Anyone play Eve Online

jmacavali

Fully Optimized
I don't, but have played my share of MMO's with PVP. This would have been awesome to be a part of.

http://mashable.com/2013/01/28/eve-online-asakai/

Reports from Reddit and EVE bloggers indicate the fray was sparked when the pilot of a titan ship (the most expensive class in the game) prematurely jumped into enemy space, rather than warp allies to his location (a technique known as "bridging"). A lone titan in "low security" space is like blood in the water, and players from multiple factions rushed in, with reinforcements piling on to attack and defend.
It was an accidental click...can you image what they dude must have said...trying to warp some friends to him to hang out with and all of sudden 3,000+ players are in a free-for-all battle. If you've ever played an MMO you can image what the flaming in the chat was like and how awesome this would have been.

Besides the far-reaching in-game political implications of this battle (which are a bit too "inside baseball" for this publication), the spat has intrigued the Internet for a few reasons. For one, capital and super capital ships like the titan class can take months for players to build. Amassing wealth in EVE's hyper-capitalist, living economy is a full-time job, and it can be traded (legitimately) for the game's real-life subscription fees. Thus, some players at the Asakai battle were risking and losing ships worth upwards of $1,000 (real dollars), and months of work.
:eek: Oh I just lost my $1000 ship...no biggy...:eek:

"We actually 'slow down time' so that all server calls happen in the right order and the fight becomes fair. If we didn't do that, the massive amount of data traveling back and forth might mean one side's modules and commands wouldn't go through, and all of a sudden it's just a game of flip-the-coin," Coker explains. "We didn't have any technical server issues, although we do kinda wish the fight was more planned (although that would take away some of the fun), so we could have put it on a dedicated node without ruining the fight. Time dilation kicked in, lots of ships were killed, and it was awesome."
What an awesome way to deal with lag, again you know how annoying it can be to deal with lag if you've ever played an MMO with PVP and you lose the fight because you lagged and he didn't. Cool that it actually worked too.

I just couldn't and still can't get my head around the gamer mentality. I could think of a lot more things to do with my hot rod computer, my time, and a grand in cash.

I played EVE on and off for about a year. i had about 200 hours in. i was only about 20% to getting one of them ships...

and that game is serious business lol

I haven't played Eve online but I like to play MMO and MMORPG type of games. It all for fun and until now I play games.

MMO - Massive Multiplayer Online game
MMORPG - Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game

Back
Top Bottom