Apple vs Windows vs Linux - READ OP BEFORE POST -

I don't want to argue on this thread ( I want to ) but he said not to so Im going to stop guys.

Couterpoints:
price
reliability ( in my use with one It completely failed me and I tossed it out a window)
compatibility ( practically non existent)
Hardware is not even commonplace ( firewire and miniDVI)
NO UPGRADING
Products (applications) are not as good as 3 party developers tools.
little to no good compilers.
no gaming.
Have to use Virtualization of a windows OS to gain appeal.
and if you were going to hire a new employee out of the two in the commercial who would you pick?

Mac's are as upgradeable as any other computer.

1) Why is price an option? I can also complain about the price of Sony Vaio laptops. Way overpriced for a Windows based machine. Every company will charge more than what their products are worth. It's called a markup and they need it to survive.
2) You're generalizing every Apply computer to be unreliable because you had a single bad experience? I've had a ton of Dells, HPs, Acer laptops fail on customers. You're bound to get a dud eventually. I don't know any product that is perfect.
3) Compatibility? You're kidding, right? Just about every program out on Windows is out on Mac except for games. They also run equally if not better to their Window counterparts on higher end hardware.
4) Hardware is not even commonplace, hmm. Firewire isn't limited just to Mac's. It's faster than USB, why isn't it used more often? It just never caught on. I don't see a bunch of DP on many computers yet Dell makes a good amount of those monitors.
5) No upgrading? I have upgraded Mac's before. It's easy if you know how just like any Windows laptop.
6) I'm just going to skip the applications and compilers comment. It's what Mac's are pretty much made for. That speaks for itself.
7) No gaming? I highly doubt people buy Mac's to game in the first place. They are meant for editing and graphical work not hardcore gaming.
8) Apple uses VM to gain appeal? No, it's to provide comfort in being able to switch between the two systems and get work done on whichever one the consumer prefers.

Have you seen the quality on Macbook's? They are built extremely well. None of the crappy, cheap plastic used by many companies. Most Window's based laptops are cheaper because they use crap parts. That's why they break down easily. Have you ever used Apple's customer service? It's absolutely amazing. It's non-existent in these other companies.

The thing that Windows has over Linux is that you can download a program...double click it..and it WILL install. On linux it can take sooo long to install a program because you usually need to d/l dependencies and all that b/s. That is one thing that pisses me off with Linux and one of the main reasons I stopped using it.
I disagree. On linux, you can open up your package manager, select your application, and it will install. (Granted there are sometimes issues, but the same applies to windows exe's. So I'm using your same rather liberal definition of "will" here!) If you find your self checking and installing dependencies by hand for every application and you're not using an OS more than a few years old, then you're doing something wrong...

On linux, you can also upgrade all your installed packages by pressing one button. Try that on windows. If something isn't in the package manager file there's SUSE's 1 click installs these days which are arguably simpler than downloading windows exe's. Oh, and I very rarely feel the need to reboot, whereas every other windows install wants to waste a few minutes of my life doing just that.

If windows was free how many less people would use linux?
Perhaps not as many as you think. Granted there's some out there that are probably just using it because it's free, but there's MANY people that are using it and not bothered about cost - either because they'll have no qualms using a pirate version of windows or they get it for free (legally) anyway. I'm in the latter category! :)

That's why 99% of people who hate Mac's don't have any counterpoints except price.
But perhaps for 99% of people that hate macs, price is what matters to them! Granted this statement can be made out of hand and without people checking the facts and it is often exaggerated - but I stand by the fact that in terms of price : performance, macs just don't come out on top... and there's no getting away from the fact that for a lot of people, that will be the make or break point.

I disagree. On linux, you can open up your package manager, select your application, and it will install.

And if it not in your package?
You are looking for a program to do something...you search google...find a program that sounds good...decide you want to do a quick install and trial the program ...EASY on windows...On linux?..noooooooooooooooooooooooooooot

Perhaps not as many as you think. Granted there's some out there that are probably just using it because it's free, but there's MANY people that are using it and not bothered about cost - either because they'll have no qualms using a pirate version of windows or they get it for free (legally) anyway. I'm in the latter category! :)

A lot of the people who whinge and sook that microsoft bring out a new windows o/s too often are the same people who install every new version and package of linux. Why ? because it costs them nothing...why aren't they whining that there is too many versions of linux? because it is free.

And if it not in your package?
Again, in the past I would've completely accepted this as a valid reason. These days though, unless you're doing something really special or different you're unlikely to repeatedly and continuously come across that situation, if at all. Some examples of said applications would be good here - I'm genuinally interested as to what sort of applications you need to install that aren't (and have no viable alternative) in package managers. If so (and in fairness I can think of a couple of things, I'm just not sure this is the case here) then fair enough - linux isn't for you. But that doesn't mean it's not for anyone else either ;)

You are looking for a program to do something...you search google...find a program that sounds good...decide you want to do a quick install and trial the program ...EASY on windows...On linux?..noooooooooooooooooooooooooooot
Actually, yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees I find it is rather easy on linux. Usually I'll just pop in "linux" into google along with a description of an application and I'll find one to suit my needs. Again, what sort of applications are you struggling to find on linux?

A lot of the people who whinge and sook that microsoft bring out a new windows o/s too often are the same people who install every new version and package of linux. Why ? because it costs them nothing...why aren't they whining that there is too many versions of linux? because it is free.
Again, you're focusing on *just* the free part of what is quite a broad category of advantages. Generally the support cycle for linux distributions is longer (a massive advantage to some people) and as such each new version of linux doesn't necessarily start to signal the death of the old one as it does with windows. Heck, the 2.4 kernel was still used long after they brought out 2.6! There's also the fact that for some distributions the upgrade is nigh on seemless - Gentoo for example. An up to date 2004 system is exactly the same as an up to date 2009 system, the OS is literally just its component parts. And the fact that if an upgrade breaks something, there's every chance the competent programmer can go into the source, fix it and recompile it on the spot without having to wait for the fix to go through a full release cycle. And because of the type of user base linux has, the turnarounds for bugs are generally far quicker too...

I'm not saying the "free" part isn't an advantage to linux, for lots of people it is and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. What I completely disagree with though is your implication that the *only* advantage to linux is its lack of cost - to me that seems to be quite a narrow and simplistic viewpoint.

personally i hate mac os just doesnt roll with me
(i love iphones tho nothing to do with it being "apple"
but for my computer i loved xp and and i love windows 7
i like all the support and i love the games :p
linux is fun to play around with but im not an amazing coder so
my only use is for under powered pc or to mess around
and like i said before mac os i just dont like it not for me

Back
Top Bottom