All Things Apple

They are really starting to get up there in performance, aren't they?

And it also seems that prices are dropping.

They are really starting to get up there in performance, aren't they?

And it also seems that prices are dropping.

Seems so.

Not really sure how I feel about the upgrades. I'm a bit disappointed they took out the ExpressCard slot in for a SD card reader on the MacBook Pro 15". That's almost like loosing a hand and gaining three fingers in its place. You can always get a SD card reader for the ExpressCard slot, but not the other way around. Luckily I have my 2007 MacBook, which still supports my wireless adapters. Not sure how it'll fare via USB.

Apple today updated its 13" aluminum MacBook, rebranding the model as part of its MacBook Pro line. The new model offers the same non-user-replaceable battery found in the 17" MacBook Pro and adds a FireWire 800 port and an SD card slot. Pricing begins at $1199, a $100 drop over the previous entry-level price point, and all models include backlit keyboard.
http://www.macrumors.com/

The nonremovable battery also hurts. I can let it slide for a mobile phone, but not for a notebook. I always carry more than one battery when I'm traveling. MacBook Pro 13" users should be happy though. They really went all out on that model.

Apple today released a revamped version of the 15" MacBook Pro. The new model incorporates the same non-user-replaceable battery found in the 17" MacBook Pro and offers up to seven hours of runtime and up to 1000 charge cycles. Apple has also replaced the ExpressCard slot found in the previous model with an SD card slot and improved the display quality. Pricing starts at $1699, a $300 reduction from the previous entry-level model, and the new models are shipping today.
That's a bit sneaky, leaving out dedicated graphics on the baseline 15". Without it, it's just like a bigger MacBook. They're really starting to blur the line between their model lines by adding more consumer features. I think this quote sums it up best.

The Captain said:
Not good again. Basically apple decided to shaft the video "pro" market once again by making a beefed up consumer model their "pro" line. So they got firewire back on the smaller one, but the 15-inch lost the express slot and now has just 1 firewire slot and no way possible to expand that now. I was just on a conference call this morning about a shoot next week, and we need to take a fw400 cable from a camera, to the mac, and write off to a a firewire 800 drive. Well thanks apple for making sure that the new way of production being done on set must be done with a laptop 2 generations old. Oh I mean sure I guess I could lug around the 17-inch, but that's a desktop replacement, not a true laptop, and not nearly as convenient to use as my old 15 that has all the connection I need. Looks like no new laptop for ma again!

http://www.macrumors.com/

Didn't they say they weren't going to make netbooks? I guess it had to happen though.

Back
Top Bottom