Ardino or Stamp

setishock

Wizard of Wires
As far as programming goes I haven't got a clue. The nuts and bolts of how they both work and how to connect them to the outside world I already know.
But as far as ease of programming, which one?

I'd go with an Arduino. A lot more users out there, so there's a lot more support/tutorials available.

It's pretty easy to write code for the Arduino - It's a C based-ish language. Not sure about the BASIC Stamp (although if it runs BASIC it can't too hard).

As far as ease, Arduino. It is specifically designed to be easy for people just starting out.

The next step is to figure out which Arduino you would like to use. For that I would check out SparkFun's Arduino buying guide.

Last edited:
I go the other way around.

if you don't know how to program either, PIC Basic is going to be a lot easier to learn than the Arduino C style Language.

on the other hand, there is a bigger arduino userbase, and many more examples/libraries. -so even though it's probably technically harder, it's probably going to be easier to learn because there are greater resources.

the basic stamp is pretty much it's own thing, whilst the arduino already has a heap of different revisions etc.
what this means is that when you find that you don't have enough I/O or the chip isn't fast enough you're going to have to perhaps link multiple chips together using some kind of bus, whilst with the arduino, you can simply port your code as is from the arduino uno to the arduino mega...

All in all, different strokes for different folks, if you have a single application, and that's all you want, basic stamp is probably an easier language, and probably cheaper.
if you want to learn something new or you learn by example well and create lots of things, the the arduino is probably the better bet, if only for the bigger eco system.

Physical size, power requirements, and weight also have to be factored in. The bird I have in mind to test this on can only lift 58 grams payload. When debugged and stable then it'll go on a larger airframe.

I go the other way around.

if you don't know how to program either, PIC Basic is going to be a lot easier to learn than the Arduino C style Language. [omitted]

In a way I agree. I kind of wish I knew the C level part of it. (not Arduino C)

Physical size, power requirements, and weight also have to be factored in. The bird I have in mind to test this on can only lift 58 grams payload. When debugged and stable then it'll go on a larger airframe.
There are many different form factors. For example, if tiny is your goal check out the Teensy.
It's 1.4 by 0.7 inches. Image for size comparison
It can also be used with the Arduino IDE.

Another thing to consider is that arduino is an open source code, so you can program it onto your own microcontroller if you want. This way, you can use one of the standard arduino boards for development, then put the same code on a dedicated controller to go in whatever project you're working on. As far as I know this is not the case with basic stamp.

I've been playing around with the picaxe simulator. The low end is only $2.99 a pop from sparkfun. And they have all the goodies to build what I have in mind.

Back
Top Bottom