Another ash cloud heading for the UK

Just had a look at flights in Scotland alot of cancellations.
Suppose it's all safety really but the UK makes me laugh the slightest bit of change in weather and everything seems to come to a freeze.

We just wish that this another round of eruptions will never be as big and destructive as the last one.

I saw in the paper today that flights are being canceled. Barcelona are playing manchester (Soccer) next saturday in the UK and Barcelona have traveled to the UK early to avoid being caught by cancelations

Just had a look at flights in Scotland alot of cancellations.
Suppose it's all safety really but the UK makes me laugh the slightest bit of change in weather and everything seems to come to a freeze.

I think you missunderstand just how much of a real issue these clouds of dust are. Jet engines are grand refined pieces of engineering, and will not tollerate these dust clouds at all. The silicates in the dust become motlen as it passes through the engine and coats the insides in a layer of glass. These play havoc with the engine.

Would you still be laughing if flight operators ignored their engineers warnings and a passenger plane carrying 300 people came down accross the Atlantic? A classical example of management decisions made while ignoring the safety issues pointed out by engineers was the launch of the Space Shuttle Challenger in 1986. It's used as an example throughout industry for obvious reasons.

I think you missunderstand just how much of a real issue these clouds of dust are. Jet engines are grand refined pieces of engineering, and will not tollerate these dust clouds at all. The silicates in the dust become motlen as it passes through the engine and coats the insides in a layer of glass. These play havoc with the engine.

This.

For certain things I agree, the fact everyone claims they're "snowed in" when there's a mm of snow on the ground is ridiculous. I can get around until it gets up to about a foot, and my vehicle's nothing special. Apart from those who live in the middle of nowhere with no 4x4, I see no reason for the fuss.

This however is a very different issue, we're not talking about the UK moaning, we're talking about jet engines in general (made by anyone) that can't safely fly through ash clouds without risking major damage to the engine. If we ignored that warning and just sent planes on their way anyway, I'm sure the outcome would be much worse. If this continues to happen often then it may well be that they need to be re-engineered to cope so they can fly through safely, but until we reach that point the situation will remain.

That Must Suck For Those In The UK!
I Wish they could just find a way to cork the volcano or something!

Wouldn't it be nice if they brought back the trans-atlantic liners? That would be impressive..... Just for a few years for the dust to settle :D get to see the Clyde used as it was back in it's former glory days......

That Must Suck For Those In The UK!
I Wish they could just find a way to cork the volcano or something!

Probably easier to put some sort of filter in / around the engine etc than to stop a volcano.

Obviously it isn't going to be an easy solution, as I assume the engine / propulsion relies on a certain intake of air, and the thickness / density of this stuff would be a problem.

Its tricky stuff, and theres nothing that attracts it either like magnetism etc.

This is quite a lay opinion as im not up on aero stuff!

Back
Top Bottom