amd having a bad time =[

esa193

Fully Optimized
Advanced Micro Devices needs to more than double its share of the microprocessor market to survive, according to a brief filed by the company's lawyers in its antitrust lawsuit against Intel.

At the end of 2007, AMD had 13 percent of the processor market, "less than half of what it requires to operate long-term as a sustainable business," the brief said, explaining that Intel's alleged efforts to shut the company out of the processor business had largely succeeded.

"Measured on a revenue share basis, AMD made little progress growing its slice of the pie," it said.

The argument that Intel's alleged anti-competitive behavior has so hurt AMD that its future is in jeopardy is crucial to the company's claims for relief, including damages. But the claims could further spook corporate customers already wary of the company's financial troubles.

Companies generally make computer purchasing decisions with a long-term view and plan to use and purchase similar systems for many years to come. Fresh concerns about AMD's long-term sustainability coupled with existing worries about the company's fiscal health -- weakened by the delayed release of its Quad-Core Opteron processor and mounting long-term debt-- could lead CIOs to consider computers based on Intel's chips instead.

"It will push them in the other direction," said Rajnish Arora, director of enterprise server and workstation research at IDC Asia-Pacific.

AMD's brief was heavily redacted by the court and details of Intel's alleged anti-competitive behavior and its relationship with major computer makers were largely blacked out. But the general thrust of AMD's argument was clear: Intel allegedly paid computer makers to rely exclusively, or almost exclusively, on its chips.

The effect of these and other alleged tactics employed by Intel outweighed gains that AMD made with its successful line of Opteron server chips, which came out in 2003.

"That AMD gained some share and revenue is immaterial. It gained sufficiently less share and sufficiently less revenue so as to suffer a critical diminishment of its innovation roadmap," the brief said.

AMD's concerns about its future are legitimate, IDC's Arora said, underscoring the capital intensive nature and short product cycles of the processor business. "They are going to be challenged. They need to grow the business and scale it up," he said.

The key for AMD is to generate strong end user demand for its processors, which will in turn mean more computer makers will sell systems based on its chips. "It's all driven by customer demand," Arora said.

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscent...double_processor_market_share_to_survive.html

all i can say is.... sucks for amd =[

Thats not too good. Is ATi still it's own company, or did AMD buy it out completely? I hope ATi is still separate...

But it really sucks, because I want to see what they are gonna do with their Phenom line of processors. I wonder if they can get the 45nm ones out before they crash completely. Hell, if AMD goes bye-bye, then what are people who want to build budget PCs gonna do?

Maybe the 45nm Phenoms will give them the boost they need to stay in, maybe not. All I can say is good luck, AMD

I like AMD. the phantom processors look great, and are up there with the high end core 2 quad processors, od the quad core extreme, or whatever intel calls them

I'm still using 939, but its a really fast processor.

I was board and I decided to come here and check back a bit to find a AMD in distress thread!!!

The only reason Intel is really "Popular" is because of their amount of money that goes to advertising.
When was the last time you saw an AMD commercial on TV?
I haven't seen any!

There are other reasons why AMD is losing, but I believe that this is one of their biggest flaws.

After all, someone who is looking to buy a new computer goes around looking for that brand they saw on TV that has that neat little saying "Intel Inside".
For non-computer educated people, there not going to go with a brand that they never heard anything about.

How many people think that AMD could increase sales if they had some advertisement? Just look at the Athlon X2's, its 90 bucks, 2.5Ghz, with a TDP of 45 watts!!!
And yet I just checked and intel has to be crap and have the dam wolfdale CPU's. 3Mb L2, 2.53Ghz, and 65Watt!

Intel says its not competitive
The argument that Intel's alleged anti-competitive behavior has so hurt AMD that its future is in jeopardy is crucial to the company's claims for relief, including damages. But the claims could further spook corporate customers already wary of the company's financial troubles.
The thing is, Intel has too much money to notice its producing things so fast its being competitive.

I still say AMD FTW!

amd just got cpus that are equal to intel preformance wise.....and intel has new cpus coming out at the end of the summer

Just look at the Athlon X2's, its 90 bucks, 2.5Ghz, with a TDP of 45 watts!!!
And yet I just checked and intel has to be crap and have the dam wolfdale CPU's. 3Mb L2, 2.53Ghz, and 65Watt!

Check AMD's mobile line. What a joke.

im still an amd fanboy. i hate to say that i must agree that intel has better multi core cpus (even though amds single cores are almost extinct, but back in the day, amds singles were amazing). the phenom series could be much better, and it came out way to late. amd is screwed, and im beginning to believe that the pc market will be slimmed down to intel and nvidia, bye bye amd and ati. (im an nvidia person but its still sad to see atis cheaper cards go away) :(

I agree with what Need Wow Now said over the fact of uneducated people just buying what they see around the most. Its very true.
Intel advertises more, and with advertisers like PC World advertising only Intel it seems, with the Intel Inside logo, and the weird melody that goes along with it, its no wonder people are choosing them.

I chose Intel for this, and my brothers build, because they offered the best for me at the time.

Might that change on my next build? Maybe.

But yeah, more advertising, and a jingle of some sort would do them wonders, haha.

(Imagines the Halfiax singing advert)

Back
Top Bottom