Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-24-2006, 09:46 PM   #31
BSOD

Send a message via AIM to Trivium Nate
Talking Re: Attention pirates and file sharers

I use LimeWire yes but I dont Share my Files I only download music from it any ways

Trivium Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 09:52 PM   #32
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to borat_sagdiyev Send a message via MSN to borat_sagdiyev
Default Re: Attention pirates and file sharers

wait, so your saying that you cant get in trouble for downloading? just sharing?

evga geforce 7600GT overclocked
borat_sagdiyev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 03:09 AM   #33
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to MikeReiner Send a message via MSN to MikeReiner Send a message via Yahoo to MikeReiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by john123
wait, so your saying that you cant get in trouble for downloading? just sharing?
He never said that, nor is it true.
MikeReiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 03:31 AM   #34
Daemon Poster

Hmmm... I don't support this bill after all it's one step closer to....
Old 04-25-2006, 04:42 PM   #35
BSOD

This law is all very well (maybe) but it is the idiot end users that you need to watch ........ they're just plain stoooooopid

Quote:
"I sue dead people..."
2/4/2005 3:43:45 PM, by Eric Bangeman

The RIAA's ongoing campaign to stamp out file trading by suing consumers is old news. But when details of one of their latest lawsuits became public, it was too good to pass up. A suit filed recently in US District Court named 83-year-old Gertrude Walton as a defendant, accusing her of serving up over 700 songs onto peer-to-peer networks. Now, the RIAA has gone after grandmothers before. In 2003, they mistakenly targeted a 66-year-old woman for allegedly sharing gangsta rap. But this case goes a bit further, as Mrs. Walton actually passed away in December 2004.

Perhaps granny was dishing out illicit mp3s prior to her demise. Not so, says her daughter Robin Chianumba, who says her mother didn't want PCs in the house, and had absolutely zero experience operating them.

A few months after the legal campaign began, the RIAA decided to begin sending letters to suspected file traders prior to filing suit, in an attempt to get them to settle outside the legal system ("you pay us some money and we make this little problem go away"). By doing so, they hoped to avoid making stupid mistakes such as this one.

However, when Chianumba received such a letter from the trade group, she sent back a copy of her mother's death certificate in hopes of dissuading them from going ahead with the suit. The RIAA didn't heed the death certification, but it has apparently been convinced to its satisfaction that Mrs. Walton has passed beyond the earthly veil.

A Recording Industry Association of America spokesman said Thursday that Walton was likely not the smittenedkitten it's searching for.

"Our evidence gathering and our subsequent legal actions all were initiated weeks and even months ago," said RIAA spokesman Jonathan Lamy. "We will now, of course, obviously dismiss this case."

One would hope that they would be more diligent in ensuring that they have targeted the right people. Unfortunately, their history does little to inspire such hopes. Apparently the RIAA does not mind being thought of as a laughingstock.
Source
Deathstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 06:21 PM   #36
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to Paradox Send a message via MSN to Paradox Send a message via Yahoo to Paradox

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeReiner
Quote:
Originally Posted by john123
He never said that, nor is it true.

Actually, It is true. Atleast in the Continental US. You can get in trouble for uploading copyrighted materials, but they have no current way to prove that you download them (unless they upload them to you, which is a crime; or if they take your actual computer, which they could not do without proof)

Xbox Live: Error Lord
Personal Email: HunterMRose[at]gmail.com
Aim: Error Lord
Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 12:49 PM   #37
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by natej315
I use LimeWire yes but I dont Share my Files I only download music from it any ways
Same, except I use Ares.
LA061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 02:37 PM   #38
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to Nik00117 Send a message via MSN to Nik00117 Send a message via Yahoo to Nik00117

ISPs could report your logs to governemtn aganieces but most of the time they don't because your a paying customer, they don't care what happens to the record companies they'd rather make money, and aren't under a legal obiligtion to do this. And if I got one of those letters i'd consider paying off depdning on how much. But then again just use snitches, get poeple tell them hey, you do this, and this for us we don't sue you, we pay you a nice chunk of change and we are happy. Like 100,000 would really get my mind thinking... If any gov agency, recording industry came to me and said we want to bust online community heres 100,000 or somthing rat on them, i'd look at them and go, hehe heres a link