 I'd look at a sub because if its a 2 way as opposed to a 3 way, its either lacking in low end, or very high and very low end. How much, I don't know, but it will be a bit muddier than a 3 way.

yes, even if that speaker did go below 37 I'd look at a sub because if its a 2 way as opposed to a 3 way, its either lacking in low end, or very high and very low end. How much, I don't know, but it will be a bit muddier than a 3 way.

I don't know about muddier, but I do know there shouldn't be a large difference between the high and low frequency drivers.

I already have a JBL Control 28 which goes as low as 60 Hz. I was just looking for something that augments my existing speaker in terms of low frequency response.

Surprisingly, both of these use 8" drivers for low frequency. The high frequency drivers are a completely different story though.

I don't know about muddier, but I do know there shouldn't be a large difference between the high and low frequency drivers.
yea, I'm not sure if muddier is the right term now that I think about it, but I really don't know what I'd put in place there.

The most important part IMO is the mids. They will make or break the system.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.co...ontrol-2Way-IndoorOutdoor-Speaker-?sku=600178

From what I gathered so far, most home theater subwoofers above a certain price point can easily go below 35 Hz. Depends on what market you're looking at though.

Funny story about that. I canceled at the last minute when I saw another speaker on sale.

You want to look at the +-3db points for speakers, not the -10db point as that's where the music will seem half as loud to a human.

CD music goes all the way down to 20hz, however human's don't hear below 40hz or so, below 40hz is basically "rumble". It's not necessary for music, not much of it contains frequency's that low. Most consumer subwoofers only go down to 40khz or so, as well as many professional ones don't go lower than this as well, as it gets harder and harder to produce these frequency's loudly.

I didn't build that subwoofer in that link as well, my main speakers are 40hz to 20khz so I haven't really felt the need for a subwoofer. May get one on my PC though eventually.

Back
Top Bottom