American Road Trip

ssc456

Fully Optimized
Hey Guys,

Just in the early thought process of an american road trip.
Probably not until next year but i'm thinking of buggering off from work for a month and i'd like to fly over to america, not sure where yet but when i land see if i can rent a campervan and just drive myself out there to go on a month long travel of the states, see how much i can see and how much i can get done.

I've had a quick look in the old Google and it looks like $2,200 is about the price i'm getting for a month long campervan rental, does this sound about right or is this the "tourist price"?

Also i'm never going to be able to cover the whole of the USA in a month, not even half of it, so any tips as to what part of it is good to head for?

I'm much more interested in animals / wild life and pretty scenery than i am big impressive cities, not that the likes of New York and Las Vegas don't interest me just i'd rather "the great outdoors".

Then you would be planning your trips to the National Parks which is mostly in Northern states. Niagara Falls would be up there too.

Then you wouldn't want to pass up the Grand Canyon which is down south. :)

Last edited:
Hey Guys,

Just in the early thought process of an american road trip.
Probably not until next year but i'm thinking of buggering off from work for a month and i'd like to fly over to america, not sure where yet but when i land see if i can rent a campervan and just drive myself out there to go on a month long travel of the states, see how much i can see and how much i can get done.

I've had a quick look in the old Google and it looks like $2,200 is about the price i'm getting for a month long campervan rental, does this sound about right or is this the "tourist price"?

Also i'm never going to be able to cover the whole of the USA in a month, not even half of it, so any tips as to what part of it is good to head for?

I'm much more interested in animals / wild life and pretty scenery than i am big impressive cities, not that the likes of New York and Las Vegas don't interest me just i'd rather "the great outdoors".
1st question, are you taking your wife? 2ndly, like celery said there are things like Niagara falls, but personally I would travel more towards the grand canyon and Yellowstone national park, and the Colorado mountains etc. So like between Colorado and California would be some great states and sceneries to visit. If you do go north, NE Michigan is beautiful, and visit me LOL.

Well here in the colonies we do things differently from our European brothers and sisters.

It would all depend on where you plan on coming in at, ssc456. East coast, West coast, Texas, mid-West, Northeast.

Here in the southern US you have the Great Smoky Mountains and the Appalachian Trail, Savannah (Georgia), the Florida coasts, Stone Mountain (Georgia), Gulf Shores (Alabama), Jack Daniels Distillery (Tennessee) ;), the Carolina coast, and flat out awesome food. :D

Oh yeah the laser show at Stone Mountain Park is worth every dime of admission. I'm from Atlanta and went for a few summers. Gulf Shores is really really nice year round.
Bush Gardens in Florida is pretty cool. The Coors plant in Colorado is fun. They have a tour that ends in fresh brewed beer samples. Lay you to waste if you're not a beer drinker.

The weather gets crazy this time of year as the seasons change. Plan ahead weather wise or you might be playing tourist in some really nasty weather.

A couple of years ago I took a 2 week road trip with my family and we managed to hit 8 western states and visit Death Valley, the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone and take a jet boat trip up the Rogue River in Oregon. 2 weeks was kind of rushed to do what we did as we would have liked to spend more time exploring the various places we went.

With a month you could do a similar trip and be able to spend more time in each place. You could also add in a visit to Yosemite and possibly the Lake Tahoe area.

As Seti said, plan ahead weather wise. For instance, you wouldn't want to go to Death Valley during the summer months as the temps can hit 120 degrees F or higher. Much of Yellowstone is inaccessible before the month of May and the spring thaw.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom