Announcement: FREE college education

Tech Explorer

In Runtime
I'm big on education. Last year I watched a tv course on moral and economics philosophy given by a Harvard professor. Now I just read that free online college courses in a classroom setting are being offered by MIT and Harvard along with other major colleges and universities. The courses? A wide range which I expect to include computers, software and computer science. The catch? The only catch is you wouldn't receive college credits.

Here are two articles:

1) Harvard and MIT launch edX to offer free online classes - May. 2, 2012

2) http://mobile.nytimes.com/2012/05/0...-mit-team-up-to-offer-free-online-courses.xml

Last edited:
That's ridiculous. I get "learning just for the sake of learning". But these colleges are going to teach you the same thing they are going to teach their students but since you didn't pay, you don't get credit. If I'm going to go sit through one of these courses I'm going to pay so that at least I get credit. Seems silly otherwise....

Not to be disagreeable, but over 220,000 people have found it worth their while to enroll in courses on electronics, circuits and machine learning. So this does have value for them.

Not to be disagreeable, but over 220,000 people have found it worth their while to enroll in courses on electronics, circuits and machine learning. So this does have value for them.

But in those cases, they have paid and get credit for them.

But in those cases, they have paid and get credit for them.

Hate to disagree here, but the first article explicitly says the machine learning course was free while implying that no credit was offered; the article also implies the circuits and electronics courses were also done for free with no credit offered. This is because EdX and similar organizations are already funded for this.

Back
Top Bottom