Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 03-02-2008, 12:56 PM   #1
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Rubber314Chicken
Default another car question...

so my dad was saying he wants me to learn how to fix the cars and stuff... ie change the oil and what not. I know I'd need to have jack stands, a creeper and a jack to do that, but I'm not sure what I'd need as far as weight. I'm dealing with 3 cars, one sedan, and 2 minivans, the heaviest of these weights 2 and 1/4 tons. (4,500 lbs) so would I need the jack stands total to that weight or to each be rated for that weight. and the jack would need to be half that? because it is lifting half the car at a time?

I know how to change the oil, but I don't know about the drain plug.... is it a hex head? and what is the best thing to drain the oil into?

Old 03-02-2008, 01:26 PM   #2
Omnipotent One

Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster
Default Re: another car question...

All you really need is a basic two ton floor jack with associated jack stands. You can usually purchase them together in a single kit. You are correct in your assertion that you wont be lifting the entire weight of the vehicle. The best thing to use to drain the oil into is an oil change pan such as this: Oil Drain Pan. They make them that will contain the oil so that you can take it to a oil recycling center.

Most oil drain plugs are a standard 1/2" hex head. (12mm - 14mm)

Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 02:47 PM   #3
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
All you really need is a basic two ton floor jack with associated jack stands. You can usually purchase them together in a single kit. You are correct in your assertion that you wont be lifting the entire weight of the vehicle. The best thing to use to drain the oil into is an oil change pan such as this: Oil Drain Pan. They make them that will contain the oil so that you can take it to a oil recycling center.

Most oil drain plugs are a standard 1/2" hex head. (12mm - 14mm)
so I would want just 2 jack stands to do this, or 4?
Old 03-02-2008, 02:59 PM   #4
Fully Optimized

I just use a single jack stand when changing oil. I got a car low to the ground and i can still get under it with just one jack stand. If you need more clearance then 2 is ok, you don't need 4 for changing oil...the engine is in the front normally. I just use a piece of old carpet to lay on, not a creeper.
Jesusfrk611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 03:09 PM   #5
Omnipotent One

Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster

You need only two jack stands. One under either side of the vehicle.

I never liked to use only one as it twists the car in an odd way. Also make sure to set the parking brake and put a block or some other object against the rear wheels to help keep the car from moving while underneath it. Safety first!
Old 03-02-2008, 05:12 PM   #6
Golden Master

Send a message via Yahoo to Tommy Boy

Buy a set of steel ramps (not the crappy ones made out of structural foam) that you can drive up onto to get under the car, you should be able to pick them up at any auto parts store, or even walmart, not sure though. I have a pair and use them all the time when working underneath my car. I feel they are much safer than jackstands. Just put wheel chocks behind the wheels and set the parking brake and you'll be all set. Lifts the front or back end of the car plenty high enough to do whatever you need to do.

Don't use an adjustable wrench on the oil drain plug, they can slip and round off the head of the drain plug. Use a box end wrench to break it loose, then use the open end to take it out, when you get almost to the end of the threads on the drain plug, make sure you press on the drain plug until the threads are completely out, that way the oil doesn't come out all over your hands, then pull it away quickly and let the oil drain into the pan.

I still have the same old HP DV9700T laptop I've had for years...still kickin'
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 05:18 PM   #7
Omnipotent One

Ramps are another good idea. I forgot all about them things as I haven't used them in years.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:20 PM   #8
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
I never liked to use only one as it twists the car in an odd way.
That's what suspension is for... If you want to use 2, w/e, but you only need 1. It doesn't hurt the car anymore than 2 will.
Jesusfrk611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 05:23 PM   #9
Golden Master

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...egoryCode=3397

does that seem like a sturdy set? I don't wanna be spending to much, but at the same time I'd like to come out from under the car under my own power....
Old 03-02-2008, 05:32 PM   #10
Omnipotent One

I use a similar set. The jack isn't the greatest, but it works fine for general home use. The jack stands are sturdy and hold well.