Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-10-2006, 10:22 PM   #21
BSOD
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 7,539
Send a message via AIM to Trivium Nate
Default Re: Alaskan Pipeline shutdown

Were Doomed
__________________

Trivium Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 10:28 PM   #22
Golden Master
 
ArrizX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 16,073
Send a message via MSN to ArrizX
Default Re: Alaskan Pipeline shutdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectSK
Well I was just watching the history channel, and they were doing a show about alternative fuels. It turns out that hydrogen is derived from 90-95% natural gas, which is a fossil fuel. It's not like even if we switch to hydrogen powered cars, its gonna solve anything. We still need to tackle global warming. Someone think of a way to get hydrogen without using natural gas!!

Get this. Some major plan has to happen with in the next 10 years of global warming, or else its too late.

ALSO.. People are talking and saying that this pipeline thing is a push from Bush to get the Alaskan fields open for oil.

Im researching the two different topics as we speak. Ill notify if anything shows.
__________________

__________________
. ()()()()
./l ,[_\_\ ],
l---L ()lllllll()-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
ArrizX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 11:06 PM   #23
Golden Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,091
Default Re: Alaskan Pipeline shutdown

Hey, repect the invironement by not wasting resources. Get a solar powered car or something.

Or, use public transportation. If you want the Kyoto protocol to take effect, it's definately a must for us to actually do something. Just, don't sit around saying "Oh no! It's too hard...lolz!"

That way, WE are consuming more than half our grand parents consumed.
When the WWI was in action, there was rationalization, where they actually ate ALL of the food and left overs. Nothing had to be wasted. They even took the chicken bones and made a broth out of it. Seriously, look on how much wasting and people being consuming a lot. I ride a bike, try not to waste and of course, the weakness is electricity.

We definately need some other power source and actually reduce our consomation in everyday life. Hard and harsh, but that's the way grand parents did it. I don't remember when it ended, but I don't think Maurice was in that. But, my grand parents (All four, now deceaced) were in it.

Think of the Earth and us just over consuming.
lhuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 11:47 PM   #24
Golden Master
 
ArrizX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 16,073
Send a message via MSN to ArrizX
Default Re: Alaskan Pipeline shutdown

Well, I wouldnt mind to terribly much assuming of course we had electricty, and some of the nicer ammenties we have today.

However I could deal with having to ride a bike by law for a certain number of miles and over that number you could drive X type car, and to do some type of work, you got to rent X type truck. Just little things like that can help alot.

Along with tigher restrictions for vehicel emmisions in 3rd world contries, but we all know nothing of this sort will happen.
__________________
. ()()()()
./l ,[_\_\ ],
l---L ()lllllll()-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
ArrizX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 11:59 PM   #25
Fully Optimized
 
troy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 2,410
Default Re: Alaskan Pipeline shutdown

I think that global warming thing could and probably will get worse in the next decade. I think that if we find some alternative fuels for vehicles, that will help drastically but of course there are cons to the alternatives that I've read about which are:
Solar power- not everywhere gets a lot of sunshine, solar panels can be pricey.
Hybrid- Batteries need to be replaced, they don't last forever. I've also read that the gas milage improvement is great on some, but not so great on other vehicles such as SUV's and trucks. I've also read about some performance sacrifices.
Hydrogen- I've read it can be costly and it might have some performance sacrifices. I've also heard about the possibility of flammable gasses coming out of the exhaust pipes but i'm not sure if it's true or not.
Electricity- Would be good if we could get a vehicle to go fast, and at the same time not have to recharge every 200 miles or something.

There are probably more alternatives but those are the ones I know about so far.

I would like to see a car run on some sort of non-toxic waste such as corn oil. We've got a bunch of corn and it wouldn't pollute the air. The bad thing is how much would we need and third world countries could use it...
I also wouldn't mind a type of vehicle that runs on air (chances of that are probably nothing, and it might suck the oxygen and good stuff out of the air).
Another thing that might not be bad is to run a car through nuclear power but I doubt that would happen and there's probably a bunch of risks.

Those are just some things I came up with, probably not the greatest ideas but hey, it's a start right?
__________________
Desktop: Dell Dimension E510, 2.5GB RAM, Intel P4 3.0GHZ, 250GB HDD, Windows Vista Premium. Might not be the best, but the old girl is still running good.
troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 12:09 AM   #26
Golden Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,091
Default Re: Alaskan Pipeline shutdown

See? What I said, if ignored, will be like a boomerang.
You throw it and it hits you hard in the back.
lhuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 04:42 PM   #27
Daemon Poster
 
PerfectSK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 982
Default Re: Alaskan Pipeline shutdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrizX
Along with tigher restrictions for vehicel emmisions in 3rd world contries, but we all know nothing of this sort will happen.
The US is the leading country with greenhouse gas emissions. It's not like this gonna get fixed in one day. We just need to get a plan together, and maybe we can save the future. The effects of global warming have already begun to take its toll on earth.
__________________
Rig -- Emachines T5026, 3.06ghz P4, 300W Bestec PSU, 160 sata hd, 512mb dual channel 3200 ram @ 3-3-5-8, ATI Radeon 9250 pci, dual layer 16x dvd+/-rw.
PerfectSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 06:52 PM   #28
Daemon Poster
 
mayorredbeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,246
Default Re: Alaskan Pipeline shutdown

To all of you speaking of hydrogen cars:

Hydrogen is a completly impractical source of energy. The ideas nice, but impossible. Storing a volatile gas under pressure if you've never taken any science class ever is extremly unsafe, much more unsafe then gasoline.

What happens if you get in a car accident with a hydrogen car? Can you say kaboom? Where do we get elemental hydrogen from? The most abundant element in the universe yes, but also extremly reactive. Meaning elemental hydrogen is actually one of the rarest pure elements in the universe that we know of. Electrolysis? I think not, the amount of energy to split water into hydrogen and oxygen is purely massive. We'd be better off with electric cars.

Electric cars are also impractical. What is practical is a biodiesel-electric car hybrid. If we utilizied nuclear energy like france, we could easily produce %25-%50 of our energy from nuclear energy. It has no enviromental downside except for nuclear waste, which could be solved easily by any government effort to create a safe permanent storage facility. And with other alternative fuels such as ocean based hurricane-proof wind farms we could harness the power of hurricanes. Scientists estimated that hurricane katrina had wind farms in the gulf of mexico been in place could have created enough energy to run New York City for three days. Thats pretty impressive for one storm.

Then theirs natural geothermal heat generated by the earth to power steam turbines. Hydroelectric energy could also provide part of the energy solution. The technologies here, its not hydrogen, we just have no reason to change untill we deplete the world of oil. Thats why we need government tax incentives.
__________________
Karma/rep is always appreciated
01010010011001010110010001100010011001010110000101 11001001100100
010011110111010101110100

There are only 10 kinds of people in this world. Those who can read binary, and those who can't.
mayorredbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 07:53 PM   #29
Golden Master
 
ArrizX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 16,073
Send a message via MSN to ArrizX
Default Re: Alaskan Pipeline shutdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectSK
The US is the leading country with greenhouse gas emissions. It's not like this gonna get fixed in one day. We just need to get a plan together, and maybe we can save the future. The effects of global warming have already begun to take its toll on earth.
I realize that, but what if we had the low standerds, or no standards of most of the 3rd world countries out there? It would be much much worse then it is today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorredbeard
To all of you speaking of hydrogen cars:

Hydrogen is a completly impractical source of energy. The ideas nice, but impossible. Storing a volatile gas under pressure if you've never taken any science class ever is extremly unsafe, much more unsafe then gasoline.

What happens if you get in a car accident with a hydrogen car? Can you say kaboom? Where do we get elemental hydrogen from? The most abundant element in the universe yes, but also extremly reactive. Meaning elemental hydrogen is actually one of the rarest pure elements in the universe that we know of. Electrolysis? I think not, the amount of energy to split water into hydrogen and oxygen is purely massive. We'd be better off with electric cars.

Electric cars are also impractical. What is practical is a biodiesel-electric car hybrid. If we utilizied nuclear energy like france, we could easily produce %25-%50 of our energy from nuclear energy. It has no enviromental downside except for nuclear waste, which could be solved easily by any government effort to create a safe permanent storage facility. And with other alternative fuels such as ocean based hurricane-proof wind farms we could harness the power of hurricanes. Scientists estimated that hurricane katrina had wind farms in the gulf of mexico been in place could have created enough energy to run New York City for three days. Thats pretty impressive for one storm.

Then theirs natural geothermal heat generated by the earth to power steam turbines. Hydroelectric energy could also provide part of the energy solution. The technologies here, its not hydrogen, we just have no reason to change untill we deplete the world of oil. Thats why we need government tax incentives.
Oh wow, I had no idea. Im sure scientists are aware of all that, so why do they keep experimenting on an idea that is'nt plausable.
__________________
. ()()()()
./l ,[_\_\ ],
l---L ()lllllll()-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
ArrizX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 08:01 PM   #30
Daemon Poster
 
PerfectSK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 982
Default Re: Alaskan Pipeline shutdown

Because hydrogen is the most promising. It has the least side effects. Nuclear powered energy is not even an option. Dude, do you know how long it takes for the half life of a radioactive substance, to become less hazardous? You wouldn't have enough storage for it, and besides it could leak, polluting people's water supplies, and etc. You have to bury that stuff deep underground. It's just like another trash landfill, except it would be more dangerous. The one thing I found kind of interesting is reusing oil from fast food chains, cleaning it, and using it for car fuel. Seems kind of smart idea, but its expensive to clean it.

Edit - Windfarms, solar power, and hydroelectric are good alternatives, but can only provide so much energy. They take a lot of money to invest in, and the products aren't enough to keep them in working order in many countries.
__________________

__________________
Rig -- Emachines T5026, 3.06ghz P4, 300W Bestec PSU, 160 sata hd, 512mb dual channel 3200 ram @ 3-3-5-8, ATI Radeon 9250 pci, dual layer 16x dvd+/-rw.
PerfectSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0