Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-19-2013, 05:47 PM   #1
Daemon Poster

Default AMD released 5ghz, 8 core FX-9590

AMD Unleashes 5GHz, 8-Core Desktop Monster | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

I beleive we've been waiting 11 years, still no sign of the leading compeditor, 10ghz Pentium 4...

aPanzerIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:16 PM   #2
Omnicide now.

Default Re: AMD released 5ghz, 8 core FX-9590

So it's less powerful than a stock 4770k, has a 220w TDP (!), has little overclocking headroom, and costs $900? What the hell happened to AMD lately? Their new low-power stuff is great, but it seems they're not even trying when it comes to the higher-end market.

foothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 02:16 AM   #3
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by foothead View Post
So it's less powerful than a stock 4770k, has a 220w TDP (!), has little overclocking headroom, and costs $900? What the hell happened to AMD lately? Their new low-power stuff is great, but it seems they're not even trying when it comes to the higher-end market.
We've known the new FX series had less hp per clock than the Phenom series, Intel had this problem with Pentium 4. It just goes to show if you don't learn from someone else's mistakes then you will repeat it. And now isn't the best time for amd to be having these problems seeing they're less competative and in more financial struggles than Intel was in 11 years ago. I see bad things coming to AMD if they don't find how to get things straightened out.
aPanzerIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:05 AM   #4
Wizard of Wires

You won't be able to buy the chip at first anyway. Looks like they're going to be targeting a nitch market at first.
Any way what would a desktop or a laptop for that matter need that kind of power? Let's skip discussion about gamers. We already know they would run right out and buy them.
What would a normal day to day user need that for?
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:48 AM   #5
Fully Optimized

I wonder how many people are currently running the 8350 at 5GHz already.

Keep in mind that the 9590 runs at 4.7 stock and turbos up to 5GHz.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:47 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by foothead View Post
They're *trying* alright, they're just not succeeding very well - their new architecture was pretty dated even before it was released, and now they're trying ridiculous clock speeds to grab marketing attention. They'll probably find some benchmarks where their chip does a bit better than a 4770k and try and throw them out - but it really does smell of desperation.

Quote:
What would a normal day to day user need that for?
This chip isn't aimed at day to day users, hence the price point and the niche market AMD are going for. However, my i5 is regularly maxed out on my machine through x264 encoding (try re-encoding a game of thrones blu-ray series on x264's "veryslow" setting. It takes about a week - if I was to upgrade the CPU it would be to cut down on these times!)