Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-13-2009, 06:01 AM   #21
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Assisted Suicide

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan23 View Post
Wouldn't assisted suicide technically be premeditated murder?
That's where it got confusing for me.

And yes, we should do another thread, thanks for reminding me ArrizX

StratosP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:24 AM   #22
Fully Optimized

legal last resort with case by case review and under strict coniditons

Core i7 2600K Sandybridge + Prolimatech Megahalems Cooler ₪ Asus P8P67 DELUXE ₪ G.Skill RipJawsX 8GB DDR3 1600MHz ₪ Crossfire 5870's ₪ OCZ GameXstream 850w ₪ X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS edition ₪ OCZ Vertex 3 120GB ₪ Antec P182 ₪ NAS ReadyDuo 4Tb ₪ BenQ FP241WZ 24" Widescreen LCD ₪ Windows 7 x64
Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:55 AM   #23
In Runtime

Sometimes it is better to die than to live. Better for you and for the people around you...
Doombringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:17 AM   #24
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to superman22x Send a message via Yahoo to superman22x

Quote:
Sort of. That's why it has to be under fairly strict laws like Oregon has. They have had it for 10 years, and havent had a problem with it. More people in Oregon die in their homes with their family then any other state.

Although, it is possible that the family could pressure the sick person into pulling their own plug for financial reasons. This is where big problems could occur...
Old 01-13-2009, 08:19 AM   #25
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doombringer View Post
Sometimes it is better to die than to live. Better for you and for the people around you...
I'd die for my country. No matter if we are up against USA or whatever, I'll be there.
StratosP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:04 AM   #26
Daemon Poster

Quote:
I'm sure from a legal standpoint it could be viewed like that but if they have STRICT laws about it I'm sure it can be accepted. For example if the family also agrees with the persons requests. I know if we had the option I wouldn't want one of my loved ones suffering for that last couple days or months. A lot of people don't have personal experience with seeing a close family member die in this way so some people don't know what its like to see someone suffer the way people with severely terminal diseases suffer. My father died of cancer and it was terrible the last couple of weeks seeing him suffer and watching his body deteriorate right in front of you. If they had that option and he would have wanted to do it than I would have let him do it. I mean in most of these cases its only a matter of time before they die and in the latter stages of these diseases even if they come up with some miracle drug to cure the disease at the point they're at its already too late. Do you really want your last memories of a family member in total agony and completely unresponsive?
Raidmax Smilodon Extreme Black Case -|-AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE @ 3829.50 Mhz (18.5 x 207, vcore 1.424, NB 2600 mhz, HT link 2200 mhz) -|- Xigmatek Dark Knight S1283V -|- Gigabyte MA790XT-UD4P Mobo -|- G. Skill 6Gb (3 x 2Gb) DDR3 1333 RAM 7-7-7-18-2t -|- WD Caviar 7200 RPM 1 TB HDD -|- OCZ GameXtreme 700W -|- Radeon 4870 1Gb @ 780/1050 -|- Asus VW202NR 20" wide-screen -|- Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit -|- Saitek Cyborg Keyboard -|- Razer Lachesis Mouse
PokerDegenerate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:28 PM   #27
Daemon Poster

I don't know what the legality of assisted suicide in Alabama is..don't really know what my stance on it is either. I suppose I'm on the fence.

One thing I learned as a first responder though is that alot of people who have had strokes, past heart attacks and terminal illnesses and so forth, often have Advance Directives (aka, living wills) like if they're unconscious or go into a non-medical induced coma they often have DNR Orders (Do Not Resuscitate) and don't want to have CPR/AEDs used on them should they go into cardiac/respiratory arrest.
Ahyoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:41 PM   #28
Daemon Poster

I know the Swiss have been doing it legally for awhile now. I read recently that a terminally ill teenage boy from the U.K. went to Switzerland with his parents and well...
Old 01-13-2009, 07:08 PM   #29
Guru

I suppose it should be legal if you really want to die. I like to think there's always a chance of something against all odds happening. Consequently, I wouldn't be able to choose my death unless the pain is excruciating.
JogaBonito1502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:16 PM   #30
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to superman22x Send a message via Yahoo to superman22x

Being a Diabetic, I have the 5th deadliest disease in the world. So I would kind of like a law like this... I know that I would hate being in a hospital bed for weeks on end, with no chance of leaving it. Save my family money, and a lot of pain, and pull the plug...