Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-06-2008, 05:30 PM   #1
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to esa193
Default amd having a bad time =[

Advanced Micro Devices needs to more than double its share of the microprocessor market to survive, according to a brief filed by the company's lawyers in its antitrust lawsuit against Intel.

At the end of 2007, AMD had 13 percent of the processor market, "less than half of what it requires to operate long-term as a sustainable business," the brief said, explaining that Intel's alleged efforts to shut the company out of the processor business had largely succeeded.

"Measured on a revenue share basis, AMD made little progress growing its slice of the pie," it said.

The argument that Intel's alleged anti-competitive behavior has so hurt AMD that its future is in jeopardy is crucial to the company's claims for relief, including damages. But the claims could further spook corporate customers already wary of the company's financial troubles.

Companies generally make computer purchasing decisions with a long-term view and plan to use and purchase similar systems for many years to come. Fresh concerns about AMD's long-term sustainability coupled with existing worries about the company's fiscal health -- weakened by the delayed release of its Quad-Core Opteron processor and mounting long-term debt-- could lead CIOs to consider computers based on Intel's chips instead.

"It will push them in the other direction," said Rajnish Arora, director of enterprise server and workstation research at IDC Asia-Pacific.

AMD's brief was heavily redacted by the court and details of Intel's alleged anti-competitive behavior and its relationship with major computer makers were largely blacked out. But the general thrust of AMD's argument was clear: Intel allegedly paid computer makers to rely exclusively, or almost exclusively, on its chips.

The effect of these and other alleged tactics employed by Intel outweighed gains that AMD made with its successful line of Opteron server chips, which came out in 2003.

"That AMD gained some share and revenue is immaterial. It gained sufficiently less share and sufficiently less revenue so as to suffer a critical diminishment of its innovation roadmap," the brief said.

AMD's concerns about its future are legitimate, IDC's Arora said, underscoring the capital intensive nature and short product cycles of the processor business. "They are going to be challenged. They need to grow the business and scale it up," he said.

The key for AMD is to generate strong end user demand for its processors, which will in turn mean more computer makers will sell systems based on its chips. "It's all driven by customer demand," Arora said.

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...o_survive.html

all i can say is.... sucks for amd =[

MacArthur wrestling pwns!
esa193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 05:38 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to FlightSimBoy
Default Re: amd having a bad time =[

Thats not too good. Is ATi still it's own company, or did AMD buy it out completely? I hope ATi is still separate...

But it really sucks, because I want to see what they are gonna do with their Phenom line of processors. I wonder if they can get the 45nm ones out before they crash completely. Hell, if AMD goes bye-bye, then what are people who want to build budget PCs gonna do?

Maybe the 45nm Phenoms will give them the boost they need to stay in, maybe not. All I can say is good luck, AMD

My Computer: eMachines T5226 - Intel Pentium D Dual Core @ 3 GHz - Diamond Viper Radeon HD3870 OC Edition with 1 GB GDDR3 VRAM - 4 GB PQi Turbo DDR2-533 RAM - Corsair 650W PSU with 52A on single rail - TSSTcorp DVD-DL+-RW combo drive - Lite-on 52x CD-RW burner - Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi XtremeGamer - Logitech z5300e speakers - WinFast TV Tuner - Vista Ultimate 64-Bit. eBay name: Flightsimboy304
FlightSimBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 05:44 PM   #3
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Rubber314Chicken

I like AMD. the phantom processors look great, and are up there with the high end core 2 quad processors, od the quad core extreme, or whatever intel calls them

I'm still using 939, but its a really fast processor.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:12 PM   #4
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to NEED WOW NOW

I was board and I decided to come here and check back a bit to find a AMD in distress thread!!!

The only reason Intel is really "Popular" is because of their amount of money that goes to advertising.
When was the last time you saw an AMD commercial on TV?
I haven't seen any!

There are other reasons why AMD is losing, but I believe that this is one of their biggest flaws.

After all, someone who is looking to buy a new computer goes around looking for that brand they saw on TV that has that neat little saying "Intel Inside".
For non-computer educated people, there not going to go with a brand that they never heard anything about.

How many people think that AMD could increase sales if they had some advertisement? Just look at the Athlon X2's, its 90 bucks, 2.5Ghz, with a TDP of 45 watts!!!
And yet I just checked and intel has to be crap and have the dam wolfdale CPU's. 3Mb L2, 2.53Ghz, and 65Watt!

Intel says its not competitive
Quote:
The argument that Intel's alleged anti-competitive behavior has so hurt AMD that its future is in jeopardy is crucial to the company's claims for relief, including damages. But the claims could further spook corporate customers already wary of the company's financial troubles.
The thing is, Intel has too much money to notice its producing things so fast its being competitive.

I still say AMD FTW!
NEED WOW NOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 06:31 PM   #5
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to esa193

amd just got cpus that are equal to intel preformance wise.....and intel has new cpus coming out at the end of the summer

MacArthur wrestling pwns!
esa193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 06:59 PM   #6
Golden Master

Quote:
Just look at the Athlon X2's, its 90 bucks, 2.5Ghz, with a TDP of 45 watts!!!
And yet I just checked and intel has to be crap and have the dam wolfdale CPU's. 3Mb L2, 2.53Ghz, and 65Watt!
Check AMD's mobile line. What a joke.

Send comments, suggestions and criticisms.
↳ 01001010listens@gmail.com
01001010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 07:25 PM   #7
BSOD

im not really a supporter of amd, I have had some bad luck with both their sockets and their processors
..Gunpo1nt.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:56 PM   #8
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to Illmatic

I invested in Intel >.>
Old 05-06-2008, 09:24 PM   #9
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to culexor

im still an amd fanboy. i hate to say that i must agree that intel has better multi core cpus (even though amds single cores are almost extinct, but back in the day, amds singles were amazing). the phenom series could be much better, and it came out way to late. amd is screwed, and im beginning to believe that the pc market will be slimmed down to intel and nvidia, bye bye amd and ati. (im an nvidia person but its still sad to see atis cheaper cards go away)

Laptop: i5 430M 2.26Ghz, 4GB DDR3 1066, 500GB WD Blue, Mobility Radeon HD 5650 1GB (discrete)
culexor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:38 PM   #10
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to Kage

I agree with what Need Wow Now said over the fact of uneducated people just buying what they see around the most. Its very true.
Intel advertises more, and with advertisers like PC World advertising only Intel it seems, with the Intel Inside logo, and the weird melody that goes along with it, its no wonder people are choosing them.

I chose Intel for this, and my brothers build, because they offered the best for me at the time.

Might that change on my next build? Maybe.

But yeah, more advertising, and a jingle of some sort would do them wonders, haha.

(Imagines the Halfiax singing advert)